What's new

Tell me more about ARM MacBook Pros (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey fellow Apple owners!

I have a 2019 13" Macbook Pro

Thinking of selling it to my brother in anticipation of the first ARM 13" Macbook Pro rumored to be coming out Q4.

What is going to be the main advantages of going with an ARM MBP?

Will it mean instant boot-up when you turn it on?

Will the laptop be more powerful than the Intel counterpart?

Fortunately, it sounds like these new MBPs will not be more expensive than what is available today.

Just kind of wondering what I am going to gain going with ARM besides much better battery life.

Of course, there is a great possibility that this is going to be a very bumpy transition filled with bugs and for that reason, feel free to talk me out of even considering an ARM-based MBP

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think this video pretty much answers all my questions. Pretty amazed at what we can expect from Apple in their next generation of laptops

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No one knows anything until they ship.

Presumably they’ll be performance competitive with current top-end intel laptop systems but with substantially more battery life. GPU will be fine for normal Apple stuff and App Store uses, but that’s the big unknown for heavy-lifting GPU-intensive professional uses.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Right. Could they go with similar form factor and much beefier CPU performance or similar CPU performance and muuuuch smaller form factor? Or some combination therein. Nobody knows yet. We all expect WOW out the gate tho!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I could be reading this wrong, but this comes from someone familiar with the Apple's terms for developers migrating to ARM.

If I am reading this correctly, it does seem to indicate a deadline for new hardware this fall

For those that don't understand Apple has to make Big Sur approximately double in size for the next two builds to do two processors, both Intel and their ARM Silicone.
Then 2022, goes back to normal size without Intel.
30 days away and Developers are having problems being ready to design an app to work for two different processors.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Will it mean instant boot-up when you turn it on?

I assume that the ARM-based laptops will have SSDs, and so you'll see the same fast boot-up times on them that you see on current Intel-based laptops with SSDs. Fast, but no faster. For "faster" (on either platform), use "Sleep".

Will the laptop be more powerful than the Intel counterpart?

Possibly in terms of graphics-related aspects that might be useful for ported iOS/iPadOS games.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks