What's new

WWDC 2016: New Macbook Pros? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have a current generation 13" Macbook Pro.

It is the most used device in my household. I use my portable laptop far more than my 27" Retina iMac.

That should tell you how important my laptop is to me.

I was considering buying a second laptop, the 2016 updated Macbook. It would not replace my PRO but supplement it.

Then I got to thinking...

WWDC is coming up.

What *if* Apple has actually managed to come up with a Macbook Pro that is as thin as a Macbook?

I mean, that's the ultimate goal, isn't it?

Anyone have any thoughts on what might be in store for the new Macbook Pros, if announced at WWDC?

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
One possible change might be the addition of USB-C ports with Thunderbolt 3 – possibly replacing both the existing Thunderbolt 2 ports and the existing USB 3.0 ports. This is speculation based on the timeframe that Intel announced several months ago for the Thunderbolt-over-USB-C technology.

if Apple makes this change, you might see support for driving external 5K (27-inch Retina iMac resolution) displays using a single cable. At the moment, I believe you need a 15-inch MBP with discrete graphics and two Thunderbolt cables to drive such a display.

The USB-C connector is smaller than the Thunderbolt 2 (MiniDisplayPort form factor) and USB 3.0 ones. However, I am not sure how much room Apple has to make the MBP thinner. Remember that the MBP uses faster (and hotter) CPUs than the 12-inch MB, accepts more soldered-in RAM, can take more flash (SSD) storage, etc. These things add up both in terms of the space that might be needed for the components themselves, and in the space required to provide cooling.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thomas,

Appreciate your speculation.

The ultimate goal for me -- for you -- and for Apple is to put a Macbook Pro in a Macbook form.

I agree that perhaps its too soon for that to happen.

If the Macbook Pros that are slated to be announced at WWDC have no major facelifts, then I'll just buy a Macbook. They generally go on sale for $1,000 and that would be my price point. Just need something basic processor and SSD wise.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
If I am reading the specs right, the MacBook processor draws a max of 4.5W, the current MacBook Pro 13" processor, 28W (might vary depending on actual CPU used). Even with updated CPUs, I think that is just too much heat to dissipate in a MacBook style design.

Personally, I would be happy if a new MacBook Pro 13 retina stayed at its current weight/size with its current ports but added a dedicated GPU (at least as an option) like the 15 inch. But again, at the 13's size that might not be possible.

I am looking to replace my MacBook Pro 15 (mid 2012). I had more or less decided I would probably switch to Windows 10 to get better hardware variety but decide to wait out this next refresh. If they don't screw up the MacBook Pro 13 too badly that will probably be my next machine.

-Keith

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My iPad Pro is my MacBook now!

It's great that can work for some....not me.

Apple needs to close the gap on IOS and OS X so that their portable devices work more like a computer. Working on an iPad is still too much like working on a mobile device. I still can't do daily HTF activities on the iPad.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
On the iPad, everything defaults to mobile. When you go to a website, you get the mobile version.

Yes, I understand there are shortcuts that can bring you to the desktop version.

However, even in the desktop version on an iPad you can't cut and paste large formatted material (which include photos) to the site and have it look proper.

Without a keyboard, cut and paste is cumbersome.

Everything is just a little bit harder to do on an iPad when it comes to heavy business use than it is on a laptop.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Which is why I recommend the Create for those who want to do pro work on the iPad Pro :) It's worth the extra weight for cut n paste and app tabbing alone to me. Bummer that they haven't made one yet for the 10"

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Which is why I recommend the Create for those who want to do pro work on the iPad Pro :) It's worth the extra weight for cut n paste and app tabbing alone to me. Bummer that they haven't made one yet for the 10"

It's on its way from Logitech. I have been in communication with them.

Still doesn't fully help the fact that everything defaults to "mobile" mode which doesn't allow you to do desktop things.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Not only that Dave, but go and read just about any review of the iPad Pro 9.7" and you will read the same thing.

Want to know why?

When Tim Cooke announced the 9.7" iPad Pro he made the mistake of saying something to the effect of, "This will replace the laptop."

Every single reviewer took him to task on that comment. It didn't sit well with a lot of people who knew that as long as the iPad was running on a mobile operating system, it could not replace the desktop.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My niece is getting an iPad Pro -- which is awesome. But it's going to be her college "laptop". Which concerns me.

Hopefully it goes well for her.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I wonder if Sam uses his iPad similarly to how I do: the iPad is a laptop replacement for me, at home, on vacation, and business travel. But I don't "work" on it. I do light email, reading forums and Facebook, shopping, and finding restaurants, and watching shows and playing some games. It's great. What I can't do on the iPad, that I'd need a laptop for, don't come close to justifying the cost and nuisance of carrying one.

But if I needed a mobile business computer, an iPad would be inadequate. So it is for Ron, I take it, it's not up to the task of running his business, of managing a website forum, and so on.

I'm not sure I want the iPad to be a true "laptop replacement", because I want improve at being an iPad, and not better at being a laptop.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Nope, I do real work on it in addition to the light duty travel mode stuff. Full MS Office doc editing incl spreadsheets. Multimedia edits. Outlook. Everything I need

And I am never bothered swapping to desktop sites. 90% of the time it starts there for me these days

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Nope, I do real work on it in addition to the light duty travel mode stuff. Full MS Office doc editing incl spreadsheets. Multimedia edits. Outlook. Everything I need

And I am never bothered swapping to desktop sites. 90% of the time it starts there for me these days
When you mention MS Office I'm reminded of the Pro's launch event when the Apple presenter said something along the lines of "and who know more about productivity then Microsoft?" The fan boys in the audience didn't know how to react so the presenter basically had to restart and make sure the fan boys didn't boo since the next guest speaker was a Microsoft employee.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sam,

Thank you for this. I haven't yet gotten to checking all the Mac sites this morning.

I am so hyped up for this new Macbook Pro, even though I have the latest 13" version.

I am really wondering what an OLED touch screen will be like and what Apple is proposing?

Is it a touch screen that is supposed to replace the F keys?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks