What's new

Macbook.....WOW!! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
To begin with, I am an owner of a 2015 Macbook Pro. It's loaded as far as processor and memory are concerned with an i7 processor and 16GB of memory. Very powerful laptop that has served my needs quite well.

When the new Macbook was announced last year, I was somewhat intrigued -- mostly by its design. I like to travel, and even the Macbook Pro is a bit too heavy for my tastes. The reason I bought an iPad Pro this year was simply for its portability. However, the iPad is no laptop. I really wanted something ultra-thin and ultra-light.

My biggest fear was how much slower a Macbook would be compared to the Pro. However, when I convinced myself that I only wanted to use it primarily for browsing and email (as well as working on this forum), I decided to the pull the plug.

This week I bought a space-grey Macbook. I just set it up this morning.

As the subject header clearly states.....WOW!!

First, this thing is unbelievably thin and light. I have never experienced a laptop like this before. I am sitting here typing with it on my lap and there's hardly any weight to it. The butterfly keys -- the one thing I thought I would have the most problems with -- are very easy to become accustomed to and I can type at full speed without any spelling errors.

I bought the basic model from B&H Photo, which is on sale this week for $1199. It is the most basic Intel dual-core m3 model available. Only 8GB of ram.

What surprises me the most is how responsive this laptop is with these unbelievably paltry specs. I mean, as far as launching apps and bouncing around the Internet, this Macbook is just as spry as the Pro. No, I am not saying the Macbook is just as fast as the Pro, but it's not slow enough that one would really notice the difference.

I have quite a few apps auto-loading when I start the Macbook. Looking at my iStats bar, there is absolutely no strain on the memory. So, even with 8GB of ram, I can have quite a few programs running at once.

Even going from the 13" Macbook Pro screen down to 12" made no difference at all to me. I optimized space in the display settings.

I communicate on several Mac forums outside of HTF. Someone on another forum told me, "You will love the Macbook so much that you will put the older Macbook Pro on the back burner." That person was correct. I much more prefer typing and working on this new Macbook than the Pro model. It doesn't get hot on my lap. It's not heavy. And really, I love the responsiveness of the butterfly keys. Oh, and Space Grey is a remarkable color.

This really is a remarkable little laptop. I am going to take it everywhere with me.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
My favorite bit of engineering on it - when it is closed you can lift the screen up with one finger yet the base stays put. #details

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My favorite bit of engineering on it - when it is closed you can lift the screen up with one finger yet the base stays put. #details

Exactly.

This thing is incredible. You can pick it up with two fingers. And, yes, the lid opens with one finger.

I am sitting here loving this computer looking at the larger brick of a 13" Macbook on the floor.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Nice to hear. If I were to buy a laptop, the MacBook is probably what I'd get. Something super light and iPad-like.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The most amazing thing about your review of the macbook is that 8gb of ram seems to be enough. That's a big WOW!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have my Macbook loaded wth more startup programs than I imagined possible and it's still kicking ass!

I think the savior here is the way Mac OS X is optimized for low-memory computers.

Yeah, 8GB seems to be plenty enough at the moment. There is very little memory strain according to iStats Menu.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have my Macbook loaded wth more startup programs than I imagined possible and it's still kicking ass!

I think the savior here is the way Mac OS X is optimized for low-memory computers.

Yeah, 8GB seems to be plenty enough at the moment. There is very little memory strain according to iStats Menu.
Can the memory be expanded at a later date?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The memory is soldered to the main board. There's no upgrade path available.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
To answer your question...

I bought the cheapest Macbook available. It was on sale for $1,199. It still may be at that price.

That gets you a M3 processor with 8GB of ram and 256 storage (which is more than enough storage for a secondary computer for travel needs).

I cannot emphasize this enough....

This laptop runs nearly as fast as my loaded i7 Macbook Pro with 16GB of ram.

There is just the *slightest* noticeable speed loss when opening programs or sometimes working with a photo in Photoshop.

Other than that, I am so friggin' happy with this laptop that I use it more than my Macbook Pro. The Pro feels like a heated brick on my lap compared to this Macbook. It's quite an achievement Apple has done with this Macbook. I absolutely love it.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Ron,

How do you find it working into your life when you also have the iPad Pro?

I want to get one or the other in the next year, but am torn. I like the form factor of a laptop, but keep thinking that an iOS device with its selection of apps, touch screen, Touch ID (with Apple Pay), Pencil, etc will give me more options...

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Patrick,

If those items are what you are specifically looking for, then you should be shopping for an iPad.

For me, and the work I do, I can't rely on an iPad because that device still works on a mobile platform. I need OS X.

However, if drawing and Apple Pay and apps is your primary wants, then an iPad Pro is for you.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Ron,
Didn't you see my MacBook (Space Grey), on the last HTF meet last year. I know I talked to you about it, and I thought I'd shown it to you. A GREAT traveling laptop with GREAT battery life also. And a Retina display...
Raul

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Raul,

I believe you did. However, at the time, my interest in buying one was minimal. I think I do remember liking the color which is the reason why I went space grey.

I take it you agree that it's a tremendous laptop.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I communicate on several Mac forums outside of HTF. Someone on another forum told me, "You will love the Macbook so much that you will put the older Macbook Pro on the back burner." That person was correct. I much more prefer typing and working on this new Macbook than the Pro model. It doesn't get hot on my lap. It's not heavy. And really, I love the responsiveness of the butterfly keys. Oh, and Space Grey is a remarkable color.

This really is a remarkable little laptop. I am going to take it everywhere with me.
What are those forums?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks