What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Tell me about Costco and their Blu-ray selection and prices (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
20150226_131859.jpg

20150226_131925.jpg

Two new finds at Costco in La Habra, CA

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
On new releases, Costco is rarely the least expensive store. But Costco frequently has great deals on catalog titles. We stop at the Blu-ray section every time we go to Costco (which is about 1-2 times per week).

As an aside, we buy ALL of our meats and seafood at Costco. The quality is top-notch and the product moves so quickly you always know you're getting fresh stuff. And Costco's price on a bag of avocados is usually hard to beat, particularly for the size of the avos. We always have avocados in the house (a stable around here). Terrific to snack on! Oh, and Costco's wine selection is not huge, but decent, with prices that can't easily be beat.

Mark

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Was so excited about going to Costco this morning. I had one primary purchase in mind...

Buy Criterion's THE ROSE for $19.99

After all, my local store had been carrying a decent selection of Criterion titles for a good couple of months now.

Well, I walked away empty-handed.

Not only did they not have THE ROSE, there wasn't one single Criterion title in their product area.

Looks like my Costco pulled all their Criterion titles.

Looks like I will be waiting for the eventual Amazon price drop.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The B&N Criterion sale is just around the corner in July, so you should be able to get it then for $19.99.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bob Cashill said:
The B&N Criterion sale is just around the corner in July, so you should be able to get it then for $19.99.

Rather not buy it through B&N as I will be charged outrageous shipping. I don't know what hoops I have to jump through to qualify for their sale prices.

Appreciate the heads-up, though. There are a few Wes Anderson titles I am interested in.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:
Was so excited about going to Costco this morning. I had one primary purchase in mind...

Buy Criterion's THE ROSE for $19.99

After all, my local store had been carrying a decent selection of Criterion titles for a good couple of months now.

Well, I walked away empty-handed.

Not only did they not have THE ROSE, there wasn't one single Criterion title in their product area.

Looks like my Costco pulled all their Criterion titles.

Looks like I will be waiting for the eventual Amazon price drop.

Did you look around? My Costco had a separate cardboard "waterfall" display full of Criterion titles on one of the endcaps near the books/movies aisle. I just bought "The Rose" there this past weekend. A number of other titles were also included in this display, for $19.99 each.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Malcolm R said:
Did you look around? My Costco had a separate cardboard "waterfall" display full of Criterion titles on one of the endcaps near the books/movies aisle. I just bought "The Rose" there this past weekend. A number of other titles were also included in this display, for $19.99 each.

Malcolm,

You know what? I oughta go back. I may have missed that.

It's funny that none of the usual Criterion titles where were they usually resided.

Perhaps I should have looked further down the aisle. I am going to take a ride back to the club early next week.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:
It's funny that none of the usual Criterion titles where were they usually resided.

I didn't see any Criterion in the usual aisle, just on the display.

The peaches are delicious at Costco right now, too. Make sure you wear a bib, as the juice will run down your chin. ^_^

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Malcolm,

Aren't you just full of useful Costco shipping tips today.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave Moritz said:
Did you get your movie Ronald ?

If you mean THE ROSE, no.

Either my Costco pulled all the Criterion titles from their display area -or- as Malcolm as pointed out, has a cardboard waterfall display that I totally missed.

I know the end aisle cardboard display (at least on one side) was devoted to AMERICAN SNIPER. I may have missed another cardboard display. I will go back to the store in a few days.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Movies come and go at Costco. One day they may have a ton, the next bupkis. Then a nice selection again. It's not a great store to count on finding exactly the title you're looking for (unless it's a current week major release).

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
This week I bought THE ROSE, SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS, HOOP DREAMS and CRIES AND WHISPERS. There were a few other older titles @ Costco, but these were the only ones I didn't own.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Mike Frezon said:
I HATE this thread.
angry-smiley-053.gif

:biggrin:

As someone at this forum who closely watches for good deals on DVD & Blu titles, I have heard one story after another over the years about great deals at Costco.

AND...there's not a single Costco anywhere near me!

Okay. I'm done.

Carry on. :thumbsup:

Popcornbag.gif
Hi Mike!

My sentiments exactly!

Unfortunately, like yourself, we're located in a Costco Black Hole Region! According to the Costco Bean Counters, North Bay is considered too close to the next nearest one in Sudbury, which is close to a 90 minute drive away. That neither my wife or I drive also doesn't help matters!

With a sizable space just down the road from us left void with the recent Target Canada closings, I can't help but think it would be ideal for a Costco, but I know darn well that I'm just dreaming! In fact, from what I've heard, it'll more than likely be divided up into several smaller Outlets, as these are tough times for Brick & Mortar Retailers! :(

Well, we do always have Amazon and other online options. It's better than nothing at all!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
My local Costco has occasionally had amazing deals (if memory serves, that's where I got the Lawrence box, and I've lucked out on some 3D titles), but I find myself going more and more to online buying, as titles I really want don't get stocked locally or are only available online, like Twilight Time titles or Flicker Alley.

*Thinks twice about ranting on the subject of having to go to Great Falls MT to track down a copy of Guys and Dolls.*

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
Rather not buy it through B&N as I will be charged outrageous shipping. I don't know what hoops I have to jump through to qualify for their sale prices.

Appreciate the heads-up, though. There are a few Wes Anderson titles I am interested in.

BN has Free Shipping for $25+ or it's free with a membership (even the 60day Free Trial memberships). The sale prices are available to everyone so no hoops at all. There are frequently(almost always) extra 15-20% coupons or bigger in November to sweeten the deals.

The best deals of course still are instore for those who have local BN store with Media departments (or a store willing to order items for pickup) so you can get the membership 10% store discounts plus possible extra coupons. I average $14-15 in July and $12-13 in November even after tax.

Getting normal 39.99 Criterions for 19.99 base price is pretty typical -- BN 50% sales in July/Nov, Criterion 50% Flash sales (usually Feb/March and Sept/Oct) though FS is $50, even Amazon and BBY will do 50% sales occasionally, Deep Discount will be in the ballpark. Extra discounts/coupons, Sales Tax and shipping obviously change the numbers. Costco usually sells theirs at 19.99 though they rarely have more than 4-6 at a time and almost always recect items other than Seven Samurai which seems to be a staple.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
David Norman said:
BN has Free Shipping for $25+ or it's free with a membership (even the 60day Free Trial memberships). The sale prices are available to everyone so no hoops at all. There are frequently(almost always) extra 15-20% coupons or bigger in November to sweeten the deals.

The best deals of course still are instore for those who have local BN store with Media departments (or a store willing to order items for pickup) so you can get the membership 10% store discounts plus possible extra coupons. I average $14-15 in July and $12-13 in November even after tax.

BN is aggressively competing with Amazon and the best deals are definitely ONLINE not in-store anymore. The online prices at BN are easily 20-30% less than if you walk off the street into a store. So, if you use the coupons online, you will always get a better price than the store itself (but consider shipping and keep the total above $25 for free ship). I order quite frequently from BN, but they just closed my local store and it was becoming obvious they were trying to drive more traffic online than to the store by keeping the prices online much better and NOT MATCHING THEM in the store.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hollywoodaholic said:
BN is aggressively competing with Amazon and the best deals are definitely ONLINE not in-store anymore. The online prices at BN are easily 20-30% less than if you walk off the street into a store. So, if you use the coupons online, you will always get a better price than the store itself (but consider shipping and keep the total above $25 for free ship). I order quite frequently from BN, but they just closed my local store and it was becoming obvious they were trying to drive more traffic online than to the store by keeping the prices online much better and NOT MATCHING THEM in the store.

That isn't necessarily true during the big sales though outside of those big sales online is the way to go. The online/instore differential has almost always been that way and BN has never matched their web price.

During the 40% off sales the online and web prices should be the same since the discount is based on MSRP and many items will be 40% off in store that cost more online. Even with 40% and coupons there are still items cheaper elsewhere (TV series and older items) I find frequently are discounted more at other stores

Criterions, Flicker Alley, Olive, Specialty studios OTOH that are rarely discounted anywhere can be had for a steal. You sometimes have to order those items for store pickup in order to get those prices/coupons.

Example -- the new Goodfellas Anniversary is an item that is unlikely to fall much based on other releases in that SE style. The best price anywhere for it has been 24.49 and that may be the cheapest for a long time, but it could be bought for around $15 during the 40%sale with member and 20%.

The Criterion sales are a slam dunk in-store and there is just no other way I'm aware to get them Brand New as cheaply.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks