What's new

Talking Heads Box Set-DualDiscs? (1 Viewer)

AricB

Second Unit
I was just at Best Buy and saw a box set of all 8 studio albums for $149, dual discs with advanced resolution surround, dolby digital surround, and stereo.

did anyone know about this? does anyone know if the discs will be released seperately?

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
I bought a set today[cost $149.95 at Border's]and i'd say it's worth every penny imho.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Most people seem happy with both the remastered songs (some of the catalog was already improved for last year's incomplete and unwieldy box set) and also the 5.1 surround remixes, which have received quite a lot of praise so far.

Be warned, there have been numerous complaints about the thicker dual-discs (DVD on one side, CD on the other) not playing in some players and/or skipping harshly.

Those who haven't had a problem describe the sonic improvements, on the earlier albums especially, as "revelatory". I love the early Heads albums so this set is going to be hard to resist.

But yeah, there's no way I'm affording this right now. Rumor has it that individual releases will be made available around the beginning months of 2006.

For those interested, here's a good review of the set from the All Music Guide:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...1jqoa9aeijr~T1

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Wow, I'm falling so far behind in music. I had no idea this was coming out.

Amazon has the set for $120. With their free shipping that's the best deal I've found. CD Universe actually has it cheaper, but when you add shipping it ends up a bit higher than Amazon. Anybody seen a better deal?

The All Music review includes this quote:

Seems a little extreme to me. All of the DualDiscs I've got (which admittedly isn't a whole lot) not only play in my car, they were all easily ripped to iTunes on my PC.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Perhaps a little extreme, but DualDiscs *do* have compatibility issues with some players. For example, they work fine in my car and both CD drives in my computer, but they absolutely will not play in my Denon DVD-2900 player. I have to rip the CD side to a CD-R to play it on the Denon.

AricB

Second Unit
Thanks Steve Y, I have several DualDiscs and all play fine in the player i use, so i'm not to concerned but a good point.

I think i may have to order these from amazon.:D

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
There are many reported issues with DualDiscs (that's why they were responsibly reported in allmusic.com). That does not mean everyone will have the issues with what equipment they own. I've seen posts and also know people indicating some won't play on a particular player for someone and it will play on the same player for someone else, probably due to hardware/software variations. I have not bought one and don't intend to under any circumstances as there is a good possibility that over time they may not be healthy for one's transport. There is more music out there than I can buy and I'll just move on to something on my list that definitely won'tbe an issue. It would be nice if they releases plain old DVD-As. I hope when an if they do the Doors set it is just DVD-A but I'm not hopeful seeing the trend of current releases. I just read somewhere that Jackson Brown's "Running on Empty" is again slated for a release, in mid- Nov. as a DualDisc.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I realize that there are issues with DualDiscs and player compatibility, but the reviewer specifically said "almost surely won't play on any computer or car stereo". It's the "almost surely" and "any" parts that I think are a little extreme. A better wording would have been "possibly won't play on your computer or car stereo".

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I don't suppose the "Naked" disc still has the CD+Graphics on it? This was the first disc to use CD+G, but it never really caught on. It's only being used for karaoke discs nowadays.

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
The Jackson Browne disc is listed as a CD/DVD disc, at least per that link and the sites that show it for pre-order. Like the REM releases. Not a DualDisc.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Perhaps, I misread it. If so, that is great news at least to me. Would prefer just a DVD-A but I'd still pick it up.

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
I think the release of "Brick" is the most historic in the history of "Hi-Rez". Blows the Dylan and Stones releases out of the water.
I have no problems with any of players I've tried DD.
Makes me wish that we could see the Dire Straits catalog or those Steely Dan albums come out.
I'd prefer cd/DVD releases like REM...but I have zero complaints about "Brick" Well done package, fantastic sound.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Hardly, IMO. The content is undeniably great but the choice of delivery vehicle is sheer stupidity. For those of us who's industry standard DVD players cannot handle DualDiscs because they do not conform to any industry standard, the Talking Heads Brick is worthless. I really wish that this format would die a quick death. Why the music industry continues to push DualDisc on the public when its inherent problems are well documented is beyond me.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Doug, I agree totally, but we live in a society where many grew up on MTV videos and instant gratification. I remember the good old days even before stuff like fax machines, let along E-Mail and IMs. DualDisc gives more added value to some who obviously don't want to consider what a disc that weighs 20% more on avg. than std. media will do to their transports over time. Mass market hardware products are gotten to market at specific price points and do not take into acct. non-std. discs and no one can really answer what will happen over time. With more music than I can buy, I don't see the need to risk the life span of my hardware and enjoyment of what I can buy. I am not about to play DualDiscs in my hardware any more than I want to tape a bunch of change to a std. disc to see what my hardware can tolerate. DualDiscs have sold well and the manuf. have covered themselves with disclaimers to cover any potential legal issues. Given that, I don't see them disappearing as fast as you or I would like.

Flasshe

Agent
Real Name
Rog
I only halfway understand the objections to DualDisc, but maybe that's because I've had good luck with them. The only player I've had problems with is an old portable one, and even that has only failed to play 2 or 3 discs. My car and computer players have played them all.

I've never heard the "wearing down the transport" thing, since I haven't been following the debate too closely. But even if it's true, that's not a big deal for me. All my money is in the software, not the hardware. I can't begin to count the number of CD and DVD players I've owned over the years. And even so, compared to what I've spent on CDs and DVDs, the hardware expense has been a tiny fraction. I doubt I would use any one player long enough with enough DualDiscs to wreck it. And even if I did, I'd just buy a new one. My most expensive player is my universal DVD-Video/DVD-Audio/SACD player, and I somehow doubt it's going to crap out anytime soon from DualDiscs. There will probably be a new format out requiring new hardware before that will happen. Equipment lifespan isn't what it used to be, and not just because of breakdowns.

I rarely play the CD side of DualDiscs anyway. If it's a catalog title, I've probably already got a CD of it. If it's a new (or remastered) title, I rip the CD to iTunes & my iPod and rarely play the CD again. The DVD side gets more play.

So though I kind of get the DualDisc objections, I don't feel they really apply to me, and I don't understand the Hate and Venom. Since HiRez seems to be dying the Big Death, I'll take it any way I can get it these days. I'd rather have the TH catalog in 5.1 HiRez DualDiscs than not have them at all. Like it or not, the marketplace has spoken.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I don't think it's hate or venom. I've posted about new DualDiscs in a few instances even though I personally have no interest in them. I have fairly expensive equipment in the main system and with more than I can listen to (have CDs sitting there for mos. literally) and more one the way I don't feel the need to experiment with what it may or may not do over time since the manuf. have issued disclaimers. There is nothing on the format that is must own for me given the potential problems. I've already compared the CD playback in the main system to a few cheap universal players playing DVD-As on hand and while there are positives and negatives, I prefer my CD playback vs. what I've heard. I expect that is a good possibility that future machines from some manuf. will indicate they play DualDiscs (given the fact that have sold decently) and if at some point down the road I end up replacing what is in the bedroom system with a cheap universal player and run out of things to buy, which is doubtful, I'll look what is available that I might want. I also don't have any interest in the video features so I don't see the added value that someone who likes these would want.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It's definitely not hate or venom for me. I just wonder why yet another "high-res" format has been put into the pipeline when DVD-A and SACD have failed pretty miserably as mainstream consumer products. Add in the physical media issues with DualDisc and it seems like a concept that was thought up at lunch by the marketing department, rushed through R&D and manufacturing, then dumped into to the marketplace without sufficient testing. To capitalize on what? The stellar sales of DVD-A and SACD? :) Many times DualDisc releases lack true high-res audio *anyway*. The promotion for this product has been lackluster and single disc releases are mixed right in with the regular Redbook CDs at most stores. It seems to have the same half-hearted push behind it that doomed DVD-A/SACD from the get-go. Yet here we have the music industry releasing box sets by prominent artists *excusively* on DualDisc. Not good IMO.

At this point I hardly think that the MARKETPLACE has spoken; it's the MARKETING DEPARTMENT that has spoken. DualDisc is by no means a successful format yet, certainly far less so than DVD-A or SACD and they occupy a very tiny niche of the music market. I can only hope that, in light of it's current limitations, DualDisc never gets a real foothold.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks