What's new

SVS subwoofer connection **Tip (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Tony Novacek
So I have had my SVS PB12- NSD/2 sub for about 2 years now and it has been amazing. Love it to death. I have it connected from my H/K AVR347 via a 50ft. interconnect coax cable that I got from SVS.

The other day I was reading through some HT content somewhere on the net. I saw something about putting a "Y" splitter on the sub coax cable and have it plug into both the "L" and "R" inputs of the sub. Mine was only plugged into one of the two inputs this whole time. I had a splitter laying around so I deceided to give it a shot.

To my surprise there was a difference. The sub sounds fuller and louder. WOW! So to make sure it wasn't in my head I pulled out the SPL meter and did a before and after and with the Y splitter it was about a 5 db higher. So recalibrated real quick and popped in my Ironman bluray that I just recently watched. I have no "proof", but it definitely sounded better to me ears and I could feel it more....lol.

Just passing my experience along and wondering if i'm full of it or not..lol?

Thanks! ;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Good tip, Tony.
I've had my svs connected this way for a bunch of years.
I never compared but since you did I guess I'll never have to.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yes, it is louder, but the only thing you did was make it louder. Now it is no longer calibrated with the rest of your system. You could accomplish the same thing by turning up the volume.

As soon as you recalibrate, it should sound the same as before (assuming no placebo effect, of course). SVS has commented on this many times, but of course I can't find a link.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
he did re-cal.

Originally Posted by Tony Novacek
........ So recalibrated real quick and popped in my Ironman bluray that I just recently watched. I have no "proof", but it definitely sounded better to me ears and I could feel it more....lol.

Just passing my experience along and wondering if i'm full of it or not..lol?

Thanks! ;)

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
From my SVS PB12 Ultra/2 manual:

"Hook-up (see fig. 1). There are a variety of ways to configure your
new sub. Usually, a simple mono, shielded 75 Ohm A/V RCA type
cable (a.) is used to take the subwoofer output of your DD/DTS
surround sound receiver (b.) and feed the low-level input of the sub’s
amp. There is no need to “split” the signal going to the sub (c.). You
can feed either one of the two amp inputs, it doesn’t matter, right or left."

Also, a few threads addressing this question:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/73827/to-y-or-not-to-y-that-is-the-question
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/134038/effect-of-y-adapter-to-subwoofer

Plus I swear SVS directly answered this but I cannot find the darn link. Oh well, it is not hurting anything either way.

Real Name
Tony Novacek
Cool, thanks for the info fellas. I'm sure it is just louder and maybe it's an illusion that it sounded better. I did recalibrate and my I swear the bass sounded different (better/fuller) but who knows maybe I calibrated it a little different this time making it sound better.

Thanks for the links!

LandSharkUA

Auditioning
Real Name
Shane
Tony, I think you have now ruined your sub and you should give it to me and get a new one :)...Dammit I want an SVS!

Real Name
Tony Novacek
Haha, good try! :D

You will get one eventually. That's how I felt before I bought mine. Kept trying to come up with the money for a PB12 Plus/2 but ended up just going with an NSD/2. I was skeptical about buying from there "entry" level line. Well long story short, I am amazed at how well it performs. I couldn't even imagine how good SVS's middle and high end subs sound...lol.

LandSharkUA

Auditioning
Real Name
Shane
Right now I'm have 2 Velodynes and running both of them. I am going to sell those and maybe a couple of Go Video dual VCR's I have and just going to get the 13 Ultra. Maybe I can find one used. I just watched Land Of The Lost and the velo's bottomed out several times when the Dino's were walking and when Will Ferrell gets into the stretched Hummer Limo they played a hip hop song in the back ground...sounded like the Velo's were going to blow. Granted they didn't have it in on BluRay so I had to watch it on reg DVD which usually means more bottomed out bass.

Real Name
Tony Novacek
Nice choice. I can say that my nsd/2 has never bottomed out. So with the ultra, I'm sure you most definitely won't have that problem anymore.

Good luck with your future purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks