What's new

SVS is coming my way! (1 Viewer)

Joey_V

Second Unit
I just bought an SVS 22-31PCi after much consideration between subs from HSU and SVS. However, after the dust settled, one sub remained... and i bought it!

Thanks Tom for all the corresponding emails. Also, thanks to the posters of this forum.... for your numerous threads of the two fine sub companies have helped me over this agonizing decision! ;)

update:
It just shipped today!! I wonder how long it takes to get to Illinois... hmm..:D

Joey_V

Second Unit
how does a bash amplifier compare to a conventional class ab amplifier (like the ones you can buy at partsexpress.com to power a subwoofer)? since the bash amp is more efficient, would a 320 watt bash amp compare favorable against a 500 watt class ab amp?

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
Joey,

I'm in Missouri and if I recall correctly it took 2 days. Use the ups.com tracking system and watch it as it makes the journey to your front door.

congrats- you're gonna love it. :D

P.S. I see you have Axioms- I'm thinking about getting a set, how do you like them? Let me know how well they blend with the PCi.

Joey_V

Second Unit
will do! the axioms with my current infinity subwoofer is already great... they sound really nice while on tall tall stands. i have tried several stands - 24", 28", and 31". I have settled with the 31" stands and have the tweeter a little over an inch or two above my ears.

very transparent, very wide soundstage, balanced, very dynamic... i love them. i prefer these over my parent's klipsch floorstanders (SF-2) or the RF3 (reference floorstanding 3).

i will post my impressions of the PCi together with the axiom set soon.

my question regarding the BASH vs AB still stands, however, is a 350W bash amp equal to roughly a 500w AB amp due to the greater efficiency of the BASH amp?

thanks!!

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
There really isnt a real way to tell joey. Unless you can get the efficency rating of both amps. Plus it dont think it is too important. You have to pretty much almost double your power to get a noticable difference in sound.

I have a 20-39PC+ with 500 watt bash amp. It is more than enough for a large room. I have plenty of head room.

Joey_V

Second Unit
thanks Jesse.. but i guess it can definitely be inferred that a 350w bash amp outperforms a 350w class AB amp.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Actually, it depends. The RMS power output for each amplifier is still going to be 350 watts. You want to look at damping factor, which is the amount of control exerted over the cone. The only fundamental difference is that the the BASH amplifier uses a switching power supply, probably Pulse Width Modulation or something like that. The bottom line is that one produces less heat than the other and draws less current at idle than the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks