What's new

Surround under $1000 (1 Viewer)

vpmach1

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Hey everyone! New to the site and I have read quite a bit, expecially the Premier Acoustic discussion! Anyhow I would like to get some opinions of what would best suit my needs. I already have a low end reciever and I think that will be fine since I am not spending a whole lot on speakers. What is the best surround speakers for 90% movies, 10% music for under $1000? I would prefer a smaller speaker setup, no towers. I have been looking at the ONIX X series but would like to know what else I should be looking at. Thanks in advance!

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I assume the $1000 includes a sub too. Other systems to look into would be Paradigm Atom (x4)/CC 170/PDR-8 or Ascend 170/200 + small sub of your choice. I've heard a decent JBL system can be put together in that price range too but I'm not remotely familiar with them. I happen to really like the Onix, I have a pair of x-ls in my bedroom system and love them. I'm sure there are plenty of other options that others will chime in with too.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
i'll add my standard best deal package to the list. that's the alpha c package from saturday audio. for $850 you get 5 alpha c's and the monitor audio sub. if you want more bass get the 5 alphas c's ($600) and order the svs pb10($430 last time i looked). it'll push you over the $1000 mark by a little but you'll have more power and a lower low end.

good luck

vpmach1

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Looks like shipping is going to hinder my decision. I am at an APO and the items will have to ship thru USPS and that is jacking up the price a lot. However, if I order thru a military only store, I will get free shipping. Here is the selection for around $1000 area:

Bose Acoustimass 10 series IV
Infinity Beta Series (not towers)
Polk 185i
B&M

If anyone knows of a place that will ship to an APO thru USPS, please let me know!!!

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
i just hit the wrong thing and lost my post half way through. not quite as bad as not being able to get reasonable shipping to where i am.

i was suggesting audio advisor for the athena audition series.
2 pair B1 bookshelves @ $120 ea
1 C1 center @ $150
1 P-6000 sub @ $300
that brings the subtotal in under $700 w/o shipping. this will be a very respectable system IMO. you're certainly not going to do better for this $$.

as for the shipping, call audioadvisor directly and ask them what they can do for the items you want. the website is very clear that they ship any where in the US including alaska and HI, no mention of except APO.

as for the products you listed, the only thing i'll comment on is the bose. stay away from the bose acoustimass series for anything. it is significantly overpriced for the sound it produces and the build quality/ materials. their bookshelves may be ok for certain applications where you want the whole space to have the same sound, like a party room, but they're bad for stereo imaging or HT applications.

hope this helps

vpmach1

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Well thanks guys for the options! I did end up going with Athens ASF2.2 Home Theater Package for $899 + $154 shipping for a grand total of $1054 (thanks MaxL). Got this from Audio Adviser.

Comes with
2 Athena Audition F2.2 Tower Speakers
1 Athena Audition C1.2 Center Channel Speaker
2 Athena Audition AS-R1.2 Surround Speaker
1 Athena Audition AS-P6000 Sub

I was very close to buying the B&W 300 series. But after seeing the Athens and the sub that went with it, I could not resist...expecially for the price and all the good reviews. I know it's with towers that I said I didn't want, but I had too when it is only $200 more than the bookshelf's.

So what do you guys think? Good choice?

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
i think so. i've been very tempted by those towers on sheer value alone. when listening to music i think the towers will give you a more open sound and better imaging than the b1's. for movies, less difference but still a better speaker overall. for anyone interested in skipping the sub, those towers get down to 35hz relatively loudly and cleanly, amazing for $400.

i hope you enjoy them.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think so too. The AS line are hard to beat for the prices that AA sells them for. They are not perfect speakers (no such thing?) but they are certainly no slouch either. I was quite impressed with the B1s that I had.

CWiz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck Webb
I just heard a paradigm set up 5.1 w/a 10" sub and di-pole rears over the weekend. it sounded phenomenal and was only $800. i was very impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks