What's new

Some 4k questions & confusion (1 Viewer)

Tylerf1986

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyler
Hey guys,

So I have been recently looking at upgrading my 65" Samsung LEDtv to a new 65" 4k screen. With my current setup, my home theater consists of my PC and PS4 plugged into my surround sound receiver, receiver into TV. I don't have cable television and use my PC for everything - Kodi, Netflix and gaming.

I like to have my PC do it all and have never seen the need to buy something like a "Kodi box". However, after looking deeper into this 4k upgrade, the costs are adding up if I want actual 4k content.

-My PC is a decently powerful gaming PC, custom built. It has a GTX 960 which I know I won't be 4k gaming on, but which is supposedly HDMI 2.0 compatible, in turn, allowing me to stream 4k Netflix and other material. In a recent article though, I read that I would need one of Nvidias newer cards in the GTX 10xx line to do this... I don't believe this to be correct, is it?

Question#1 - Can my PC do 4k video, including Netflix?

Question#2 - is 4k Kodi only attainable on something like Nvidias Shield Box? This is probably my biggest question. I spend majority of time on Kodi.

Question#3 - I am going to assume my ~5 year old LG audio receiver is not hdmi 2.0/4k compatible. What should I be shopping for in that department?Preferably under $500.

With all that said, I plan on upgrading my PS4 to the new 4k version which would also allow me to use Netflix on that if I really had to.

I guess it all boils down to 4k value for money.

1 - spend upwards of $1000 on new graphics card for PC and future proofing my PC for a considerable amount of time, including opening door for 4k PC gaming.

2 - spend a few hundred on Nvidia Shield Box and be able to stream all my applications I use in 4k.

3 - leave everything as is and spend a very minimal amount ($100+) upgrading PS4. Use console for Netflix, 4k gaming, and settle for regular HD Kodi for the time being

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks