What's new

Super Deluxe Edition of The Sound of Music Soundtrack is Coming 12-01-23 (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to hear about disc 2 being duplicated for disc 4 in the set.

I was going to order this set, but now I wonder if I should wait a little while for corrected sets.

Reactions: PMF

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I received this email from Craft yesterday (I had ordered directly from them). I am not disappointed in the delay, I would rather get the correct version.

We apologize for the delay with receiving your order of the Super Deluxe Edition of The Sound of Music box set. We've been made aware of an issue whereby the manufacturer used incorrect audio on Disc 4 (repeating the Disc 2 program). Unfortunately, we’ve therefore needed to hold further copies being dispatched until the issue is resolved.

We much appreciate your understanding and patience as we work to rectify this situation. We want your set to be perfect, so our sincere apologies again for any disappointment.

Corrected sets are now expected to ship by February 2, 2024.

- Craft Recordings Team

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I received this email from Craft yesterday (I had ordered directly from them). I am not disappointed in the delay, I would rather get the correct version.

We apologize for the delay with receiving your order of the Super Deluxe Edition of The Sound of Music box set. We've been made aware of an issue whereby the manufacturer used incorrect audio on Disc 4 (repeating the Disc 2 program). Unfortunately, we’ve therefore needed to hold further copies being dispatched until the issue is resolved.

We much appreciate your understanding and patience as we work to rectify this situation. We want your set to be perfect, so our sincere apologies again for any disappointment.

Corrected sets are now expected to ship by February 2, 2024.

- Craft Recordings Team
Thanks Kevin! That answers my question.

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY

For me not as good as the songs with Hammerstein's lyrics but it is a song that is needed to Maria from the convent to the Von Trapp's villa. I often wondered if he had lived what lyrics Hammerstein would had written for that song. Nothing like those I don't think and considering Rodgers would have written his music after the words I suppose the song would have been an entirely different one. Like 'Something Good' I know had he lived they would have written a replacement song for the film, as if it hadn't been for his illness they were going to take out an 'Ordinary Couple' from the stage version and write another, again I don't think think he would have written lyrics like Rodgers for the song, so guided by Hammerstein's lyrics again the tune would have been entirely different.
Given the puppet show I don't think Hammerstein would have allowed 'The Lonely Goatherd' to accompany that, and would probably insisted they written a totally ne song for the sequence.

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
I think Mr. Plummer did a fine job. Go figure. Very excited. Already put in my order on Amazon.
Concur Chris Plummer own voice is good, Afterall the Captain isn't meant to be a professional singer, I would say Chris Plummer's own voice was as good as stage original Captain Theo Bikel on the cast album.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
For me not as good as the songs with Hammerstein's lyrics but it is a song that is needed to Maria from the convent to the Von Trapp's villa. I often wondered if he had lived what lyrics Hammerstein would had written for that song. Nothing like those I don't think and considering Rodgers would have written his music after the words I suppose the song would have been an entirely different one. Like 'Something Good' I know had he lived they would have written a replacement song for the film, as if it hadn't been for his illness they were going to take out an 'Ordinary Couple' from the stage version and write another, again I don't think think he would have written lyrics like Rodgers for the song, so guided by Hammerstein's lyrics again the tune would have been entirely different.
Given the puppet show I don't think Hammerstein would have allowed 'The Lonely Goatherd' to accompany that, and would probably insisted they written a totally ne song for the sequence.

As far as I Have Confidence is concerned, the second Celluloid Dreams podcast (found on Post 48) on this release revealed that Saul Chaplin (the Associate Procucer on the film) apparently had a hand with some of the lyrics.

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
As far as I Have Confidence is concerned, the second Celluloid Dreams podcast (found on Post 48) on this release revealed that Saul Chaplin (the Associate Producer on the film) apparently had a hand with some of the lyrics.
He did indeed as he wasn't complete happy with Rodgers interpretation , as he said Rodgers never actually travel to Austria to see where the song would be sung.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Amazon is still selling the Super Deluxe set with the wrong disc 4. Customer ratings for the set mention the problem and consequently are giving the set a low rating Glad it is mentioned . Sorry it gives the product a low rating as it will be corrected. Amazon has removed items from sale in the past when they are made aware of a defect causing them to get a high rate of return for a product. Maybe people are not returning it? If being given as a Christmas gift this will be a big disappointment and may explain the lower return rate. The digital version on iTunes has the correct music that would be on disc 4.

This is probably mentioned above. If you received the set with the defective disc 4 email

[email protected]

to advise Craft and get a corrected disc 4 when available.
One poster on Amazon mentioned
"Tell them you ordered through Amazon. It would be a good idea to include lot numbers. They're on the underside of the disc near the hub: Mine starts with 303903, then a little further around the disc is a number that begins with DFM, then further around the disc and extremely tiny (I had to use a magnifying glass) is the last number, starting with LBR."

Last edited:

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
Amazon is still selling the Super Deluxe set with the wrong disc 4. Customer ratings for the set mention the problem and consequently are giving the set a low rating Glad it is mentioned . Sorry it gives the product a low rating as it will be corrected. Amazon has removed items from sale in the past when they are made aware of a defect causing them to get a high rate of return for a product. Maybe people are not returning it? If being given as a Christmas gift this will be a big disappointment and may explain the lower return rate. The digital version on iTunes has the correct music that would be on disc 4.

This is probably mentioned above. If you received the set with the defective disc 4 email

[email protected]

to advise Craft and get a corrected disc 4 when available.
One poster on Amazon mentioned
"Tell them you ordered through Amazon. It would be a good idea to include lot numbers. They're on the underside of the disc near the hub: Mine starts with 303903, then a little further around the disc is a number that begins with DFM, then further around the disc and extremely tiny (I had to use a magnifying glass) is the last number, starting with LBR."
I ordered direct from Craft.

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
I just checked the copyrights for the soundtracks of CAROUSEL, SOUTH PACIFIC, THE KING AND I, and FLOWER DRUM SONG on iTunes. Here's what I discovered:

CAROUSEL and THE KING and I are copyrighted to Angel Records (but this label was dissolved in 2006 into Universal Music Group).

SOUTH PACIFIC is copyrighted to BMG Entertainment (Bertelsmann Music Group, RCA Victor's successor which is now owned by Sony).

FLOWER DRUM SONG is copyrighted to Rodgers & Hammerstein Holdings, LLC, A Concord Company. It seems Universal Music Group's (the soundtrack was originally released by Decca and then re-released by MCA) license for this title expired and is now controlled by R&H/Concord.

And in much simpler terms:

CAROUSEL/KING and I = Universal Music Group
SOUTH PACIFIC = Sony
FLOWER DRUM SONG = R&H/Concord
Now that such a marvellous job has been done of 'The Sound of Music' soundtrack will work continue on the other Rodgers & Hammerstein films? The film soundtrack of 'South Pacific' definitely need a deluxe set like SOM.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Now that such a marvellous job has been done of 'The Sound of Music' soundtrack will work continue on the other Rodgers & Hammerstein films? The film soundtrack of 'South Pacific' definitely need a deluxe set like SOM.

Mike Matessino has mentioned here and on FSM that the other R&H films are slightly more complicated due to the soundtrack rights for some of them (Oklahoma, Carousel, The King and I, Flower Drum Song) being owned in perpetuity by UMG. Furthermore, when I asked him about them years ago, Mr. Matessino mentioned that the tapes for South Pacific were currently MIA.

On a side note, I received my copy of this today (with the incorrect Disc IV) and notified Craft of it. The response I received indicated that they’ll be shipping replacement discs by the end of the week.

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
Mike Matessino has mentioned here and on FSM that the other R&H films are slightly more complicated due to the soundtrack rights for some of them (Oklahoma, Carousel, The King and I, Flower Drum Song) being owned in perpetuity by UMG. Furthermore, when I asked him about them years ago, Mr. Matessino mentioned that the tapes for South Pacific were currently MIA.

On a side note, I received my copy of this today (with the incorrect Disc IV) and notified Craft of it. The response I received indicated that they’ll be shipping replacement discs by the end of the week.
Thanks for info I have yet to receive my order from Craft but they have notified me of the incorrect disc, sorry what does MIA mean for the 'South Pacific' tapes?

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Thanks for info I have yet to receive my order from Craft but they have notified me of the incorrect disc, sorry what does MIA mean for the 'South Pacific' tapes?

Basically, it means that they’re missing. This was Mr. Matessino’s exact words on the subject:

R&H produced South Pacific and Fox was involved as a distributor only (of the 35mm version) which likely has something to do with the fact that no music for it has ever been located at the studio.

Mike Matessino

Auditioning
Circling back on this here... obviously the incorrect disc issue was very disappointing. And the strange thing is that one plant made all the discs worldwide yet in Europe the sets are correct!

As has been pointed out, it's being dealt with, and I've just heard that replacement discs requested through the email address Craft set up are going to start being sent this week. The February date that has been mentioned is for when sets will be available with the correct disc in place in newly sealed sets.

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
Circling back on this here... obviously the incorrect disc issue was very disappointing. And the strange thing is that one plant made all the discs worldwide yet in Europe the sets are correct!

As has been pointed out, it's being dealt with, and I've just heard that replacement discs requested through the email address Craft set up are going to start being sent this week. The February date that has been mentioned is for when sets will be available with the correct disc in place in newly sealed sets.
I have heard that you wont be working on a super deluxe soundtrack recording set of the film of 'South Pacific' 1958 which is one of my favourites because the music is missing I know 'I'm Gonna Wash That Man' is severely cut in the final release prints of the film which I am trying to get restored because I am told that the complete sequence on film still exists but I have seen photos on line of the footage of the 'Loneliness of Evening' sequence acted and sung by Rossano Brazzi & Giorgio Tozzi which of course never even made it to the soundtrack recording, let alone the film.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
I received mine a couple of days ago. Same problem: disc 4 duplicates disc 2. The set is amazing. Enjoyed every minute. So disappointed. How do we get the right disc replacement?
I received my replacement disc today. Listened to the whole corrected Disc 4. There are a couple of tracks with Christopher Plummer‘s own voice. I really think they could have used them in the film. Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks