What's new

Super Deluxe Edition of The Sound of Music Soundtrack is Coming 12-01-23 (1 Viewer)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
The Complete Scores [4-Disc Deluxe Edition] of Rodgers and Hammerstein checklist:

Fox:

State Fair (1945) [Not impossible, but not easy to release]
Carousel (1956) [Released by Capitol Records, owned by Universal Music Group]
The King and I (1956) [Released by Capitol Records, owned by Universal Music Group]
State Fair (1962) [Not impossible, but not easy to release]
The Sound of Music (1965) ✅

Magna:

Oklahoma! (1955) [Released by Capitol Records (both CinemaScope [Mono LP] and Todd-AO [Stereo LP]) owned by Universal Music Group and Angel Records (ownership not known).

South Pacific (1958) [Released by RCA Victor/Legacy (expired in 2020?)]

Universal:

Flower Drum Song (1961) [Released by Decca (now owned by Universal Music Group)]

1 down 7 to go…

Over on Film Score Monthly, Mike Matessino wrote the following about the rights for movies and soundtracks earlier today.

As for the movie rights, the renewal process between R&H & 20th is moving along and will, I'm told, be wrapped up soon.

The King and I is subject to the same periodic renewal deal, while 20th controls State Fair and Carousel fully. Oklahoma! and South Pacific are owned by Goldwyn/R&H and 20th's distribution of those is basically an extension to the studio's original involvement with the 35mm version theatrical distribution. For simplicity more than anything else, 20th and R&H formed a cooperative to keep all six in the market, often packaged together, but now that it's Disney and Concord the playing field is a little different than it used to be.

And we're strictly talking movie rights here. Soundtracks are another matter. Disney would have phono rights for State Fair. South Pacific is with Sony Music (RCA Victor), and the others would be with UMG (Capitol).

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I just checked the copyrights for the soundtracks of CAROUSEL, SOUTH PACIFIC, THE KING AND I, and FLOWER DRUM SONG on iTunes. Here's what I discovered:

CAROUSEL and THE KING and I are copyrighted to Angel Records (but this label was dissolved in 2006 into Universal Music Group).

SOUTH PACIFIC is copyrighted to BMG Entertainment (Bertelsmann Music Group, RCA Victor's successor which is now owned by Sony).

FLOWER DRUM SONG is copyrighted to Rodgers & Hammerstein Holdings, LLC, A Concord Company. It seems Universal Music Group's (the soundtrack was originally released by Decca and then re-released by MCA) license for this title expired and is now controlled by R&H/Concord.

And in much simpler terms:

CAROUSEL/KING and I = Universal Music Group
SOUTH PACIFIC = Sony
FLOWER DRUM SONG = R&H/Concord

Last edited:

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Here is a link to Celluloid Dreams radio show out of San Jose. Host Tim Sika interviews Mike Mattesino in two segments. This is the second segment that came out today. Fascinating information. I cannot wait for my copy to show up.

https://soundcloud.com/user-782049152/mike-matessino-talks-the-sound-of-music-super-deluxe-edition-celluloid-dreams-12-1-23

Mr. Mattesino - First, thank you for making this happen, clearly, it took 20+ years and much persistence. Curious about the "Bell is no bell..." segment. On the gold CD from 1993, Julie is accompanpied by piano only - in the segment on Tim's show today it was orchestrated. I am curious - did Julie originally sing to piano and the orchestra was added later? I suppose this seems like minutiae, but I am fascinated by how the bits of pieces of movies come together.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I’m not Mike, but I think it’s possible that the orchestral version of the introductory verse was too damaged at the time of the Gold CD, so the piano version from the playback track (which was the recording that the actors sang too when filming the musical numbers) that serves as the alternate version on the SDE (most of it is now on YouTube) was spliced in to fill in for it. Though I have to say I did find that surprising too.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
Has anyone received a shipping notice or actually obtained a copy of the 5 disc set?
I hope this does not turn out to be another "Invaders from Mars" waiting game!

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I have yet to receive a shipping notice for my copy, but several people on FSM (including Mike Matessino) have reported a screwup where Disc IV is actually a duplicate of Disc II, so be sure to check your copy when you do receive it.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Update:
Not all of the sets have the mess up. Let’s pray 🙏🏻.
For what I’ve been reading on the Film Score Monthly website, the European pressings seem to be OK. Those coming from Craft and Amazon have the problem. I just received the confirmation that mine will be arriving from Amazon tomorrow. I will keep you posted.

CMNash

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carlos M Nash
My copy from Amazon.com arrived today and has the botched Disc 4. Not a big deal for me since I also have the digital files from HDTracks. Such a wonderful listening experience. The alternate tracks are a treat. I even spotted an extra measure in the raindrop portion of “Sixteen Going on Seventeen”.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Mine arrived. Sadly, Disc 4 is a duplicate of Disc 2. The rest of the set is a revelation. I’ve already notified Craft. There’s no point in returning the set to Amazon for a replacement as most likely it will have the same defect.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
The 30,000 words I wrote for the Super Deluxe book were given to Dame Julie and I got back a print-out with her hand written notes on them. So I think she knows about it. She also had to approve all photos. And she does have participation on the album.

As for the content, the main score presentation is on the first two discs, disc 3 has the album and extras, and disc 4 has alternates (playback versions & songs with Plummer's vocals) and all of the orchestra-only tracks. Deluxe is basically the first 2 CDs, Super Deluxe is 4CDs+1 Blu-Ray with hi-res and the OST in Atmos, all in the big coffee table book.

Mike M.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
My box ordered from Amazon arrived late last night with Disc 4 being a duplicate of Disc 2's contents. The information on the disc reads:

CR00445-4/CD4
DFM03

However, I cannot emphasize enough what an extraordinary collection this is, clearly a labor of love by Mike Matessino. I still treasure my 1994 box set as the jewel of my extensive laserdisc collection, and this soundtrack will hopefully reside alongside it for another thirty years. Thanks once again to Mike and all the team involved in this treasured release.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
My box ordered from Amazon arrived late last night with Disc 4 being a duplicate of Disc 2's contents. The information on the disc reads:

CR00445-4/CD4
DFM03

However, I cannot emphasize enough what an extraordinary collection this is, clearly a labor of love by Mike Matessino. I still treasure my 1994 box set as the jewel of my extensive laserdisc collection, and this soundtrack will hopefully reside alongside it for another thirty years. Thanks once again to Mike and all the team involved in this treasured release.
I received mine a couple of days ago. Same problem: disc 4 duplicates disc 2. The set is amazing. Enjoyed every minute. So disappointed. How do we get the right disc replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks