What's new

Super Deluxe Edition of The Sound of Music Soundtrack is Coming 12-01-23 (1 Viewer)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
A friend of mine sent me the following link that will be of interest to those fans of The Sound of Music who must have everything. The Super-Deluxe Edition appears to be the ultimate collectible for devotees of this film and its score.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
You beat me to it, I saw that news this morning and was surprised by it. I guess not just classic rock albums are getting this treatment. :)

Well R and H estate gets it BRAVO now lets see Disney announce a 4k release I just sent it to Ms Andrews agent to see if they know about it

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ha, ha, I had a similar thought that maybe a 4K of the film could be coming given this deluxe box set of the soundtrack.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I am actually excited for this set; the 4 disc edition looks to be far more than just a retread of what has been released before. And the the blu-ray audio in Atmos should be interesting.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Well R and H estate gets it BRAVO now lets see Disney announce a 4k release I just sent it to Ms Andrews agent to see if they know about it

Now that the R&H heirs have sold the company to Concorde Theatricals, I wonder how much they really have to do with it. Julie Andrews received a flat fee for making the film itself, but I seem to recall her saying at some point (and I confess that I cannot document this) that she does receive royalties for sales of the soundtrack and that she had made more money from that than making the film itself. Unless that contract had a time element, I would hope she would get a royalty from this release as well.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Now that the R&H heirs have sold the company to Concorde Theatricals, I wonder how much they really have to do with it. Julie Andrews received a flat fee for making the film itself, but I seem to recall her saying at some point (and I confess that I cannot document this) that she does receive royalties for sales of the soundtrack and that she had made more money from that than making the film itself. Unless that contract had a time element, I would hope she would get a royalty from this release as well.
If I hear from her agent I will update she lives here on LI but her agent is in CA
1695842284293.png
1695842326330.png

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Julie Andrews' salary as Maria​

In 1965, Julie would seal her stardom with one of the most acclaimed films in history: The Sound of Music. The actress earned just $225,000 for her performance.

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
Julie Andrews received a flat fee for making the film itself, but I seem to recall her saying at some point (and I confess that I cannot document this) that she does receive royalties for sales of the soundtrack and that she had made more money from that than making the film itself.
That actually makes sense for that period, as albums were intended for sale. However, nobody could have envisioned films being sold on any "home video" format. I'm sure the contract was renegotiated when the first home video release came about.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Trying to figure out the difference between the deluxe and super deluxe editions.

Last edited:

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
I can't imagine that there's four CD's worth of material there---what on earth is it all? But yeah, I'm in I guess. I've always had a soft spot for this film---it's the very first picture I saw in the cinema, right at the end of its initial theatrical run.....

Reactions: PMF

Mike Matessino

Auditioning
The 30,000 words I wrote for the Super Deluxe book were given to Dame Julie and I got back a print-out with her hand written notes on them. So I think she knows about it. She also had to approve all photos. And she does have participation on the album.

As for the content, the main score presentation is on the first two discs, disc 3 has the album and extras, and disc 4 has alternates (playback versions & songs with Plummer's vocals) and all of the orchestra-only tracks. Deluxe is basically the first 2 CDs, Super Deluxe is 4CDs+1 Blu-Ray with hi-res and the OST in Atmos, all in the big coffee table book.

Mike M.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The Beatles Super Deluxe Edition of The White Album has 6 CDs from the remastered album on two discs, sessions in the studio of early takes and demo recordings. It’s a lot of stuff, which can be interesting for the dedicated fan who is interested in alternative versions of the songs. Plus a blu ray with high rez audio. So the SoM Super Deluxe Edition sounds like similar stuff.

edit, I see Mike M has already addressed the question, thanks!

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
I wonder if we'll get from Craft Records and Concord (in the future) an announcement of Deluxe Edition (Complete Soundtracks) CDs with BD-Audio of:

State Fair films (1945/1962)
Carousel (1956)
The King and I (1956)

Including hardbound books, including liner notes from Mike Matessino.

Since they all are purely produced and distributed by 20th Century-Fox.

Wouldn't that also be nice?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks