What's new

Suggestions on best TV...for my Mom (1 Viewer)

Greg Havard

Auditioning
My mom's Zenith is on its last legs, so she wants me to find a new TV for her....and I haven't looked into TVs in the past few years.

Looking for a conventional tube TV in the 24-27-inch range, that will deliver a good picture for many years at a low price. No BIG SOUND or flat-screen or eleventeen inputs necessary....she only has a digital cable box and VCR, and doesn't care about "theater-like sound". It's got to have a simple-to-use remote for her to understand it. Worst or all, it has to fit in the space of her existing entertainment center; 28-inches wide and 17-3/4-inches deep (height is not a problem).

I have a Toshiba that I really like, and my gut feeling is that a Toshiba in the size range she's looking for is probably best. Looking for any suggestions that will help me find something at Best Buy or Sears or wherever that will give her a good picture and last a long time.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well when you say a long time.. You must know that by 2006 it will all be HDTV. In that reguard, inputs, features, and screen aspect ratio's do start comming into play no matter how simple you think it should be.

Best of luck with it.

nick_rh

Stunt Coordinator
The 24" and 27" Sony Wegas have come down quite a bit in price in the past year, and having owned a 27" one for about 2 and a half years, I highly recommend it. Great picture, good remote, and the set has held up very well so far.

But HDTV signals will still be able to be easily downconverted to 480i; and even years after 2006, I'm guessing most people's mothers will still be watching HDTV programs on 4:3 SDTVs.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Seeing that you have only 28" in width to work with I would check out the 24" Toshiba or Sony "Flat Tube" models.

SPECS. are from memory only so check them out for yourself.
at www.toshiba.com & www.sonystyle.com

Toshiba 24" (26 1/4" Wide)

PLUS:
16:9 DVD Mode (One Button Push On The Remote)(For Future DVD
Audio/Video Output Jacks
Universal Remote (Controls TV, CATV, VCR & DVD)

MINUS:
Scan Velocity Modulation Can't Be Turned Off
No Color Temperature Settings

Sony 24" (27 3/4" Wide)

PLUS:
Scan Velocity Modulation (High, Low & Off)
High-Speed Channel Surfing
15 watt Audio Amp. (Toshiba is 10 Watts)
Labels for the Inputs

MINUS:
No 16:9 DVD Mode
No BBE Sound Enhancement Mode
NO Audio/Video Outputs
Remote Control only works the tv

If price is a factor the Toshiba can be had for about $50 or so less than the Sony.

I've seen the Sony at Wal-Mart for $329.99 but I'm sure it can be had cheaper if you fight with them & the same thing goes for the Toshiba.

Both sets only have a 90 Day Labor Warranty.

You might also want to take a look at the 24" Flat Tube JVC
(26 3/8" Wide) because JVC's Labor Warranty is 1 Year & the specs. are about the same as the Toshiba but no 16:9 DVD Mode, Favorite Channels or Video Output & it can be had for a few dollars less than the Toshiba. www.jvc.com

HAPPY HUNTING ;)

John S

Senior HTF Member
As far as HDTV goes, the down conversion to 480i is valid for sure. But then again, this makes the amount of inputs to the TV more of a factor. Just things to think about is all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks