What's new
World Wide Stereo

Subwoofer Recommendation (1 Viewer)

glenn.arsenault

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking for recommendations and opinions on subwoofers that are physically small (probably no more than 16" in height) that can go deep and are accurate. I do not need it to be loud (accurate frequency response is a preferred trait to max spl's). Predominant usage would be for HT with some music use. Probably will be in a system with Boston Acoustics or ACI speakers. Although $1000 would be a good starting budget, the budget could be increased if necessary.

Will be used in 585 sq ft room.

Thanks

728x90

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The Rocket UFW-10 may be just what you need.

It is a 14” cube, has a 500w amp and a single band parametric equalizer. Supposed to go to 22 Hz. It is $600.

I think that the SVS cubes are a bit bigger than your requirements as is the VTF-3, but they have had very good reviews (I have not heard them myself) and the PB1 (and VTF-3) are within your budget.

george king

Supporting Actor
go talk to Brian Bunge at Link Removed about building you a custom subwoofer. He has a model based on a 14" cube and a Stryke AV-12 driver that is really great (i believe the in room response is flat to 20 Hz) and I think the price is about $750. Brian is a great guy and true cratsman.

Here are the specs that I got from Brian's forum

One design I've come up with would use a Stryke AV12, a 350W Rythmik Audio amp with an LT circuit designed to my specs and a roughly 14" cubed enclosure. Depth will be slightly greater for flush mounting the driver and adding a grill.

The design I've come up with should give you a flat in room response to 20Hz. It won't be an SPL monster, but will give you very good extension from a very small enclosure.

Introductory pricing will be $750 for natural oak, maple or cherry veneer with a semi-gloss finish.

The 12" version will have a Qtc of .7 and an Fb of 20Hz.

So this should be good for both music and movies.

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
When searching for a smaller sub for my parents HT I was very impressed with the Velodyne SPL-1200 (14.5"W X 14.75"H X 15.75"D) 1,500 watt amp/ 12" driver/FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 22-120Hz

I haven't checked prices recently but they should be around the $1k range.

Definately worth a listen.

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator
Why not go with the ACI Force? Terrific small sub. I've directly compared to my Titan II LE and it is very close in output and sounds just as great. Nice and small, built like a battleship, U.S. built amp etc. Since you're thinking of ACI main speakers, just see if you can get the whole package. You can probably get a bit of a price break, everything will match sonically and visually, and you'll have ACI's great service and warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks