What's new

Subwoofer comparisons and thoughts on good DTS receivers (1 Viewer)

Ok, well, I basically got my sound system and tv, my whole home theater, when I moved once. We offered more for the house for all of it basically and somehow they agreed and it's been with us a couple years now even after another move. Anyway, I have this..

Front speakers

Definitive Bipolar 2004 speakers w/ subwoofer built-in

Center Channel:

Definitive CLR 2300

Rear speakers:

Bose 301 series

Subwoofer:

Yamaha YST-SW150 Subwoofer

Receiver:

Yamaha AV Receiver R-V1103

So, immediate question.. why is there an extra subwoofer with those built in ones also there. Well, like I said, we just got it from the people who previously lived in this house. They had it set up as such. Maybe they knew what they were doing or maybe they were stupid are just thought "buy expensive". Anyway, it's a couple years old this set and basically... I was kinda looking to DTS.

First of all, what is the better subwoofer, the one built into the speakers or the seperate subwoofer? I was thinking sell the extra subwoofer, as well as my current receiver and that with some other money I have from selling my HD receiver I don't need, would be enough for a really good DTS receiver.

I just noticed now though that this receiver I already have costs $800 still today, though I dont expect to sell it close to that. It's supposedly a top of the line dolby digital. I could sell this but I'd like to be assured my DTS receiver would be just as reliable and worth the upgrade. Any suggestions on what I should buy? Or any thoughts really. How's the rear speakers hold up too?

sorry I couldnt add links to details on the subwoofer and speakers but the 15 posts before url links rule caught me. no pics either

Jon_Krug

Stunt Coordinator
brian, do not sell your sub unless u r going to buy a better one. for music IMO u don't need the sub, but for ht IMO u do need the sub. also if i were u, i would consider replacing your rear speakers. mixing bose with def tech is not that good of an idea IMO.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Since your questions appear primarily to concern speakers, I'm moving this thread to the appropriate section.

M.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That sub is rather less than spectacular, so I WOULD sell it and get something better.

Yes, I'd toss the Bose and get some better surrounds as well. Just as surrounds, they will probably be fine, but I'd replace them.

You didn't say what receiver you have, so it is impossible to compare the two.

Jonty Rees

Stunt Coordinator
There are plenty of healthy discussions on the relative merits of Dolby Digital vs DTS - enough that it's at least debatable whether moving to a DTS capable receiver is any kind of upgrade at all. There seem to be fewer DVDs released with both DD and DTS, I see a lot of DD only. I wouldn't change your receiver at all, maybe just upgrade the rear surrounds and possibly the sub.

So.. the sub. Neither the built in one with the front speakers or seperate one are that good? Ok, Any recommendations. Anyway, I'll take a look at some DTS/DD debates. The subwoofer you think should be a bigger concern than upgrading to DTS though?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The subs built into the mains are probably fine, but they may not be intended to handle the very lowest frequencies the way a sub does (which may be why the previous owner added another sub). These speakers will likely do well for music, but for movies, a decent sub that extends lower than the mains, will add quite a bit to the experience and this can be done without breaking the bank.

IMO, I'd go with the DTS capable receiver, but only if it has a better amp section than the DD one. Better to have DTS than not, as there are a large number of amazing DTS movies. If you ask "Which DVDs with good sound?" a large percentage that come up will have DTS tracks. That is not to say one is actually better than the other, but having both doesn't hurt anything at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks