What's new

sub woofer questions (1 Viewer)

tony_n

Grip
Hello I am rather new to this forum and would like to ask some questions regarding my new sub that I have just purchased.
I purchased a Velodyne CHT series 8 sub last week and have hooked it up to my system that consists of Pioneer VSX D 850 reciever and drivers are Jamo 265 front standing and jamo center and rears.
I have the speakers set to small amd have the crossovers set to around 80 hz.
At the moment have not calibrated by meter as i do not have one and live 780kms from the city.
My problem is that the sub works fine when I increase the volume of the amp,if I leave it in normal postion it is hardly noticeable, question is this normal with velyodyne series or is ut just that the floorstanding Jamo's push a fair amount of bass on their own.
Also what would be a good dvd to play to see how the CHT 8 really perform.

DavidES

Stunt Coordinator
Since you don't have a meter, listen to some familiar music with decent bass lines.

You shouldn't notice the sub working until it's turned off then you notice it. The sub should not attract attention to itself when working until it's turned off. If you get that effect then the volume is set right for accurate as possible seamless bass. I can't explain it any easier or clearer. You should be able to hear the instruments but not the speakers with your eyes closed.

Now you might have room booms that are throwing your ears off and/or sub is peaky in response, but that's another thread. Have to adjust seating and sub positions as best you can for best quality sound until you get meter. You might be able to buy online!

Here are some excellent white papers on rooms and subs.

Hope this helps

tony_n

Grip
Thanks David for the advise.
I have ordered a meter today and it should arrive in next couple of days.
The sub seems to work fine, I think it was me that needed some adjustment.
thanks again
tony

DavidES

Stunt Coordinator
No problem.

I didn't think you were going to get a meter so I didn't mention this at first but you might need a test/setup disc like Avia, etc... to correctly set sub level. Maybe you have a dvd movie that has the THX audio/video setup or something like it in its menu. "The Wall" by PF does. I think one of the Star Wars dvds does have one too.

If you have a burner and MS Excel, you could follow the steps here to find out what your sub/room low frequency response is at your seating.

tony_n

Grip
David
Thanks again for your reply, I have d/loaded the information you have given me.
Thanks again for that I will let you know the outcome.'
tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks