What's new

Sub Questions? (1 Viewer)

Matej

Grip
Just a general question on HT. I know that it is important to get the same type of speakers across your mains and center chanels and accross your surrounds but does the Sub aslo have to match or can it be from a completely different company. If it is how will this affect my timbre?

Thanks

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
There is no timbre matching to be done with subs. You can put any manufactures sub with any manufactures speakers.

Well I guess I shouldn't quite say that. You don't want to go and put a bandpass boom box with a set of Nautilus 805 monitors.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Different lines of speakers will have different timbres as well (even with the same manufacturer). E.G. B&W Nautilus vs. B&W 600 series.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Yep.
A lot of the sound you get from a sub is REFLECTED from your walls. (Try tuning your walls to match your L/R speakers :) )
Also the frequencies are very different so you cannot "tone match" a sub to the other speakers, and human hearing is very, very insensitve at subwoofer frequencies.
All this adds up to the conclusion that you dont have to worry about matching the brand of the sub to the rest of the speakers.
There IS/ARE issues around crossovers and level adjusting. Hit the "Speakers & Subwoofer" fourm for lots of details.
Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks