What's new

Sub Cable? (1 Viewer)

AbelM

Second Unit
Hi there guys',

I am moving, in about 3 days and just realized that my sub cable is too short (mind you I bought the longest one there is) to reach the place I WANT TO PUT IT. Is there any kind of special connector that could connect 2 sub cables together to make it reach?

Thanx A Million,
Abe

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Sorry to hijack.. but this may answer a question for me as well... Does any rca cable work fine? I have a 50 foot analog set. Does a "real" subwoofer cable work differently?
Better shielding, different impedence?? I have it connected now, and it sounds fine to my untrained ears, but wondering if I go through the trouble to run this in the walls will work OK. Sorry again..

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Juan: Any rca cable should work fine. You'll want to use a well-shielded one for long runs though.

--Chris

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Will my Monster Interlink 300 MKII work as a good Subwoofer cable? I have it connected to a Monster Y adapter, but the directions in my new Yamaha Subwoofer booklet says just connect it to the one cable jack in the Mono L. As if theres no need for the Y Adapter. Any thoughts?

AbelM

Second Unit
Norm, you do not need a Y connector for Yamaha subs (or for your case). I have a Yamaha Sub (for about 4 years now), and I have just went from my reciever directly into the Mono/L. Works like a charm :emoji_thumbsup:

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I am using the Y, as I was advised by the Best Buy & Circuit City Techs. It seems to work fine.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
A y connector is unneccesary and provides no benefit. The two inputs get summed together into mono, so it doesnt matter whether you connect one, or the other, or both. Obviously, not buying the y connector saves you a couple bucks, so there's no real need for it. Buy yourself a candy bar or something instead ;) .

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
I disagree with the notion that it has no benefit, I've heard it with my own ears. Try plugging in one and then both and listen to the boost in sound. As a matter of fact, the Klipsch sub owner's manual explains the reasoning behind it and advises using a Y for the most punch.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
All it does is provide a boost in dB. You get the same thing by turning up the volume... it's the exact same thing either way. IT's only a couple bucks for the y adapter, so that's fine, but i mean there's no benefit to using one. If you want it louder, turn it up....

Lam Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
A y connector does boost the dB a little bit, I say just keep it and save the trouble of going to return it.

Dave McC

Auditioning
If you use the y connector, the boost in db will be an undistorted boast. Turning up the volume on am amplifier, depending on quality, will yield a gain of distortion as well. Use the y connector.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Look it doesn't make much difference. I just find that many people think they NEED to go buy a Y connector, and this is totally not needed. If you have one already, just use it if you want. The gain doesn't matter. By using a Y-connector your pre-amp is using more power, and you can clip things there, or increase distortion. Or you can jut turn up the sub, which will likely be less problematic than clipping the pre-outs, which can do that if you have it adjusted too loud in the menus, and are listening to a loud scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks