What's new

Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip - Season One (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
huh.

anyway.
i think its a great start hope it doesnt get canned before the other show about SNL.

also, i thought the pq of the netflix preview dvd had better pq then the tv hd broadcast, and the dvd wasnt 16x9 enhanced.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I was referring to the fact that the on-screen logo we were complaining about suddenly disappeared. I am hoping it was an error. It lasted about half the show, so I hope it isn't a sign of something that will happen every week.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i wonder if that was a local thing, i didnt notice in philly.
may have been there just didnt notice.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What's especially ironic is that Perry's character left the fictional show after they added the flag to the NBS bug ("God forbid you get rid of it entirely!") That said, I don't remember seeing it here in Boston; are you sure it wasn't an affiliate fuck-up?

I didn't watch Sports Night, watched The West Wing sparingly, but I'll watch this - at least for a while.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

yes i meant to mention thAt, good point.

sports night was genius.
west wing subject matter was not interesting to me. barely watched about 2 eps.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I saw the pilot tonight and I thought the show was so so.

I love the cast and talent involved, I just didn't find anything particularly interesting, I quit watching shows like SNL a long time ago and to watch a show about a team of people trying to run a show like SNL was a tad ho hum to me. Also, can they possibly brighten the show up a little more? Looking at it depressed me it was so drab and murky looking.

IMO, this show would play better and be more entertaining if it were a straight comedy rather than drama, but that's just me. Again, casting is outstanding and the creative team is top notch, it's the material that I found a tad boring the first time out. The best part of the pilot was Judd Hirsh' nervous breakdown on the air (something that I wish someone would do for real on SNL lol).

I'll give it a couple of more eps to turn things around for me, but so far I was underwhelmed.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

they have that called 30 Rock also on nbc.

btw i noticed that i recorded this downstairs. no bug in the middle of the screen.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
Just got done watching, thank you DVR. That was really well done. I will say that Amanda Peet's character Jordan was a little bit of a let down, she tries to come across as a bitch and also as everyone's friend, she needs to pick one side, she can't be both or she'll be inneffective in her position, but I'm assuming we'll see her character develop more.

I watched the show based upon Matt Perry alone, I really like Perry, he was easily my favorite cast member of friends (Chandler was the one I identitfied with the most too) and the two episodes of The West Wing I watched were the two that he was in (I guess he was in a third but I didn't hear about it and therefore didn't see it). I've known of Aaron Sorkin and his "genius" for a while now it's something I've seen written a multitude of times before, but I think I'm going to be jumping on the bandwagon after this.

I really just liked the whole premise, my friends and I have had ideas to do SNL style sketches and such for ages now and so to sort of see how it all goes down backstage is quite interesting, its not all jokes and fun. The banter back and forth between Matt and Danny was very well done, both Perry and Whitford are good actors and given the right material (this seemingly it at the moment) are really, really good. Judd Hirsch is a good actor and he pulled off the disgruntled leader/father-figure/show runner quite well and I did agree with a lot of what he said. Some of the stuff on TV just isn't that good, but at the same time, TV has become one of the best medium's to work in lately. Sometimes I think easily edging out Feature length movies, writers are given chances to do long arc's and such. On the whole over reacting thing, being a Christian myself I do find that many of my "cohorts" over react to stuff that just isn't reactionary in most cases. That being said I'm interested in seeing where they will lead the character of Harriet, I'm hoping she doesn't become a Christian sterotype and I hope the whole Christian thing isn't over used. I liked her remark to the guy that was taunting her about it though. I was actually confused about whether or not her character actually was, it sounded like she was leaning towards it but it wasn't something she had "committed" to. Though seeing the previews for next week's episode I'm more confused. (My intentions with this section isn't to be flame-worthy nor offending. /end note.)

Overall I really liked the episode and I can't wait to see more. I also didn't notice a bug other than the usual NBC.com marker (which didn't bother me, we're in a digital age...) My affiliate out of Maine didn't flip the HD switch till about 20 minutes into it, but I thought it was one of the few times I could look at the screen and not see a five inch logo and two feet of ads for next week's episode and such. PQ wise, it wasn't spectacular, but being the kind of show it is, I don't need anything amazing, now 24 on the other hand, I need to see my man Jack torture people in glorious HD. :)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

I agree completely. I watched it and was pretty much underwhelmed by the whole thing. I'm not going to give up after just one episode, but honestly I'd be surprised if I end up watching a full season of this show.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sarah Paulson is the weak link for me, but then again, I've never enjoyed her work in anything I've seen of hers. Her lisp bugs me to no end.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
That's the West Wing look. "Realistic" lighting.

When the show started, the bug was on the bottom left, about where the 4:3 edge would be; this was letterboxed. I thought they were trying something to throw off any commercial detection (looking for bugs in the bottom right). But then I think it went away completely.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

Poop. I was hoping you would like this show and we would have another show in common that we watch and could discuss. But I'm not completely surprised you didn't really like it. It was a little different for the rest of the shows that you watch.

I wonder if my roomies will like it? I have a feeling they won't. No biggie, it just means I'll record it in my room.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I never got into Sports Night, never really gave The West Wing a chance, but I liked this pilot. My local TV critic indicated that the second show improves on the pilot, so I'll be back for a second helping.

Regards,

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood

Maybe not so much the bitch aspect I guess, thinking back on it, she didn't do enough to really be a bitch.

The cast is quite impressive outside of Perry, Peet and Bradford, who have all either worked together or with Sorkin before it seems. Perry and Peet on "The Whole Nine Yards" and Perry and Bradford on "The West Wing". I liked that Felicity Huffman made a cameo, I'm wondering what other Sorkin-verse characters will show up. Steven Weber was great, definite ass but it worked for him. He's quite the versitile actor apparently.

Does anyone notice a bit of a resembalence between Timothy Busfield and John Ritter or is it just me? It's not a huge resemalence but it's there to me.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

I started watching this last night, but then I had a major revelation.

After seeing the stupid logo onscreen for 15 minutes, plus commercials interupting the drama, I stopped watching at halfway.

I put in Season 2 of Lost, plus I need to get to unwatched season sets of 24 and Alias and other shows.

If this Sunset Strip is great and lasts all season, I'll pick up the season set.

But I'm done w/ watching stupid logos & commercials all over my 50" plasma.

Sorry NBC, but your logo means I'm tuning out ALL season. There's little time in my day for TV watching and I don't need all that junk eating into it.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I saw the pilot and thought the show has enormous potential, mostly because Sorkin perfectly captured the self-indulgent attitude of many people in the entertainment industry. Sorkin must have read Jame A. Miller and Tom Shales' book on Saturday Night Live, because Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip reminds me a lot of the too-numerous divas and the backfighting that plagued SNL all the time.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I don't know about that, I mean i'm 34 and i've been in a few buildings in my lifetime and I think, no scratch that, i'm POSITIVE that there's been illumination in said buildings.

The show looks as if it were lit by a 75watt GE.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Loved it.

Wasn't quite "raising whole houses up off the ground" the way West Wing did, but excellent, excellent show and I can't wait for the rest of the season. Aaron Sorkin has such a gift for language that really, I could watch his show about the janitors union.

The only weak link for me is Amanda Peet, I feel like she's over her head with the rest of the cast, and the Sorkinspeak sometimes, but I'm hopeful she'll improve as we go along.

BIG thumbs up!

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
I watched the pilot by renting it from Netflix. I didn't really notice anything special about the dialogue. I plan on watching the pilot again tonight, I'll have to pay closer attention to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks