What's new

Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip - Season One (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Enjoyed this one quite a bit last Thursday night from Netflix. It's true that the laughs aren't over the top (like Friends), but the one great, great piece I remember is when Matt and Danny are talking in the half-taxi.

Matt gets out through the front of the cab; Danny gets out using the door. I found it hysterical.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I've seen it again and watched with the wife. I just really think Peet is the real weak link. Her character is just wrong for her position. She needs to have more power behind her, she comes off as too much of a "tart" and a lacky as compared to someone who wields any real influence or who is used to wielding influence.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
We'll see. I think Peet's Jordan is that going to be that sweet-looking lady with the balls to do what's necessary to get things done, but she does it with a smile on her face, while pushing the right buttons to apply the pressure. I think she play'll a good game of outmanuevering her opponents.

Mary_P

Second Unit
I have to agree that I don't think Peet's right for the part -- I didn't buy her at all as a supposedly very powerful mover/shaker. Maybe she'll win me over after a few episodes, but I didn't see it in the pilot. The casting of "Sports Night" just struck me as *right* from day one, though I'd never seen most of the actors before the show (Robert Guillaume and Sabrina Lloyd excepted). I'm also less than sold on Sarah Paulson, and I was prepared to like her going in, based on some other things I've seen her in.

Other casting seems right on the money -- looking forward to more of the Danny/Matt relationship, and I liked the other members of The Big Three. Steven Weber's a great choice as Jack.

This does what a pilot needs to do -- introduce the main players and set up the basic backstory. It'll be very interesting to see where it goes from here.

And I hope this Netflix experiment is successful enough that NBC and other nets would think about doing this with other shows. I definitely wouldn't mind checking out a few other things before the season starts. I did also watch the pilot for "Kidnapped," which I might not have checked out on air, depending on what it was programmed across from. I liked it well enough, but can't say that it's must-see TV for me, and can't quite figure how they plan to stretch out one case to an entire season. 'Course, I probably said the same about "24" and that's worked out okay for Fox.... :)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
You do know some countries haven't actually finished season 7 yet, right? Especially here in NZ, where the season only started two weeks ago (grumble grumble).

Not that your comment was a spoiler for me - I already knew it - but I think spoiler tags would be nice.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
In retrospect Matthew, you're quite right, and I see the admins have spoilerised the text. After all, even here in Singapore they haven't broadcast S7 yet. My apologies to anyone who got spoiled as to the end of West Wing.

Sylvia*ST

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched this pilot from Netflix (thank you!) and did not care for it at all, despite being a huge fan of The West Wing. I thought it unfunny, tedious and a parody of a tired show which is already a parody of itself. I never watched Friends, and found Matthew Perry's character unlikeable. Are drunk/drug jokes fresh? I don't think so. I also felt Perry and Whitford's characters were too similar physically and not defined well. I really wanted to like this...

Kidnapped was pretty good, though.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I watched the pilot last night and enjoyed it a lot. One of the better pilots I've seen. I do have a concern as to where the show will head. A lot of the time a pilot can be boring because it's all set up...but that wasn't the case with this because the set up was interesting. Part of me thinks this would have worked better as a 2 hour movie. But I'm sure Sorkin will figure something out...

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator

Same here. I watched it via NetFlix and liked it. Of course, as good as The West Wing was in the early first season, it really didn't kick into high gear until they started the MS storyline followed by the Shariff and reelection storylines.

I also wonder where Sorkin will go from here. But I plan to enjoy the ride.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I haven't seen the Pilot but did it come off as a lot like the famous Howard Beale speech and breakdown in Network ?

I tend to think of new shows like pre-season football games. You never know what you going to get until you start watching them throughout the season.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I just finished watching the pilot, and guess that I'm one of the ones that REALLY hates it.

I guess I'm more of an Entourage guy.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Watched this yesterday. I really enjoyed the pilot, and plan on watching the rest of the series, but not sure how well it will play to the average TV viewer. I would guess it gets good initial ratings based on the people involved, but not sure it will sustain them.

Haven't watched "Kidnapped" yet. I like the "24"-style full season storyline, but after getting hooked on "Reunion" last season and having it cancelled without resolving tne murder I am a bit apprehensive about getting too involved with it.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
I caught onto Sports Night from the recommendation from a friend a couple of years ago and treasure the two seasons we got of it.

I recently went on a West Wing binge (watching the first five seasons for the first time), and am about to start season six, but I certainly found five to be disappointing in it's new direction.

Needless to say, I'm excited as hell about Studio 60. The pilot is great, and definately up to par with previous Sorkin pilots. The casting mostly looks good, but I'm currently unsold on both Peet (and not looking forward to the compromised framing of her now that she's pregnant...), and the 3 stars (besides Matt Perry's character's ex), but I'm sure it'll settle in nicely.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Why in the world is the NBC logo with a ".com" afterwards sitting SSSSOOO high on the screen? Completely and terribly distracting.

GGGGGRRRRR

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I hope everyone is enjoying the nbc bug in the middle of the screen. This is what your complacency has led to.

I have been complaining about the on-screen logos for years now, and had no support. Now look what we get. The logo in the middle of the screen is next.

I am so disgusted right now, I can't type.

EDIT:

LOL, looks like someone called the control room. The spam is gone.

We need to get the bugs stopped for good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks