What's new

Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip - Season One (1 Viewer)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

What we're seeing is riveting television that doesn't rely on some gimick to hook you in. It doesn't need some artificial premise of a prison break or a possible nuclear disaster to reel you in. It does it with people in interesting jobs who get to say smart things that relate to our everyday lives.

By not relying on a gimicky premise, it lends itself to serialized TV much better. The possibilities for stories are as open as any of our lives. It's never constrained by having to push "the plot" along. Instead, it gets to throw twists and develop stories that are drawn out of the characters they've created rather than the plot they have contrived.

Its excitement also creeps up on you. When I say that it is riveting, it's not that you notice it. It's not amping up your emotions or manipulating your senses. It's telling a story, that you watch, and when it ends you're anxious for the next hour.

Sci-fi shows can be great because they get to deal with issues in our society metaphorically, but every now and then you want to bluntly open a dialogue about those issues. This premise will get to do that. When SNL was great it parodied our society openly. It concerned itself with being subversive. But, it hasn't been allowed to fr so long. That's the challenge presented to these two characters, Matt and Danny. They get to fight to make the show relveant again in an age when the corporate mentality overrides the artisitic spirit. Judd Hirsch's speech at the opening was brilliant in that it set up this idea, the overriding theme, while also setting up the basic premise of the story. Listening to what he said made me nod and smile.

Some smaller bits that fed into this idea is when the corporate powers were sitting around the table discussing their next move, Jordan mentions the "Big three" and one of the executives thought she was referring to car manufacturers in Detroit rather than the three big stars. These guys aren't even interested in the product they sell. For them, it is generically that, "product." There's no passion for the show, just passion for the revenues it can generate.

Then, the idea that Jordan is a wild card makes the show exciting. She's a corporate shark that moved up the ladder quickly. She's pretty young to be president of a network. She pleases the corporate types because she delivers numbers. But, then she throws out an artisitic olive branch to Matt by asking him to open the next show with the controversial sketch. So, is she an ally or a foe?

That's just some short reasons why this show is so much better than most of what has been offered up this season. I can't wait to see if Sorkin can deliver on some of these promises, and also suprise me with fascinating turns.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
The only time I've like Peet was in The Whole Nine Yards, and nothing since. That is until Studio 60. I thought she acquitted herself well.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I am officially on board. I enjoyed the premiere immensely! Sorkin is a presence on network television that has been sorely missed, IMO. Also, I can't help but smile at the striking parallel between the program's story line and real life. Bradley Whitford and Matthew Perry are brought back from disgrace to "save the network" in much the same way NBC invited Sorkin back into the fold and then has so much riding on the success of this program. Way to go, Aaron! ;)

Here's hoping that NBC doesn't dismiss him after a few seasons and turn the program over to those less capable...

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed it very much. I'm also keeping it in mind that critics often see the first several episodes of a series when they "review" it. So I'm expecting things to pick up significantly in the next few episodes. It did feel like a lot of set-up... but that's what pilots are.

I loved the nods to network, and I really like the message the show is trying to convey. I'll be there next week.

Potentially concerning for Studio 60, however, was a loss of audience at 10:30 p.m. off 11 percent in the overnights (10.9/16 to 9.7/15), 2.37 million viewers (14.57 to 12.20) and 15 percent among adults 18-49 (5.4/13 to 4.6/12).
www.mediaweek.com

Hopefully people will stick with the show for a bit, it's got some potential.

Jon Mercer

Second Unit
I'm enjoying the show so far and last nights was entertaining enough including the whole song bit, but was felt let down with the song and the tune cause all they did was change the lyrics to the Animaniacs song "I am the very model of a cartoon individual"

They pulled a Wierd Al...

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein

I thought they borrowed it from the Doctor Who story: Doctor Who and the Pirates. :)

Actually, you're missing the main point. Studio 60, like Saturday Night Live, is a show about spoofs. They don't write original songs, they spoof well-known ones, such as the Animaniacs song.

The song has to be instantly recognizable to the audience. That's part of what makes it funny. The well-knownness of the song is evidenced by the fact that Matthew Perry didn't even have to say the word, "Animaniacs" and his writing staff immediately knew what tune he was talking about.

;)

"Ain't I a stinker." Bugs Bunny

Mary_P

Second Unit
I won't see this episode until tonight, but I strongly suspect I'm going to be seconding this statement....

And I guess this is one thread I'm going to have to learn to avoid until Tuesday mornings. I keep forgetting that my neighbors to the north get it a day before I do. I initially thought the discussion was in reference to the pilot, which ran again on Bravo last night. And I'm sitting here thinking "Song? What song?"

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Isn't the spoiler policy to wait until it airs in the U.S. Eastern time zone -- unfair as that may be? :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully every episode won't be railing against evangelical Christians. Otherwise, enjoyed this episode at least as much as the first. The studio is already a coherent universe.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Some of part of me thinks this show would work better as a half hour show.

The opening act (at the end of the episode) was good, but I'm not sure if it was worth sitting for 55 minutes for it.

The character moments are okay, but nothing is quite growing on me yet.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
OK, now that I've seen the show... Perry didn't say the word "Animaniacs" because neither his character nor writer Aaron Sorkin was thinking of that show at all. The song on tonight's ep was a spoof of Gilbert & Sullivan - surely the direct reference in the scene to W.S. Gilbert as the author of "the best frat humor of all time" was a clue?? "Studio 60"'s is just the latest in a long line (including the one on "Animaniacs") of parodies of the "Major General's Song", written by G&S over 125 years ago, and arguably one of the most famous English-language songs ever.

Loved the show, BTW.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Another fine episode, IMO.

Perry and Whitford have such great timing together. The exchange when they turn on the clock for the first time is classic!

Also, Amanda Peet delivers several really good scenes and her character is proving to be a lot more interesting than I thought it would be.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Liked the second episode more than the pilot. It moved at a quicker pace, for sure. I am more interested in the dynamics (with the writers and the previously unseen cast members) they introduced this week.

I can't be the only one dying to know the content of "Crazy Christians"...

I also like that the show feels like something Aaron Sorkin wrote without the types of exchanges that make his earlier scripts (particularly "SportsNight" ones) so easy to peg as his work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks