What's new

Streaming iTunes over a network (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I know the AirPort Express lets you stream iTunes over a wireless network, but what I want to do is essentially the same thing over a wired network, without the expense of the AirPorts.

I have found plenty of sharing apps, plus what iTunes has built in, but that isn't what I want. I don't want sharing, but streaming. Where anyone on the network can "tune in" to what I have playing on my computer. Is anyone aware of anything to do that? It seems like such a simple, obvious thing to have available, but I can't find any way to do it. All computers are Macs, BTW.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Judging by your original, unedited post I see you ran into what I did. A lot of apps claim to do streaming, but are just file sharing.

ErichH

Screenwriter

Correct - Wouldn't be the first time I assumed without thinking. You know what Sam Jackson had to say about assumption in The Long Kiss Good Knight ....yep

I listen to KJAZ (the Sprit of Jazz) on iTunes radio all the time. You'd think it would be a snap to do the same thing on your own network using a given port.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So, who is "umption"?

I was thinking the same thing. In fact, it kind of surprises me streaming isn't built into iTunes, but of course, that reduces the ability to sell AirPorts.

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
Airfoil lets you 'broadcast' any audio from any application to any Mac, PC, AEx, or ATV. It allows any of your machines or devices to 'tune-in' to the audio playing on a particular (dedicated) machine. Not sure about the fidelity due to the encode/decode process, but it sounds like it might fit your needs.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I checked out the AirFoil software when I got home yesterday and it is exactly what I was looking for. They really need to be listed on versiontracker, which is where an awful lot of people go to look for software.

Only one little hitch I don't like. The master computer has to "send" the music to remote ones, rather than them just being able to tune in, but it's not a big deal. I wish the remote computers were able to see what was playing as well. Seems like an obvious feature.

Anyway, a no-brainer for $25.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I tried to run AirFoil at work today and ran into an obstacle. Several months ago something odd happened with our network. We used to be able to connect to other machines (all Mac) through the regular "Network" icon in finder windows. One day, other computers just disappeared. We eventually worked out another way, using Go>Connect to Server and having the ips available.

Anyway, I tried the AirFoil, and it doesn't see any other computers. I have been trying to figure out what happened. To help matters, I'm not exactly an expert in Ethernet networks. I did try AirFoil at home and my two computers on the wired Ethernet network found each other with no problem. The network at work is a bit different. At home I have DSL and the router is built into the modem, so I just have a plain Ethernet switch. At work, internet is through cable, then fed to a router/switch.

Several months ago the router/switch died and someone got a new one. That may also be when the network stopped seeing other computers without using Go>Connect to Server. Are there router/switches that have some kind of hardware firewall between ports? I don't think the problem is a software issue. We can and do regularly share printers without problem. The router/switch is a Linksys, but I'll have to check the exact model tomorrow.

Anyway, any ideas from any of you with more network knowledge than me?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks