status on texas chainsaw massacre?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ryan_TD, May 28, 2003.

1. Ryan_TD

Ryan_TD Stunt Coordinator

anyone know if this is getting a re-release??
    i heard there is a remake of the movie coming out around halloween. good time imo to remaster the current non-anamorphic transfer and cash in.

2. Matt<>Broon

Matt<>Broon Stunt Coordinator

Isn't the recent R2 UK special edition anamorphic?

I'd be suprised if you didn't see that pretty shortly in the US.

3. Scott Temple

Scott Temple Supporting Actor

From DVD File:

4. JonBoriss

JonBoriss Stunt Coordinator

Hey I'm all for it, the current edition was 27.99 last time I was at Best Buy.

5. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    I'm seeing it on the big screen on Aug.9th at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood.

Tobe Hooper will be on hand after the movie to answer questions. He's filming a real scary low budget independent thriller right now titled "Tool Box Murders." [​IMG]

6. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Yeah, what about a new high-def anamorphic transfer? The current DVD transfer was apparently pressed before the restoration was complete, as I recall.

The British region 2 was indeed re-released with the brilliant documentary, but the same non-anamorphic transfer.

It's not a bad transfer, but it could look better, even for a no-budget early 70s 16mm color guerilla movie.

This sounds like a wasted oppurtunity - just a lame cash-in. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Gordy

7. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I own the Elite LD and the DVD. I love them both, but it is about friggen time that this title get a new transfer.

8. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

I wouldn't mind seeing a 2-disc SE with the "Family Portrait" documentary on it. I've held off on buying the current disc, but I might have to grab this new one if I can find it for a decent price.

9. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

It's too bad they couldn't find a way to include this documentary from MTI Home Video:

[​IMG]
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre: A Family Portrait

A decent video documentary featuring the 'family' of Gunnar Hansen (Leatherface), Edwin Neal (the hitchhiker), Jim Siedow (the cook), John Dugan (Grandfather), while a bit long does feature several anecdotes that were later revealed in the Gunnar Hansen/Tobe Hooper DVD commentary.

10. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

JeremySt:

I have the Elite LD too. Is there anything on the DVD that is not on the laser? Many thanks.

11. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

12. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I'm yet to buy any of the versions, as I'm yet to find it for less than $40 on our shelves (I've only seen it as a USA import.)

I'll pick up what ever they release as long as it's priced right. Dn't get me wrong, I'd love a director approved enhanced transfer with 2 disks and the documentary, but if that' not going to happen, then I'll gladly get this re-release at a decent price.

13. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Rob, I just checked both the LD and the DVD. They appear to have the exact same content. A quick A-B comparison shows me that the LD is in fact better sounding and the transfer is a little cleaner. The DVD is just a quick and dirty dupe of the LD it seems.

14. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

15. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Well, at least the MSRP has dropped.

16. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Well, seeing as this is likely the last opportunity for this film to get the deluxe treatment until the next big format, and it would appear Pioneer is just rehashing the same half baked DVD, I am thinking I will pass and just hunt on eBay for the Elite LD. My best friend Josh has the current DVD should I ever get the itch to watch it again.

17. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

The dvd is a duplicate of the LD feature-wise, but the transfer used is indeed the wrong one. This is a rare case where the LD transfer is actually preferable to the dvd one. I may pick this up in October since it's so cheap. I'd been holding out because the current edition is a tad expensive.

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    BTW, the main problem with the Pioneer transfer is that it does not reflect the final approved color timing that the Elite Laserdisc did. Most people won't notice, but it does give the Elite laserdisc the edge unless Pioneer does something to fix the re-release.

Regards,