What's new

Press Release Dark Sky Press Release: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Is anyone who bought the Dark Sky 4K version having issues with the disc, or did you have issues?

I went through two copies of this release, ordered via Best Buy (the slipcase variant, not the steelbook, though I'm not sure if that makes a difference here -- it did on certain releases, from what I remember, such as Poltergeist), and both did the same thing in my Panasonic UB9000 -- at a certain point in the beginning of the film (around the moment they pick up the hitchhiker in the van), the first disc began to stutter, freeze and pixelate into distorted colors, accompanied by audio dropouts. I attempted to clean that disc with soap and water (as is always recommended) but it didn't fix it.

I returned that disc and we ordered another one via BB's website (as there are no more discs in our BB locations), and it did the exact same thing but at a slightly different point in the film (I got a little futher than the first one). Frustrated, I returned that one too and got a refund, and in a desperate effort to get this title in 4K (to replace the absolutely atrocious looking non-anamorphic Pioneer Video Special Edition DVD from 2004 or so), I ended up ordering the Second Sight version direct from them in the UK...at a slgnificantly higher price compared to the Dark Sky release.

And that pissed me off...greatly (especially since this UHD BD player has already forced us to rebuy many of our full screen and non-anamorphic DVD titles due to its lack of aspect ratio control parameters like a zoom function; now, I had to buy a more expensive version of TCM because the Panny refuses to play the Dark Sky disc).

I haven't been able to find anything online about people having issues with the Dark Sky release of TCM; has ANYONE here experienced any problems with the disc? Why is my 9000 having such issues with this title, unless it comes down to a bad batch of 4Ks that Best Buy got? How is it that I keep getting discs I need to replace/exchange due to them either causing the player to make noise or visually breaking up/pixelating? I went through the same thing with Poltergeist and Invasion of the Body Snatchers...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks