What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Lone Star (1996) (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
TLMa3LbG7ghMyJ9cGNtseulpA0zHrv_large.jpg
A keen observer of America’s social fabric, writer-director John Sayles uncovers the haunted past buried beneath a small Texas border town in this sprawling neowestern mystery. When a skeleton is discovered in the desert, lawman Sam Deeds (Chris Cooper), son of a legendary local sheriff, begins an investigation that will have profound implications both for him personally and for all of Rio County, a place still reckoning with its history of racial violence. Sayles’s masterful film—novelistic in its intricacy and featuring a brilliant ensemble cast, including Joe Morton, Elizabeth Peña, and Kris Kristofferson—quietly subverts national mythmaking and lays bare the fault lines of life at the border.

FILM INFO​

• United States
  • 135 minutes
  • Color
  • 2.39:1
  • English, Spanish
  • Spine #1202

DIRECTOR-APPROVED 4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director John Sayles and director of photography Stuart Dryburgh, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
    • One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
    • New conversation between Sayles and filmmaker Gregory Nava
    • New interview with Dryburgh
    • Trailer
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • PLUS: An essay by scholar Domino Renee Perez

New cover by Jacob Phillips

January 16, 2024

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
One of the most requested titles - John Sayles has been completely AWOL on blu-ray. Dick, among others, will be over the moon. He's been asking for this for years.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
One of the most requested titles - John Sayles has been completely AWOL on blu-ray. Dick, among others, will be over the moon. He's been asking for this for years.
As have I. Great news!

Reactions: PMF

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Finally! Truly awesome news. I have been waiting for ages to replace my snapper case DVD, though it has been so long I'll probably keep the snapper for the nostalgia factor.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Excellent news. I haven't seen Lone Star since I rented this on the old DVD in the 200X's. Amazing film - that hasn't been easily available to watch for years via physical media. I.e., the DVD is long OOP.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Excellent news. I haven't seen Lone Star since I rented this on the old DVD in the 200X's. Amazing film - that hasn't been easily available to watch for years.
It has been available for those that have digital libraries on iTunes and Vudu in 1080p.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This is a day-one-don’t-wait-for-the-Criterion-sale purchase for me, as would be other Sayles films like City of Hope, Return of the Secaucus Seven, and more.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
John Sayles is an artist who started out as an actor and turned out to be a great director, as well as a writer and editor. When he made Lone Star, he was at his peak. His style of filmmaking is rarely made in Hollywood anymore. I just re-watched Joe Dante's Matinee, from 1993, and had forgotten that Sayles pops up as a character in that movie. He was so prolific for so long, but hasn't directed a movie in ten years - probably because no-one will finance his sort of movies anymore. He's only 73. Unlike say, Martin Scorsese or Clint Eastwood, Sayles was never able to make a real blockbuster for the studios, as a trade-off for his personal projects. Most of his films hardly made any money. He's the sort of director, who may have continued to work, had he been a European director - with access to state funding allocated by governments, for art.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sometimes, in advance, I like to know what I may possibly be investing my money into

Watched LONE STAR today via a Blu-ray copy

Tremendous film. Loved it! Had no idea this even existed and it stars one of my favorite modern actors, Chris Cooper (but you knew that already)

And surprise, surprise! My favorite Sherriff from two James Bond films (not to mention COOL HAND LUKE), Clifton James, has a notable role.

I can see why all of you are so excited to see Criterion releasing this on 4k. I'll be purchasing it as well once the price drops.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Sometimes, in advance, I like to know what I may possibly be investing my money into

Watched LONE STAR today via a Blu-ray copy

Tremendous film. Loved it! Had no idea this even existed and it stars one of my favorite modern actors, Chris Cooper (but you knew that already)

And surprise, surprise! My favorite Sherriff from two James Bond films (not to mention COOL HAND LUKE), Clifton James, has a notable role.

I can see why all of you are so excited to see Criterion releasing this on 4k. I'll be purchasing it as well once the price drops.
Have you received an advance copy from Criterion? The only previous release of anything titled Lone Star on blu-ray, was the TV series 9-1-1: Lone Star, which I highly doubt had any input from John Sayles ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks