What's new
World Wide Stereo

Starting to build and I would like some advice (1 Viewer)

Sparks

Agent
Real Name
Chris
I have just framed out my basement after completeing my Wifes dream home. Of course I planned the Basement out to be my "Man Cave" which of course has a dedicated HT. The room size is approx. 20'Wx23'Dx9'3"H with an attached A/V Room that I plan on building a custom Shelf Unit to have access to my Equipment and Storage. I plan on carpeting the floor and placing the Screen with 2 rows of 4 seats each (The second row on an 8-10" Riser with bass diffuser built in).

Question 1 - What recommendations do you have on wiring? I plan on a 7.2 Surround w/ 2 subs.

Question 2- I have a large entry that I plan using a "Sliding Glass door" to enter from the Bar/Poker Room. I figure with a 6' Glass Door, I will need to make a Curtain of some sort to cover the large area of glass to reduce the sound reflection's while enjoying the entertainment... Do you think this would be suffecient?

Question 3- I am planning on going with a front projecting unit. I can't find anywhere that gives a standard of putting the hdmi cable and of course electrical, which I plan to run through 3" conduit in the ceiling for additonal a/v cables. I can run to 2 areas if you think it would be a good idea, but I am just wondering if it is necessary. The first 1 would be at the rear (23' from the screen), and I was thinking of putting the other one approximately 10'-12'.

Question 4- What size screen would anyone recommend, and would it be fixed or not?

I am sure I will have more questions on equipment later... but thanks for any suggestion you may have.

Chris

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. Use the Dolby Labs speaker placement recommendations. Use CL-3 speaker wire to run in the walls. I use RG-6 (RG-59 is acceptable) for my subwoofer cable. If you don't have a location already picked, then run it to multiple spots. You never know the best spot for the sub until you test it. Finally it is NOT 7.2 because you have 2 subs. It is still 7.1 because you have 7 discreet channels of audio as well as a single LFE channel. You are just splitting the .1 to feed two subs.

2. Use a thick curtain.

3. I'm not sure what you mean by 'standard'. Standard placement? There isn't one. It is projector/screen dependent.

4. Depends on how you set your room up. I sit 12 feet from my screen and it is 103". I determined that by making sure my field of vision was no more than 30 degrees (or something close to that). Fixed or not is up to you. I choose a fixed screen because I could stretch the fabric tight. A retractable screen may be wavy when lower it.

-Robert

Sparks

Agent
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for your advice Robert. I am studying on everything it seems like. I haven't decided on which projector to purchase yet, so I don't know what the specs are. I appreciate the help. Chris

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Pick a spot where you think you will sit and make a rectangle the size of the screen using tape. That will give you a good starting point on how large you can go. Adjust the seats or picture size until you feel comfortable with it. Don't forget screen height as well. My eyes are even with the list separating the middle 3rd of my screen from the bottom 3rd. It is no fun if your screen is too high and you have a neck ache watching TV.

-Robert

TeddM

Stunt Coordinator
Why the glass door if this is a dedicated room?

A single solid wood door with gasket would be a far superior choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks