What's new

Start up Problem (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
This one has got me stumped.
Starting up my computer normally in XP everything is ok for about 10 seconds, then nothing will start up and by about 20 seconds nothing works anymore.
It seems like applications will start then they just die.
I am in 'safe with network' mode now but system restore does not help.
The latest application updates (HP printer) can not be removed during safe mode.
Any help or sugestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Grant

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Can you get to the Internet while in Safe Mode? If you can, go to Microsoft's website and get their latest SpyWare beta and run it. Then do an online scan for viruses from www.trendmicro.com. You may have a bunch of stuff that is causing this condition. I have seen spy/adware literally destroy a computer. If this does't work, archive your important data, if you can, and reinstall (be sure to reformat your drive) XP.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Chuck
Thanks, I downloaded the software but of course it won't install in the safemode....the couple of other ideas I had was twarted by this insane Catch 22 Microsoft has embeded into to the system

Kelvin Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
Try this to see if you can narrow down the problem, by elimnation Startup items. I'd suggest that you try eliminating ALL of them first, then add them back one at a time.

Eliminate ALL Startup Items

1) Start in Safe Mode (no networking needed)
2) Click: Start -> Run
3) Type: msconfig and hit enter
You should get a System Configuration Utility Window opened
4) Select: Selective Startup
5) UnSelect: Load Startup Items
6) Click OK, and Reboot

If it seems to work OK when it comes back, then you can try adding Startup items back one at a time. To do this just Repeat steps 1-3, and choose the Startup Tab. Then just Select one at a time, and reboot to see if/when the problem reoccurs.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Well I started getting the 'Blue screen of death' so I ended up reloading XP whichgot me up and running and only another 16000 programs to install...or so it seems,
Thanks everyone for your help

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks