What's new

DVD Drive On PC Laptop No Longer Opens Without Paperclip Trick! (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Last night, on the DVD Drive of my 10 year old Acer PC Laptop, I put in a DVD from the PD SHIRLEY TEMPLE & FRIENDS set by Echo Bridge.

The reason I mention this is as soon as I put in the disc, the DVD Drive started getting rather noisy. Also, about 2 minutes into the disc (I was playing DORA'S DUNKING DONUTS), the DVD froze up. When I pressed the eject button on the DVD Drive, it refused to open, and I had to implement the paperclip in the hole trick to remove the DVD from the Drive.

The problem is, now pressing the physical eject button on the DVD Drive no longer works at all! I've tried the Eject via the File Explorer command within "My PC." I even tried rebooting my PC, but nothing has worked. I've had to reconfigure the layout of my laptop to make it a bit easier to implement the paperclip trick method, but the hole is really hard to find and I really don't like having to jostle my Laptop around every time I need to open the DVD Drive!

Even if I could afford a new Laptop, getting one with a DVD Drive is likely next to impossible these days, which makes this problem a huge PITA!

Is there any trick that I'm missing that might work to fix my problem, or am I pretty much SOL regarding this?

I should also mention that while I do have an external Pioneer BD-RW drive, it is set to Region 2 for DVD playback. Therefore, ignoring my built-in DVD Drive isn't a viable option, at present!

CHEERS! :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Is there any trick that I'm missing that might work to fix my problem, or am I pretty much SOL regarding this?

I should also mention that while I do have an external Pioneer BD-RW drive, it is set to Region 2 for DVD playback. Therefore, ignoring my built-in DVD Drive isn't a viable option, at present!

Probably SOL. Having a laptop disc drive last ten years is a major achievement - they’re not really built to last that long to begin with.

If you can’t repurpose your existing external drive for Region 1 playback, your best option is probably to get an additional external drive to use for Region 1. You can also look into hacks to convert your existing external drive to handle all region playback but as I’m not a PC user, I don’t have any advice on how to do that.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The disc is probably jammed in the drive. The only thing I can think of is to try to jostle it back into place so you can use the paperclip.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The disc is probably jammed in the drive. The only thing I can think of is to try to jostle it back into place so you can use the paperclip.
Even with the DVD Drive empty, it will no longer open unless I force it open by inserting the paperclip. When I try opening it via Explorer, the Drive lights up, but nothing else happens.

If I had to guess, something in the Drive Eject mechanism got jarred out of place with that Shirley Temple DVD I popped in last night (See my 1st post!), as that's when the Eject button stopped working as it should. I can still play DVDs and they don't get stuck, per se.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Probably SOL. Having a laptop disc drive last ten years is a major achievement - they’re not really built to last that long to begin with.

If you can’t repurpose your existing external drive for Region 1 playback, your best option is probably to get an additional external drive to use for Region 1. You can also look into hacks to convert your existing external drive to handle all region playback but as I’m not a PC user, I don’t have any advice on how to do that.
I'll likely have to check my Leawo Blu-ray player app to see whether I can also play Region 1 DVDs via my External BD-Drive. As it stands, I'm already using all of the USB ports on my USB Power Bar. If worst comes to worst, I can just reset the drive to Region 1, as the only DVD in my collection that's really affected is one that I've basically retired, anyway. I just like having both options in case. It's if/when I get into doing any other screenshot comparisons that it'll become a huge PITA.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
When you insert the paper clip it pushes into a latch that swivels. Maybe the latch is stuck. You can see the latch lined up with pinhole underneath the tray when it is open. The tray may be misaligned.

Replacing the DVD drive itself is simple. Only one screw. The tricky part is identifying a replacement drive that will work with your laptop.

Try searching Amazon with your Acer laptop model number for DVD drive replacement.

The listing details will identify the Acer models they work with. For example:
Screenshot 2023-11-19 170215.jpg

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'll likely have to check my Leawo Blu-ray player app to see whether I can also play Region 1 DVDs via my External BD-Drive. As it stands, I'm already using all of the USB ports on my USB Power Bar. If worst comes to worst, I can just reset the drive to Region 1, as the only DVD in my collection that's really affected is one that I've basically retired, anyway. I just like having both options in case. It's if/when I get into doing any other screenshot comparisons that it'll become a huge PITA.
The good news is Leawo Blu-ray Player DOES play Region 1 DVDs on my Region 2 set BD-External Drive, so there's that, at least!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Surplus PC parts may be much cheaper on eBay. Find the internal Acer part number first then search eBay on "Acer part#". You may wish to pull the drive first and read the label on it for the part number.

Do we need to start a new thread on helping Tony find a new laptop cheap?

Since I'm up on Dell models I looked around and found they stopped putting in DVD drives in laptops circa 2019. Those only had 7th generation Intel processors so they can't be upgraded to Win 11. They keep DVD drives in desktops since there's so much extra room.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Surplus PC parts may be much cheaper on eBay. Find the internal Acer part number first then search eBay on "Acer part#". You may wish to pull the drive first and read the label on it for the part number.

Since I'm up on Dell models I looked around and found they stopped putting in DVD drives in laptops circa 2019. Those only had 7th generation Intel processors so they can't be upgraded to Win 11. They keep DVD drives in desktops since there's so much extra room.
LOL, I think I'm OK, for now. Last night, I saw some External BD-Drives on Amazon Canada for under $100. I might just get one of those as a backup, at some point. That way, if/when my Laptop finally hits the biscuit, I won't have to cannibalize it. :D

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Of course, I just had to try playing that Shirley Temple & Friends DVD in the Drive again in the faint hopes that doing so might somehow reset the eject button.

Now, DVDs won't load in that drive at all, anymore! I just tried loading several different ones to make sure. Sigh!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

At this point, I'm looking at a couple of refurbished Dell Desktop Models that are in the < $150 price range for my Christmas Wish List. I don't really need another Laptop, as I have a Tablet for portability.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I know you said you rebooted - but have you done true shutdown?

If you can remove the battery, shut down, remove the battery, press the power button, reinsert the battery, start the system. If removing the battery isn't possible do everything else but wait ~30 seconds after shutting down before starting again.

It may be a simple hardware "confusion" that needs a full power cycle to cure - something a "reboot" doesn't do.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I know you said you rebooted - but have you done true shutdown?

If you can remove the battery, shut down, remove the battery, press the power button, reinsert the battery, start the system. If removing the battery isn't possible do everything else but wait ~30 seconds after shutting down before starting again.

It may be a simple hardware "confusion" that needs a full power cycle to cure - something a "reboot" doesn't do.
That I didn't do. I'll definitely be leaving the battery alone, as it is being held in place by some silly putty like substance from when I was experiencing other issues a few years back. I still suspect a Windows 10 update was the likely culprit. I will try a hard reboot, though.

At this point, I'm also looking into inexpensive refurbished PCs, as my Acer PC Laptop is 10 years old and showing its age. Chances are most refurbished models are at least somewhat newer than that, and will hopefully see me through to the end date for Windows 10 security patch support in the fall of 2025. Hopefully by then, there will be some relatively inexpensive Windows 11 (Or at least Windows 11 capable!) refurbished options available. It is PC Desktops that I'm looking into, as I have a Galaxy Tablet for portability purpose and convenience, but I need something with DVD Drive capability, and most Laptops no longer include that option.

EDIT: I just attempted the true shutdown (Minus the Battery removal) and waited over a minute to restart my PC. It didn't work in reviving my DVD Drive, sadly. Thanks for the tip, though!

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Bummer that didn't work... oh well...

As far as drives for laptops - there are many portable USB varieties that work quite well if you really want the "convenience" of a laptop for other things. I keep a desktop around for things needing a drive (mostly ripping CDs for backup and the car and burning the occasional CD/DVD) and use a laptop for almost everything else. If I had a docking station on the desk instead of using a desktop system I'd just switch to portable drives.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
How about this PC for $133? https://www.ebay.com/itm/276168474688? Run it for awhile and then take the free upgrade to Win 11 Pro.

As I've mentioned many times, the Optiplex 3060 line with 8th gen Intel processors is the oldest Optiplex that will run Win 11. This one should meet all your requirements.
Hi Dennis!

First off, thank you for posting this link!

Second, as I haven't been keeping up with the latest PC Desktops for a number of years now, is there anything in specs to look out for to clue me in as to whether any given Desktop is Windows 11 upgrade-able? I'm aware of the TPM spec (Must be 2.0 or better!) being the key requirement, but I haven't noticed any such spec being included in online PC listings. Not very helpful for those of us who haven't kept up to date.

Here's a refurbished Dell PC system I've been eyeing just to give everyone an idea. Whether it's Windows 11 capable, without a TPM spec listing, I have no clue!:

Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
That's a very old machine: has PS/2 connectors and no USB 3 connectors. Uses DDR3 memory which is very old. I would not suggest that. You need to look at ads that state the actual processor part number. That seller looks almost like a scammer to me.

Dell lists which of their models can run Win 11. Unfortunately they have re-used Optiplex 7010 model which now has a 13th gen processor.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
That's a very old machine: has PS/2 connectors and no USB 3 connectors. Uses DDR3 memory which is very old. I would not suggest that. You need to look at ads that state the actual processor part number. That seller looks almost like a scammer to me.

Dell lists which of their models can run Win 11. Unfortunately they have re-used Optiplex 7010 model which now has a 13th gen processor.

So the listing of 4 USB 3.0 connectors is false, then? That sucks!

Is there a minimum Gen Processor Level required to handle Windows 11? If so, would that be 5th Gen? 8th Gen?

I really wish these manufacturers/refurbishers would list TPM, but that would make too much sense, I guess?

Also, Dell's site unhelpfully no longer lists their specific Windows 11 capable products. That sucks!

Anyway, the Dell PC for which you posted the link runs a bit north of $200 Canadian once shipping and rate of exchange are figured in. Much as it sucks, I suspect I'm stuck with Windows 10 Pro at best, for the time being.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
So the listing of 4 USB 3.0 connectors is false, then? That sucks!

Is there a minimum Gen Processor Level required to handle Windows 11? If so, would that be 5th Gen? 8th Gen?

I really wish these manufacturers/refurbishers would list TPM, but that would make too much sense, I guess?

Also, Dell's site unhelpfully no longer lists their specific Windows 11 capable products. That sucks!

Anyway, the Dell PC for which you posted the link runs a bit north of $200 Canadian once shipping and rate of exchange are figured in. Much as it sucks, I suspect I'm stuck with Windows 10 Pro at best, for the time being.

What Dennis said is incorrect... We used those models where I work in student computer labs (IT for a large school district). They have 10 USB *plus* PS2 ports for Mouse/Keyboard (which, contrary to most pundits, have better/faster response needed for gaming). There are 6 USB ports on the back (2 are "high speed) and 4 on the front. HOWEVER - it will *not* pass the test to run Win11 (the processor, an i5, fails the test). It's a decent system and with an SSD (in place of a standard HD, which is likely what's installed) will give you a couple of years of service. It would be better if it had 16GB RAM but 8GB is sufficient for basic work.

Here's a better version (faster processor - larger *SSD* and twice the RAM) - it's a few more $$ but worth the extra:

That said, it may not qualify for a Win11 upgrade (it has an i7 processor but may be one that's "not compatible" - some are, some are not). If it doesn't, you can force the issue but it's unofficial and MS absolutely does not support the methods.

If you *really* need the lower price and can live with an older i5 processor, this one has more RAM (good) and a larger HD (also good) for just a couple more $$ than what you found:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
What Dennis said is incorrect... We used those models where I work in student computer labs (IT for a large school district). They have 10 USB *plus* PS2 ports for Mouse/Keyboard (which, contrary to most pundits, have better/faster response needed for gaming). There are 6 USB ports on the back (2 are "high speed) and 4 on the front. HOWEVER - it will *not* pass the test to run Win11 (the processor, an i5, fails the test). It's a decent system and with an SSD (in place of a standard HD, which is likely what's installed) will give you a couple of years of service. It would be better if it had 16GB RAM but 8GB is sufficient for basic work.

Here's a better version (faster processor - larger *SSD* and twice the RAM) - it's a few more $$ but worth the extra:

That said, it may not qualify for a Win11 upgrade (it has an i7 processor but may be one that's "not compatible" - some are, some are not). If it doesn't, you can force the issue but it's unofficial and MS absolutely does not support the methods.

Hi Howie!

Unfortunately, I feel that I need to keep it under $200 in Canadian Dollars, especially with a PC system that may or may not be Windows 11 capable, great as the other specs are. It's really too bad there appears to be no current listings for such PCs manufactured in the last few years that ARE Windows 11 capable. I already know my current non Dell PC Laptop isn't Windows 11 capable, thank you very much, Dell! 🙄

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks