What's new

Onkyo TX-NR747 - no rear channels with PCM 4.0 playback? (1 Viewer)

uVSthem

Agent
Real Name
uVSthem
I am having an unusual issue with my TX-NR747. Anytime I send a 4.0 PCM audio signal to the Onkyo there is no sound coming from the rear channels. It's only with PCM 4.0 that I have no rear channels. If I play 5.1, 7.1 they all work fine. The TX-NR747 isn't down mixing the rear channels of the 4.0 into the front, it is losing the two rear channels. When I press the display button on the TX-NR747 remote it shows that it is receiving a 4.0PCM signal. It also shows that the Onkyo is sending out a 4.0 PCM signal however the rear channels simply are not there. It doesn't make a difference what the source of the audio is or what I am playing it back on. I tried 3 different Blu-ray players and a laptop all using HDMI out. I tried multiple formats. DVD-A, FLAC, and it's all the same. If the players decode it to PCM and sends it 4.0 there are no rear channels.
I first notice the issue playing back the Blu-ray discs included in the Pink Floyd Immersion Box Sets. With the quad audio settings my rear speakers were silent. Setting the mix to the 5.1 mix played back the desired results. After that I downloaded some 4.0 FLAC files and tired some 4.0 DVD-A discs. Same thing, no rear channels. I finally attached my laptop to the TX-NR747 and set the speakers to 4.0 surround in Windows control panel. When I ran the speaker test no audio was coming out of the rear channels. When I set the speakers to 5.1 or 7.1 in Windows the rear channels played with no problem.
I don't understand what the issue could be and Onkyo is basically giving me the run around. My main Blu-ray player is the Oppo BDP-83SE which I also use for DVD-A discs but I tried a few different Samsung players (mainly for the FLAC files which I played off a thumb drive) and everything was the same. Why would the TX-NR747 not be able to play 4.0 PCM?

Tralis

Grip
Real Name
Dab Brill
Because Onkyo didn't expect it to be a format. It's a pretty rare format, after all.

Tralis

Grip
Real Name
Dab Brill
I've noticed my Onkyo reciever won't pass through HDMI signals unless they are in a home theater resolution. Computer resolutions weird it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks