What's new

This PC - Freezing Problem!!!! (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The following issue started a little while ago, and it is potentially a HUGE problem!

Since a picture paints a thousand words, I've posted this screenshot blow:
This PC - Freezes EVERY Time!!!! Screenshot 2023-01-14 041129.jpg

Now, EVERY time I try to access This PC, immediately the dreaded "Working on it...' pops up and the This PC folder NEVER loads!

What on earth could be causing this crap? No other folder is giving me this issue!

I hope to god this isn't some early sign of hard drive failure! I did do a Windows 10 cumulative update early yesterday (Friday the 13!), so maybe something in that is somehow the cause of the This PC freezing problem? I did try rebooting my PC Laptop, but that didn't make any difference, at all!! File Explorer otherwise works just fine.
Screenshot 2023-01-14 042037.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A few thoughts/suggestions:

1. Do you have any external storage devices attached to the PC? If so, I would unplug them one by one and see if the problem goes away.

2. Search on the Microsoft tech support site to see if anyone has reported a similar issue with that Windows Update. You could also try rolling back that update to see if the problem goes away.

3. I believe there is a disk utility app on Windows 10 that allows you to test your drives for defects and make repairs. You could try running this to see if there are any issues with the C: drive. I would recommend that you make sure you have a current backup of your data files before doing this. Actually, you should make sure of this as a first step anyway, in case your PC is indeed developing problems.

You may want to have an admin move this thread from After Hours to the Computer forum. You may get more assistance there.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
A few thoughts/suggestions:

1. Do you have any external storage devices attached to the PC? If so, I would unplug them one by one and see if the problem goes away.

2. Search on the Microsoft tech support site to see if anyone has reported a similar issue with that Windows Update. You could also try rolling back that update to see if the problem goes away.

3. I believe there is a disk utility app on Windows 10 that allows you to test your drives for defects and make repairs. You could try running this to see if there are any issues with the C: drive. I would recommend that you make sure you have a current backup of your data files before doing this. Actually, you should make sure of this as a first step anyway, in case your PC is indeed developing problems.

You may want to have an admin move this thread from After Hours to the Computer forum. You may get more assistance there.
Hi Scott,

"This PC" does eventually load. However, I have no idea how long this takes as I went to sleep in the interim. I did notice this issue in the wee hours, and highly suspect the last cumulative update that I performed early yesterday morning is the likely culprit.

What strikes me weird is literally everything else in File Explorer loads quickly like it should. It is ONLY "This PC" that is acting up!

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. I'll try what you suggested in 3 first with all drives other than C unattached.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Unplugging all external devices seems to help. Most of my devices are on a USB power bar, so it'll take a bit of doing to eliminate any that might be causing issues, although as I stated, this wasn't an issue at all before yesterday's Windows 10 cumulative update, and I haven't added any new devices to the mix since that update.

UPDATE: Even after plugging everything back in, all seems to be well with "This PC" loading at the moment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks