What's new

Stargate SG-1 Cancelled (1 Viewer)

DwightK

Second Unit
If you watched the 200th episode this should not be a surprise.

The ep. started with the making of a movie, went to a TV show that lasted 10 seasons, was cancelled, and the last thing in the show was the phonecall where a movie was greenlit.

Coincidence?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Actually this was the first year since season 4 where the entire cast was signed for and ready to do another year. They all also espoused the creative renewal of the series regularly (though that is their job)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I suspect there will be, at the very least, a miniseries to follow as a wrap up. From there, I would think Shanks, Browder, and Black would make the most successful transition to SG-A, at least until the SG-1 movie comes along.

However, I'd be happy to watch SG-1 S11 on another affilliate or buy it on DVD for an inflated price (pipe dream I know).

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Wow, just as I was getting over the sting of MST3K being unceremoniously dumped by this network, now this! Thanks, SciFi! :thumbsdown: :P

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I cant believe this, at a time when there is talk of a movie sequel.

Just read the article, "falls short of ECW", yep, there's some real Science Fiction for you. :rolleyes

If it does end, how do you think it should go out. Here are a few possibilities, choose or add to these.

1. It just ends, no cliffhanger, and basically a regular episode. Life goes on, we just don't see any more.

2. The Stargate program is shut down.

3. SG1 is either lost or killed. Possibly on an uncharted gate world, maybe there is no way for them to come back. Something along those lines.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Anybody know a rating site that lists ratings beyond the top 20. I can find a lot of sites listing neilsen ratings, but they only list the top 20. I often want to know things like where SG-1 (and BSG) are in the ratings. Since they're not Top 20, I can never find the info other than 4th-5th party references that they're "doing better" or "doing worse" etc.

SG-1 wasn't on SciFi for 10 years. It started on Showtime, where it ran for (I think) 4 years.

If they continue the show, I'd watch, but 10 years is a good run. The loss of RDA did have an impact.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I can understand if the original cast wants to leave the show. After all, how many here can say they've been employed by the same company for ten years?

As for the series itself, yes it's a viable franchise for as long as the stories remain strong. Unfortunately, Atlantis resembles more and more like a dumbed-down version of SG-1. The production team would have to find a highly interesting spin-off to keep the series going otherwise they'll be jumping sharks left and right.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

While I think the quality has dropped for a while now, and the series isn't as good as when RDA led the show, I would follow a S11 on another venue - even PPV/DVD.

In fact, I'd be for that option if for no other reason than it would inspire others to go that route (*cough* Firefly *cought*). I really think sci-fi could flourish in this arena, if someone would take the lead.

Arild

Supporting Actor
That's not the case, though - the cast were already signed on to do season 11.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Regarding the 30% drop in ratings, I wonder if viewers who Tivo the show are factored in the ratings.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

Why should they be? Ratings exist to tell advertizers how many people are seeing their commercials. If you're using Tivo, chances are you're skipping them.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Thing I don't get about the ratings, how do they know if you watch it. Are we really in Big Brother. I usually record it, VCR, so my Cable Box is tuned to Sci-Fi during that timeframe. How do they know if my TV is actually on or not?

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I doubt we'll see the actors moving over to Atlantis. The money just isn't there to absorb those high salaries.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

They don't. They select random households and ask them to write down everything they watch throughout the day.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

So all these pleas for people to watch a certain show to increase the ratings don't mean squat. You would know if you were one of the people who was being asked to keep track of your viewing or not. Also, those people could lie and say they watched something live on the air, but actually TIVO'd or VCR'd it.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Some larger markets have boxes that hook up to the TV to keep track of the ratings. Most of the country gets ratings diaries, where the viewer keeps track.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Wow! This sucks! I finally switched to Dish Network because my cable company didn't carry Sci-Fi and I was missing SG-1. And as soon as I do they cancel it. :frowning:

GordonL

Supporting Actor
I don't know if it's been proven that the number of people who actually watch the commercials is signifcantly higher than those who fast forward thru them. Just because people can't skip them doesn't mean they're actually watching them. This is why Tivo ratings is really useful. They can tell who's watching and who's fast forwarding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks