Stargate SG-1 Cancelled

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by david_hu, Aug 21, 2006.

1. david_hu

david_hu Stunt Coordinator

Fans should note the SciFi channel has now cancelled Stargate SG-1. Atlantis has been renewed for a forth season, though.

2. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

What is your source? It's possible any web rumours are due a Stargate SG-1 game being cancelled.

3. david_hu

david_hu Stunt Coordinator

4. Lee Jamilkowski

Lee Jamilkowski Stunt Coordinator

5. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    It's had a good run. 10 years is a long time.
    I wish Farscape had had that run or at least half of it.

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Wow, that sucks. Good run though. I haven't watched any of this season yet...I've been catching up on DVD the last couple years. The end of an era...I've been watching this show since I was in high school.

7. Arild

Arild Supporting Actor

Cooper: SG-1 will go on.

It won't surprise me if after season 10 we see direct-to-video movies, or maybe a miniseries (a la Farscape) or maybe even a feature film (since this was always what they'd planned to do after the show ended, it just never did until now).

I'm gonna miss the show and the characters immensely when it's gone, but this was not at all unexpected. I am relieved that Atlantis didn't suffer the same fate, though. I'd feared we'd lose both shows after this season.

8. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Well. I doubt we'll see a feature film, since Dean Devlin wants to make a sequel to the movie that has nothing to do with the show.

Has anyone heard how far into production they are in this final season? I surely hope they have time to wrap up the Ori storyline and give us a proper ending. I'm still reeling from Farscape's season 4 cliffhanger when Sci-fi announced it's cancellation after they were done. The mini-series that followed a couple years later made up for it a little. Seems to me that cancellation was announce around this time of year... maybe early September.

It seems that Sci-fi has little respect for its programming and its fans.

I know there are some folks that think the show should have ended with season 8, but as a relative newbie (I only started watching in season 8 with the debut of Atlantis), I'd like to see the show get a proper sendoff.

9. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    SCI-FI must be crazy... what other show are they going to get that will replace SG-1? I'd wager it's probably one of their highest rated shows next to Battlestar. O'well it was a good 10 year run and I suppose I knew it was closer to the end than the beginning. I do feel bad for Ben Browder and Claudia Black seeing as how they just got cancelled from another great show on the Sci-Fi Channel.

10. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Just found this nice bit of information from Daily Variety which was reprinted here. Basically Sci-fi is saying the cancellation was not due to ratings and they have It's still clear why they decided to cancel the show although according to the article ratings have seen a decline over the last year or so. But atleast we won't have another Farscape type cliff-hanger to deal with!

11. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

TV shows get more expensive to produce the longer they go on, because the people involved keep getting raises. That's why Star Trek series always ended after seven years.

And remember, Farscape was well rated too. It was canceled because it wasn't cost effective -- the budget was too high for the revenue it was bringing in.

12. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    10 years is a really good run. And SciFi has agreements with other development houses to put forward programming as well. SciFi may just feel ten years is the perfect chance to get out on a high note. God knows, there are lots of programs that were good.. and then went that one last terrible season. Example: Highlander the Series.

I have no problem with them going out after 10 years, after all, they are continuing the sequel, and this may just be the perfect chance for them to move Atlantis into the spotlight in order to increase it's viewership and pair it with something different.

I can't complain. SciFi has been very good to Science Fiction over the last few years after a rocky start. Their productions of "Dune" and "Children of Dune" were very good, IMHO, and they've done quite a few decent TV film adaptations. BSG has been great, and Eureka! has been a suprise to me this summer.

Congrats to SG1 for it's 10 years on the network. That's a great run by any show.

13. Arild

Arild Supporting Actor

The key words being "wants to". If MGM decides to let the SG-1 people do a movie instead (which at the very least was their plan at some point), there's not a damn thing he can do.

14. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

You guys have it all wrong. Stargate SG-1 hasn't been canceled, they are just ending the series with style and grace. Farscape was canceled. Star Trek was canceled. Star Trek Enterprise was canceled.

Stargate SG-1 is just ending its long and successful end and it's about time. Who needs a television show that is never ending and rehashes old stories. At least this gives room for more crossovers with the Atlantis series.

15. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason

Mark, if a show is not renewed for another season, it is canceled. So, in essense, every show on television will get canceled at some point.

No, I'm not a Stargate (either of them) fan. But knowing this show is coming to an end marks the end of a very long and successful television run.

16. Brian^K

Brian^K Supporting Actor

Yeah, this is a cancellation -- what matters is that the producers and (most of the) stars were willing to do another season. The network decided against it. That's a cancellation.

And it's about time. The production team is simply not deep enough to support two series, so I'm rather satisfied with this news. Hopefully, Stargate Atlantis will get a few good seasons now, assuming they do the right thing and put their best resources on that endeavor.

You'd lose that bet. Even the new series Eureka is beating Stargate SG-1 this year. And Stargate Atlantis is as well.

17. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    Not happy to see the show go, but yes 10 years is a great run. The thing that stinks is that Ben and Claudia won't get the few solid years of exposure I'd like them to get after FARSCAPE.

While guest spots of SG-1 people on Atlantis once a year or so would be nice, I think SG-1 being cancelled makes that more difficult, not easier.

The actors will (hopefully for them) have moved on to other things and may not be available. It is super easy to do crossovers when both shows are in production since both have their existing sets ready to go and the actors are right there working on a sister production and are available.

I wonder how this will affect the story line of SG-A, if at all. As of now, Atlantis can interact with SG command on Earth, they can go there through the gate, they have to deal with issues from Earth (oversight and political stuff), etc... If the SG-1 sets are destroyed, that would make these story aspects more difficult.

I suppose the SG command sets (or at least the gate room set) can just be given to the SG-A production team and become part of that show's sets?

18. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

It's not a cancellation. The producers are just bowing out of the show and ending it where it is with the current season. Star Trek The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, VoyagerMASH, Seinfeld and many more shows like that are not canceled. Stargate joins those ranks. What nobody realizes is that sooner or later, when a show has had a successful run sometimes the producers and the network agree to end the shows run with grace rather than end up with a bad season.

Plus, the actors involved with the show probably wanted it to end as well. Just look at shows like Saved by the Bell, Home Improvement and other shows that kept the series going just to capitalize on the shows popularity instead of ending it with style.

My guess is that Shanks, Tappings, Judge wanted to leave the show and without that main cast, the show probably wouldn't have survivied. It barely survivied without RDA because RDA was one of the main reasons why the show was so popular. The main original cast moved the show along and that was proven in the ratings.

19. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean

From what I've read so far, this is a cancellation.

20. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    I looked up the ratings after my original posting and unfortunately you're dead right. It's too bad because I still think this show merits the higher viewership.