What's new

Starfield. More than Skyrim in space (1 Viewer)

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I'm excited to try Starfield later today (on Xbox Series X). I like the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games, but their aimless open world quest design leaves me feeling overwhelmed and lost. The reviews seem positive, with people saying that the game unfolds in unexpected ways. Curious to hear others' opinions.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
THIS guy is gonna be the savior of the universe?

IMG_1591.jpeg

I got my fanboy!
IMG_1593.jpeg

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Also, I absolutely love that they brought back the original voice-actor from Oblivion to reprise his role as The Adoring Fan here -- still waiting on my "Constellation Edition" to arrive from Amazon, but will hopefully be playing this thing over the long holiday weekend (on Xbox Series X, which was still preloading yesterday).

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was watching some game.play yesterday. Not really grabbing my interest. It looks a good game if a person is a Bethesda fan. Their games have never really caught on with me. As soon as I started hearing the comparisons to the Fallout series my interest waned. I played Fallout and found that my interest in it dissipated fast.

Still, I don't know, maybe this one would be different, but I would have to buy a PC to find out.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Love it so far. Just what I expected, and more. This is well written, great sound effects and music, and graphics look very nice. I'm impressed, and I already had high expectations. Awesome stuff.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Definitely saw some Skyrim and Fallout 4 DNA in the Starfield game play featured in the Tips and Tricks video Sam posted (even before those titles were explicitly called out.)

- Walter.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I expected this to be way overhyped and under-deliver. It seems to have delivered more than expected but not as expected. The 87 Metacritic rating is solid but still not quite what everyone was hoping for.

The reviews make it sound like the game does give you free reign to explore space but the exploration is mostly wasted space...which seems realistic but boring. The story seems interesting but I feel like every big space epic ends up telling the same basic story and ends it on a similar note.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I was feathering the jet pack on fall but the horizontal velocity was too great. I had heard you could commandeer those ships when they landed so imagine my surprise when it said the cockpit was inaccessible. There musta been a pilot left on board doing touch and goes. :)

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I'm loving Starfield. The plot and characters are typical Bethesda, but there's a metagame here: "discover game features and how they work." This is the addictive part. The game, purposefully I think, eliminates much of the tutorializing that people have come to expect from big-budget games and lets you figure out a lot of it yourself.
  • Pro: So many ways to play, features to discover, and skills to attain. Stupidly replayable.
  • Con: Comically terrible menus. They WORK, but are unpleasant to navigate. Nothing new from Bethesda on this front.
Now... I get why people expected a space simulation from Bethesda, given the speculation in the long release lead-up, but this is not that. It's not Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous or even No Many's Sky. This is Skyrim in space with curated areas, procedurally generated landscapes, and a ton (and I mean a TON) of fast travel options. You can frequently travel from planet to planet, even system to system, without ever getting in your ship.

Some people are just trying to get as powerful as possible in as short a span of time as possible. Others are taking their time exploring and doing planet surveys (I rose four levels this weekend only doing survey missions). The game supports all kinds of play styles.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I haven't played Starfield and I'm not sure if/when I might, but I've been reading the coverage of it and most of it seems to be "like Skyrim but in space," which makes me laugh a little whenever I see this thread title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks