What's new

Star Wars and N SYCH? How is this movie not going to suck? (1 Viewer)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Mark Hamill never had a desire to be a big actor. Also, he was far more identifiable to Star Wars than Harrison Ford. He was forever thought of as Luke Skywalker. As for Laughable, he wasn't laughable in anything.

You wanna see laughable, go watch the new Scorpion King trailer with The Rock. That's laughable.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I suppose that there was nothing else for you to watch or do?
I wanted to see digital projection (and for Terrell's edification, since he doesn't seem to know this, TPM was not shot digitally, but it WAS digitized and projected digitally as a demonstration of what would be possible. I wanted to see the technology).
As for the showing at the friend's house, it was a nice time together with some HTF friends, and I got to see Peter Staddon and other luminaries. The movie was dull, but better (slightly) than sleeping in a corner somewhere until we did other things. :)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
He was forever thought of as Luke Skywalker. As for Laughable, he wasn't laughable in anything.
Well you could have fooled the crowds in the theatre during it's Special Edition re-release. The crowd was laughing at parts where there were no punchlines, they were just plain laughing out loud at Mr.Hamill's "acting" ability during ANH. I guess some people had forgotten just how bad he was...
ANH is still one of the greatest movies I have ever seen but let's not act like it was perfect in every way... ;)
Back to AOTC, the acting will not kill this movie. That's my point and I'm sticking with it! :emoji_thumbsup:

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I said that was his weakest performance. But I wouldn't call it laughable. I've seen laughable. As for digital projection, it wasn't at the theater I saw it in. Maybe in your's Robert. But the vast majority don't even have digital projection yet.

Back to AOTC, the acting will not kill this movie. That's my point and I'm sticking with it!
Agreed! But then the only question mark I see in those terms in Hayden Christensen. The rest look solid. As for Lee, I have no doubts about him, nor do I have any doubts about McDiarmid.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Then I understand that. Although I still don't understnad going to see a film you dislike numerous times. It's like masochism. You're torturing yourself. But if people like doing that, the more power to them. Though I'll never understand it.
I'm not getting any work done. Luckily, I'm my own boss.:D

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Well, while I did not like TPM as a whole, I still enjoy watching the Pod Race scene in my home theater, and also the battle between Darth Maul, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. Thanks to the wonder of DVD I can watch those parts and that's it. Plus many of the documentaries and bonus features are interesting from a technical standpoint. I only saw it once in the theaters, and watched the entire film once on DVD. If that makes me masochistic, so be it. I could frankly care less how anyone chooses to characterize it. Another reason I got it on DVD is it is the ONLY one on DVD right now, and some scenes do still have the magic of Star Wars that the original trilogy gave me. Why on Earth Lucas can't just release a movie-only version of the original trilogy is beyond me. I would LOVE to have the original trilogy with no extras now, and buy a big box set of the entire saga later. I have the original trilogy on VHS, but with a 6.1 system and a nice TV, I can't subject myself to VHS anymore.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
That's not as masochistic as watching it 4 or 5 times in a theater. You only saw it once. As for the DVD, I guess that's understandable, but I've never bought a DVD of a film I didn't like. Different strokes for different folks.

RogerB

Second Unit
Well you could have fooled the crowds in the theatre during it's Special Edition re-release. The crowd was laughing at parts where there were no punchlines, they were just plain laughing out loud at Mr.Hamill's "acting" ability during ANH. I guess some people had forgotten just how bad he was...
NO ONE was laughing back in 1977 when I saw it more than 20 times.

I guess some people have forgotten how audiences have changed. Teens in particular can be hyper-critical, loud and obnoxious in a movie theater. I couldn't believe the behavior I witnessed at a showing of "Bring It On".

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
NO ONE was laughing back in 1977 when I saw it more than 20 times.
Not true, most reviews of Star Wars were not exactly glowing. Visually the movie kicked ass! And yes I'm sure all the SW fans who also saw it 20 times ignored any acting flaws. Just don't believe that for one minute that there weren't a few chuckles at the expense of Mr. Hamill's acting ability. (At least from the adults in the crowd who knew good acting when they saw it..)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I guess some people have forgotten how audiences have changed. Teens in particular can be hyper-critical, loud and obnoxious in a movie theater.
You're not kidding. I was shocked at the way the teenagers behaved at the showing of the re-released EXORCIST a year or so ago. They were laughing at stuff that wasn't remotely funny(ie, the desecration of the statue in the church, the needle being inserted into Regan, etc). And during the re-issue of ESB the audience got a big kick out of Yoda's line "Size matters not!".

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I understand what you're saying, but, I'm talking about the 20+ times I saw it on the giant curved screen at Eastwood theater in Indianapolis in 1977, and I'm telling you NO ONE LAUGHED.
You're probably right but that doesn't mean he wasn't bad, it just means that you were younger and don't look at movies quite the same as you do now.
This is just my opinion!
Haven't you ever seen a movie when you were young and you just loved it only to see it years later and go "what the.....!?"
I'm not bashing SW, it's just that as I got older (and experienced some real acting) Mark Hamill's performance got worse.... :)
EDIT: This is just my opinion, you may love his performance as much as the first time you saw it but for me he just get's more and more annoying. Kind of Like Jar Jar does for some people...

Kami

Screenwriter
http://www.seattlestarwars.com/image...tinglowres.gif
:rolleyes
As for watching a movie multiple times that you don't like....umm, what's wrong with that? I can't tell you how many movies I've watched multiple times just because they are good to watch on a home theater. Titan A.E., U-571, The Haunting DTS, etc...
Great sound and fun to watch on a home theater (as is Episode 1) but hardly what I would call a good movie. I think this is a practice many HTF'ers are guilty of :)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't call watching a bad movie fun under any circumstances. But if you do, more power to you.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I've just finished reading this entire thread! Wow! I did get a lot of laughs at some of the funny sarcasm though. Hey I'm 38 years old and was in the 7th grade when Star Wars came out and it forever changed the way I view movies. It separated the difference between TV and THE Movies. Like most of us here who grew up with Star Wars...seeing them again when they were released as SE's confirmed some of my childhood joys and confirmed some of the ridiculous cheezy dialogue. But that's what made Star Wars was the unapologetic innocence of the characters. How many of us dreamed of being Mark Hamil as Luke during the final battle with the Death Star? I did. I see nothing with AOTC that has me worried. In fact I AM PUMPED! I loved TPM too. Saw it several times in the theater and own the vhs ws, ld, and dvd. And yes, I have a life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks