What's new

Star Wars and N SYCH? How is this movie not going to suck? (1 Viewer)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Al, I was very impressed with the trailers. I personally don't see how you were unimpressed. As for Natalie, she looked great, and seemed much more at ease and relaxed. Ewan look great as well. Anakin looked stiff in a couple lines, but nothing that would destroy the film. I'm certainly not gonna judge the film from 4 or 5 lines. Lee will be spectacular as always, and McDiarmid will be great too. Again, if you feel the film is gonna stink, don't go see it. It's as simple as that. Go watch Spiderman. I'm sure they will sell your ticket to AOTC and Episode III very easily. OH, and don't buy the DVD when it comes out either.:)

mark_d

Second Unit
Who are you referring to?
I know you weren't addressing me, but there have been posts in either this thread or the "official" thread where people have claimed to have seen TPM multiple times, despite not enjoying the movie. I definately remember reading that. I also seem to remember the extrapolation that if they'd done it, many others must have, too. This was the reason for a "bad" film becoming an enormous financial success. It's also been stated that somehow the name "Star Wars" blinds people, and that one must be delusional to enjoy TPM.

As for the dialogue in the AOTC trailers, I have no problems with it and I would say so if I did. There is nothing there that sets my heart racing, and there is nothing that fills me with dread. It's functional, workmanlike, humorous in parts - befitting of the series. I am a big TPM fan, but have issues with dialogue (but the not acting - yes, even that of Master Lloyd).

TTFN

Mark

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
And the ferris wheel goes round and round:D Why must everything be hot or cold? I enjoyed some parts of each of the trailers.
1) Breathing - good all-around. Good use of visuals and sound, excellent teaser!
2) Mystery - I was less enthusiastic about this one...the flying through the power couplings:frowning: but I liked it a bit more on further viewing. Certainly not bad, just underwhelming EXCEPT the very end...Ewan is great, the line is funny, and it felt like Star Wars.
3) FL - Good and bad...the only things that didn't work for me were the conversations between Padme and Hayden. As good as Natalie looks, sometimes she's on and sometimes she is not. Hayden didn't look so great (except when he wasn't talking), but nor was he terrible. A little C. Lee and I am happy. Again, Ewan looks very good.
Just my two cents. The movie looks promising, but no trailer has set me on fire or cooled me off. No big deal. They are just trailers to me.
Now onto a MINOR gripe (besides *N'SYNC...see, I stay on topic;) ). I know Jango Fett is the villain du jour, but why is he in this movie? I can be an @$$, and say he's there to appeal to the fanboys, but I don't know. I never much cared about Boba Fett either, so that informs my opinion. BF just got his @$$ waxed in the movies anyway. But I know he is very popular. I am interested in how the script utilizes him. And no, don't tell me. I'll find out in 4 months. It's a rhetorical question. I am just worried he'll be a sparring partner for Obi-Wan. I also saw that Boba is in it as a little boy...I say no more.
Take care,
Chuck
P.S. Flame on:D

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
You'll see in 4 months.:D Okay, back to work. I could tell you Chuck, if you wanted to know spoilers.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, I must have seen the "FL" one last weekend (going by your descriptions). What does "FL" stand for?

And are these trailers available online?

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Al, FL = Forbidden Love. And you can find them at www.movie-list.com. There are 3 trailers. One is a teaser called Breathing. The second was a trailer made for fans that you could access through the DVD of TPM. The third is called Forbidden Love, and was seen with some copies of Harry Potter and FOTR.
However, if you didn't like FL, it's doubtful you'll like the other two.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
What always cracks me up is when people who say they hated The Phantom Menace admit to seeing the film three or four times in the theater just to make sure they hate it
Thanks for providing excellent refutation of the claim that everyone who saw it multiple times must therefore have highly regarded it, Jeff. :)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Hes playing a 9 year old kid
So what? Are you claiming that all 9 year olds, or kids playing 9 year olds, have equal acting ability (or, in Lloyd's case, a lack of acting ability)? Haley Joel Osment can act RINGS around the pathetic Lloyd.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I guess this is the proper thread...I couldn't find the other ones where they discussed the fans in Seattle camping out. They made their own poster...it's somewhat funny, and sad.
poster
Take care,
Chuck

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Whoever said that? Although it must be said that the overwhelming majority that saw it multiple times probably like like it, or love it. ANyone who hated it, yet saw it more than once needs some serious psychiatric help.
:laugh: @ Chuck. These guys have obviously never heard of Fandango. But it seems they are doing this to try and set a World Record.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Thanks for providing excellent refutation of the claim that everyone who saw it multiple times must therefore have highly regarded it, Jeff.
I don't consider that a refutation. I consider it reinforcement that people who saw TPM multiple times yet still claim they hated it are either lying or in need of some serious help. I am always willing to give a second chance to a movie I didn't like. If I don't like it after that second screening I assure you I don't watch it again and again just to be sure I hated it.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I consider it reinforcement that people who saw TPM multiple times yet still claim they hated
You set up a false dichotomy. It is not the case that everyone either MUST hate it or MUST highly regard it. In my case, my initial reaction was "unimpressed". The second time I saw it, a friend of mine paid my way at the best theater in Los Angeles (the prime motivation for going). The third time I went specifically to see and evaluate digital projection. The fourth time was at a friend's house to hear the much talked about LD. It was that viewing that crystallized my feelings about the film. Hardly the "lying or pyschotic" scenario you claim must be the case. And certainly refutation of the "anyone who's seen it multiple times must highly regard it" claim.

Todd McF

Second Unit
I'll admit to having seen TPM 6 times to see if would improve. I ran it *very* loud last time and it in fact improved a bit - probably because the others watching it were having fun.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
My friends,

Does anyone realize how civilized this conversation is? It's incredible. On a not to offend basis, here are some lovely tidbits from Link Removed. Quite funny...if I may include two of my favorites...these guys are actually really good:D

No, I'm suggesting it was Rick's idea - and that Lucas most likely just said, "Sure, put 'em in".

Brian's statements were that LUCAS was just out to get publicity via stunt casting. I alluded to the press release which states it was Rick's idea.

Which scenario seems more plausible:

SCENARIO A:

Rick: George, we've got to figure out a way to hype our already hyped film even more. What do you suggest?

George: I say we get an insepid Boy Band, say N*Sync, and have them play a role with hundreds of other Jedi where they are killed instantly.

Rick: Good idea! And, it will make the fans angry! I hate the fans! HAHAHAHAHA

George: ME TOO! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

SCENARIO B:

Rick: George, I asked N*Sync to stop by the set today, their big fans of the Star Wars series. I was thinking maybe they could play some extras or something in the Jedi Battle scene.

George: Sure, why not. We could always use more extra's and we don't have to use them in the final cut.

Rick: Cool, I'll get them to wardrobe.

Like I said, great stuff. I hope it made you smile:D

Take care,

Chuck

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry, but for people that constantly go to see films they despise, I don't understand that. Especially in the theaters, for whatever reason. You guys need help. What other conclusion can anyone come to. It's the same argument that someone who hates a film, yet buys the DVD and gives certain excuses for doing so. Forgive me for sounding harsh, but that makes no sense. I have no problem with someone not liking TPM. But then don't tell me you bought the DVD and watched the movie 5 times. That makes no sense. And at the very least, it also puts your opinion about the film into question.

As for digital projection, since when was TPM ever shot with digital projection? AOTC is, but TPM wasn't.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I don't have my hopes up for AOTC but all this talk about the acting has got me thinking. Has everyone forgotten just how bad Mark Hamill was as Luke? He was horrid! Yet... the supporting actors and the vision of the world was more than enough to make Star Wars (ANH) fly.
Just don't judge the acting as the end all of AOTC. They weren't exactly handing out the Oscars for the original 3 in the acting department were they... :D

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Mark Hamill was good in my opinion. His weakest performance was in ANH, but in ESB and ROTJ, I thought he and everyone else was solid. I wouldn't trade Mark Hamill for any actor on the planet. He made that role.:)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Mark Hamill was good in my opinion. His weakest performance was in ANH, but in ESB and ROTJ, I thought he and everyone else was solid.
He was laughable in ANH but I'll admit that he did get better in the next 2 but he was never a "good" actor. Just look at all the great acting jobs he got following the trilogy... ;)
If you want to see "good" acting in the original trilogy pay attention to Harrison Ford.
My point is that Anakin in AOTC looks like he's reading from a cue card BUT this does not mean the movie will fail... I saw Mark do it enough so why can't the new kid?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks