What's new

Star Trek Voyager (1 Viewer)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Hispro,

Thanks for the "heads up"! I see that "Enterprise" is also included with the sale and I still needed a couple of season sets from that series ...

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
I cannot believe they came down so low after going up to $63.00 !!

I just ordered season 1 and hope they stay on sale while !!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Quite a few of the Star Trek titles are part of the current Sci-Fi sale which is running until 5/18/09. I'm looking at finally picking up the "Star Trek the Animated Series".

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
I just bought seasons 6 & 7, gonna be broke soon !!

Why is the STNG not on sale ??

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah I just picked up S2-5, will have to wait on the final two I shot my $$ for this month. Good price thou...

Brian D H

Second Unit

LOL

You got through seasons 1 & 2 of STTNG and you still want more? Seriously though, you're in for a treat. Starting at season 3 it really gets good (though I assume you know that). You'll find that from this point on it is a MUCH better show. Enjoy!

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
Well, I finally purchased all 7 seasons of Voyager over the past month and put a nice dent in my checking account. :frowning:
Just finished season 1 and watching season 2 right now !

I had never seen the beginning of the series nor the ending, so am watching the episodes in the order they came out !!
I think this is my favorite Star Trek series of all !
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The sale will be over in four minutes. :frowning:

Edit: Well, looks like the sale didn't end automatically at midnight.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

It'll be interesting to revisit your words here when you've seen the whole show and give an impression of it then. Very interesting indeed...

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I'm guessing you are not a fan of the series---at least that's the way your post came across to me---and you expect his impression to change after seeing the whole series. What would you say to someone who has seen the whole series and still likes it the best?

shadyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Lloyd
Thanks Davidj and believe me, I will not change my mind even if I do not like the ending. There are some duds in every season, but I still enjoy the characters !
I have seen plenty enough to stand by my statement regardless !

Stan

Senior HTF Member

Might not have been right at midnight, but they've definitely raised prices recently.

Had no idea they had a sale going on. All four seasons of Enterprise were delivered today. Got them for $37.99 each. Pure luck that I just happened to order when I did, but saved over $50.

Just took a look and S1 & S4 are back up to $44.99, 2 & 3 are $56.99. Glad I got in when I did.

Not sure why 2 & 3 are so high. Some of the Voyager seasons are longer, yet they're priced $44.99 & $51.99.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

I wouldn't say I'm not a fan of the whole series, just a part of it.

As for you thinking it's the best of the Treks, fine. My biggest problem with the show was that it betrayed its very concept. That was a major factor in how I view it. For seasons 1 to 3 that never bothered me because those seasons were fantastic and didn't feature those huge epic game-changing episodes that ultimately didn't change the game at all.

My other reasons for my view of it changing over time was:

-The Borg became far too overused, losing any sense of suspense.
-The Doctor becoming too sickly-sweet when he was a complete ass at first.
-The endless holodeck / mind altering stories.

The Equinox idea was great, an 'anti-Voyager'. Too bad it was so short-lived because that could have made for a great recurring threat. Oddly enough that crew was more true to Voyager's concept (no reset-button mashing, no pristine ship with fully stacked supplies, weapons and shuttles after every disaster) which Voyager betrayed every time. The only element they kept up with was the whole rations-as-money idea.

roygrady

Auditioning
Real Name
Roy Grady
I totally agree with your on this point -
-The Borg became far too overused, losing any sense of suspense.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Far too often, the show was a cheat. The tipping point for me may have been in one of Q's appearances, when he offered to send the ship home. Janeway refused, saying that the crew would only get home by hard work and perseverance. And I thought, well, no they won't. They will only get home - more than 70,000 light years - by some bit of good luck or space phenomenon - random chance, essentially. Because all the hard work in the world is going to take 70 years and the crew will be dead.

I found the show to have the weakest writing of any Trek show, even Enterprise's first three years, despite a fine cast who seemed to do their best with what they were given.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I don't at all agree with the criticism regarding the Borg. For one thing, you could make the argument that the Borg are the best antagonists in the Trek universe. So why not use them? They are interesting and with Voyager we get to know them better.

One of my favorite aspects of the show is that they are stranded so far from home and so near the Borg. Of course, the Borg are going to be a big factor in their journey.

Sam, I also tend disagree with your comments above. I don't think hard work and perseverance are mutually exclusive with luck and space phenomena. Refusing Q's offer is a different matter to me. To me it was more about integrity.

Using Borg technology and space phenomena to get home is something different entirely. They risked a lot to make it happen and their previous hard work made it possible. Their dealings with the Borg and others prepared them for what they had to do to make it home.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I already commented about the Borg above, but I think it is natural that they were used a lot and that the suspense diminished. That is what would happen if you had regular encounters with any adversary.

Did you want the Doctor's character to stay the same? I'm glad he had some kind of development.

I'm with you on some of the holodeck episodes. My least favorite Next Generation episodes were the ones using the holodeck and I had problems with many of Voyager's holodeck episodes too, but there were some that I thought worked quite well.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
The core idea of two crews being stranded so far from home, having to settle their differences and work together, was a great idea and that's why I loved how it began, and enjoyed the first three seasons so much.
This idea also came with a catch, that ended up becoming totally ignored, which I already explained when I mentioned "Equinox":

(quoting myself)
That was supposed to be as important as the 'two rival crews working together to get home' idea. Neelix's daily presence on the show, cooking real food because they didn't have the resources to use their replicators on a normal basis in addition to his serving as ambassador which would allow access to parts, food and other supplies, was grown out of that no-reset-button idea as well.

Instead, Voyager had a perfect-looking ship every time, inside and out, they always had weapons to fight with, always had shuttles to explore with. If they kept up the idea, Voyager itself should have looked like a patchwork quilt made up of all the various parts and resources Neelix and other one-off visitors to the ship were able to help out with.

A positive aspect of the endless Borg stories was that it allowed the show to use some of that original idea, creating several Starfleet/Borg pieces of tech like the "Delta Flyer".

Borg:

By default, Seven of Nine's presence on the show gave way to many a Borg tale, and by having them be that recurring villain stripped the Borg of everything that made them such a great villain originally: The near-unstoppable force they seemed to be, the fear of being turned into one of them and losing all your independence, their general behavior and look, almost zombie-like but all working together with one mind against you...to see all that mystery, suspense, and genuine fright get reduced to 'oh, great here come the Borg yet again....'

The Borg were great in smaller doses, not overused the way they were. That's part of what made "First Contact" so great. The Borg were perfect in that film.

As for the Doctor, part of his appeal was that he was a jerk. I don't watch "House", but I know enough about it to see that the 'crusty mean doctor' idea can sustain a series. I don't mind that Voyager's doctor evolved from that, I just couldn't stand that he turned into someone who was almost the total opposite of that and it was too much, too sweet. He went from one extreme to the other.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
You bring up some good points. The conflict between the Maquis and the Federation should have ended more organically, and it would have been cool if this top-of-the-line "living starship" had limped home a patchwork ship made up of parts scavenged from hundreds of different planets in the Delta Quadrant and with a ragtag crew that looked more like a Maquis than a Federation crew.

That said, I've watched it through twice and will do so a third time when my season sets arrive. When Paramount first announced Trek season sets, Voyager was supposed to be the first and I was thrilled. They changed their minds, and I ended up not getting around to buying them until now. I know it's not a popular sentiment, but I like Voyager third, behind DS9 (my favorite, bar none) and TOS.

I don't mind the transformation of the Doctor. He was basically this show's Data/Odo. They all just wanted to be real boys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks