What's new

Star Trek TOS Special Edition Starts Sept 16th. (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

LOL, oh that was a good laugh. Strange, i told my wife when we were watching i was a little bit Herbert!

You damn kids keep off my lawn, or i will put acid down!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member

Intersting to dig past the top level of this episode and look at the underlying building blocks of this story. Your post and another thing I read about this episode recently reminded me, Severin was like Charlies Manson and could have been the inspiration for this episode. He was pretty whacked! He had his Severin family. This could have been handled better and this could have been a good episode. Reminds me of Spock's Brain, I read it was altered to be serious when it was meant to be funny.

I specifically looked for the shot of the shuttlecraft name! The film was so clean, you could almost see where they repainted that area.

I agree it was silly for them to take them out of the shuttlecraft and onto the acid grass. Even Kirk at one point looked to be resting his hand on the ground.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

That's interesting. I hadn't even thought of the comparison to the 'family,' even though I just watched that film a couple of weeks ago.

I have to admit also that sometimes I like a show depending on the reaction of my children to it. They all love The Way to Eden; and of course, And the Children Shall Lead (since they as children get to see other children in an episode).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Trekmovie has another preview image for this weekend's Requiem for Methuselah, one of my favorite 3rd Season episodes. This is a really nice matte painting, Flint lives very well!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
That's a great shot. Didn't the original episode reuse the image of the castle from The Cage/The Menagerie?

One of the things I love best about these alien world scenes are the other planets/moons hanging in the sky. It gives the scene an exotic look, like nothing we've ever seen on earth.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Agreed. I love the opticals used in TOS. One of my favorites is the one used for Janus VI; others I love are the ones used for The Cage (and/or The Menagerie).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The original Flint castle was a reuse of the painting for the castle on Rigel in The Cage and The Menagerie.

I realized there was something not quite the same about this Max Gabl painting compared to the other's he'd done for Trek Remastered. The ones he's done before were all based on the original matted painting, either a new version of basically the same designs, or new paintings that use the same style and design aesthetic of the originals. The buildings all had that style and design of what designers were doing for futuristic architecture of the late 50's and mid 60's. This new painting definitely feels more influenced by the new Star Wars, eps 1, 2 and 3.

It does look terrific!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Saw Requiem and it looked pretty cool! I only saw the first 15 minutes or so and will watch the rest when time allows.

They did the same thing they did for Amok Time, Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Flint are animated into that new matte paint walking along that bridge from the right side to the left. The orbital shots were cool too as you can see the new planet rendered in purples and earthtones and the two moons in orbit. A nice change from the Earth-like planets done in blues.

Thy didn't alter the shot where Flint shrinks the Enterprise down to the 3 foot model on the set, just of course, the new CGI shots in orbit. And there's a nice aft view shot as the enterprise leaves the planet.

Next week Kirk meets President Lincoln in The Savage Curtain. (He evoked Lincoln!, maybe some of you will know the non-Star Trek source of that line I quoted)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This weekend of July 12 and 13, the Star Trek Remastered airs The Cloud Minders.

Here are some cool preview images from CBS Digital that were posted at Trekmovie. The site says that if you look closely at the center top of the image, you might catch a glimpse of Droxine on her balcony.
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/2/27/htf_imgcache_32557.jpeg] [/url]

This image has an interesting story I didn't know about. The original shot was taken from space, in 1965 by Gemini iV. The image is of Hadramawt Plateau dry river basin in southern Saudi Arabia. The remastering team worked with NASA to find the original image.
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/5/56/htf_imgcache_32558.jpeg] [/url]
Both images are obviously 16 x 9. Interesting how they used the image of the dry river basin and extended for the 3/4 view shot above with the new CGI Stratos in the sky

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes Lou, I agree. And they avoided too much influences of the Cloud City Bespin of Star Wars.

I think it's cool that they went the distance of getting NASA involved to track down the original obital shot of that dry river basin.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
It's puzzling NASA couldn't help them upgrade the Saturn V launch footage used in "Assignment Earth" while they were at it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
If anyone's interested, Spectre of the Gun airs this weekend, then 2 more episodes left till the end.

Next week is The Empath and then the week following is Turnabout Intruder, the last Remastered Production episode to air and the last Star Trek episode filmed.

The Cage is said to be airing in the 2008-2009 TV season. No more details, so that might mean the Remastered Series will continue to air in syndication, or it's a special. Maybe timed with the new Star Trek film?

Ethan, I just re-read your post and it just sunk in!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thought it was interesting enough to post some images of the new effects for Spectre of the Gun. I was surprised as I had not seen this episode in a while. I thought the old buoy was a pretty good model, but I rewatched the opening and it does move with some jerkyness. So the new CGI version and the Enteprise move around each other very smoothly. The new bouy is pretty good too.

What surprised me was they left the Melkotian alone in the first act and used the Mike Minor designed model. But the last shot uses a CGI Melkotian! It works pretty well as it's blurred enough to not be clear it's not the same model.

This was a really good episode in that it felt the most like a first season episode, specifically The Corbomite Maneuver. Not clear why Gene Coon used his other name Lee Cronin here unless he disliked the episode.

With the third season budget slashed to pennies, they were very creative with the set design. And the music was top notch in this episode.

Lots of trivia for this episode, maybe it's time to write some up!

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/7/7e/htf_imgcache_33048.jpeg] [/url]

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Those are some wonderful images. Thanks for posting them. And I look forward to that trivia. :emoji_thumbsup:
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sure Scott, thanks for commenting!

Now thinking about it some, I wonder if they really made a CGI Melkotian and just took an image and Photoshopped it and recomposited in with a new starfield at the end. The way the Melkotian puppet was lit, the new Melkotian in the last shot looks exactly like the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks