What's new

Star Trek TOS Special Edition Starts Sept 16th. (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Still holding out for Trek on Blu-ray.
The local channel that airs Trek is a CW station, and quite frankly, it sucks. Low power, ghosting, and the picture is dark. After i saw all the remastered episodes, i stopped watching it on TV. I never could handle the edits either.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Rick! The CW station here in the San Francisco Bay area is digital, but broadcast Star Trek in 480, if I am not mistaken on the resolution. So it looked soft, and I watch over the air. The image had no ghosting of course, but it was dark as well. I too stopped watching after they all aired.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Nelson, are the remastered episodes dark on DVD as well?
I cant remember if we had discussion of it in one of these threads.

Also as long as we are here, did you bite the Blu-ray bullet yet?
We need to get Lou, and Scott on board. I know Scott is hoping to get one for Christmas from me, but my kids dont even get anything that nice!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Rick- The HD-DVD of the first season looked beautiful and was not dark. Same with the SD side of those discs.

The SD-DVD set of Season Two was similarly beautiful. Though not as crisp of course. What I did notice, and I should compare to the older SD set is that while watching The Doomsday Machine, I noticed the first reel after the teaser up to the first commercial break, the image wasn't as good looking. I don't think it's the fault of the remastering. I think it's the original film elements. Could have been an exposure issue, the Constellation was pretty dark inside. Other episodes had similarly odd looking images, but again, I think it's the source material. Will compare when I have a free minute or 2.

Regarding going blu-ray, I have been focused on the Sony BDP-S550, looks like a capable machine, and much better looking then the Toshiba HD A35! Upconvert reviews have been good too.

It feels like the hardware is pretty much there and more titles I'm interested in is coming out. I am waiting a little longer in case there are some good deals during the holidays! So it will be a holiday gift to myself!

Plus I'm waiting for more feedback regarding the new Bond discs and the playback problems. I've seen one post that the Sony 550 is able to play one disc out of the box without a firmware upgrade. I guess the only thing the Sony can't do is still frames from what I can tell.

If you have any more insights, I'd appreciate it!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
For me the versatility of a PS3 as a BluRay player cannot be beat. It makes a great device for media streaming as well.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
If anyone is interested, the final remastered Star Trek episode will air the first weekend of May. The Cage, presumably the same version in the third season Remastered SD-DVD set, will make it's debut in syndication on both Saturday and Sunday. In time for the new JJ Abrams film, being hyped as, "Before Kirk, there was Pike!"

Check your local listings. And see the trailer here and the trekmovie article:

http://trekmovie.com/2009/04/22/prev...-next-weekend/

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Great! I'm dying to see that first zoom into the bridge from space. It was way to small in "The Menagerie" cuz they were looking at the screen on the wall.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I always hoped that the prequel series (which became Enterprise) would have been set on Pike's ship, with his crew that we saw in The Cage. It was not to be, but it would have been cool.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

For that you would have had to read Strar Trek: The Early Voyages from Marvel Comics in the late 90's. Though a popular title as far as their Trek line went, it was canceled after 17 issues... in the middle of a cliffhanger!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

I believe that concept was discussed, but at that point Paramount wasn't ready for a younger actor to take over the Spock role.

I agree, though, that that could have been a heck of a good series.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I always assumed "Enterprise" was going to be about the ships launch under the command of Robert April, even once Scott Bakula was announced as the lead I assumed that would be his role.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Ric, I collected all those Early Voyages comics. I thought the writing was very good and the art was great. Personally, The Cage is my favorite Star Trek episode. I would love to see a tv series based on Christopher Pike. I wish there were more Star Trek novels based on his adventures.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
The year on that first issue was 1997 and looking back, that was not a bad year for Star Trek...

Deep Space Nine was really amping things up with the Dominion War

Voyager was going into it's 4th season and the Borg were back big time with Seven of Nine in tow.

First Contact (having been released in theaters the November before) was coming out... on laserdisc!

In addition to "The Early Voyages" Marvel Comics was also producing several other series including "Untold Voyages" and "Starfleet Academy"

Pocket books was also going strong with its releases of new fiction spanning all of the series and also introduced an all new crew with Peter David's New Frontier series.

Some may say it was too much, but hey, if you were a fan there was no shortage of new Trek!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

That's not too bad for a franchise that is supposedly 'dead.' ;)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Thanks for that Ric. You just reminded me how far I have to go in the complete Trek comic series DVD-Rom I have before I think about getting to the Telepathy War and EV again. :frowning:

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks