What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Director's Cut (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

trevanian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
I had always assumed, til reading the article, that she had gotten a big head and asked for way too much money. So she's a hit in the II and for a bigger part in III they want to pay her less. I don't blame her for turning it down. I have to think it was some bean counter's decision.

Did they cut the budget for III?

SFS cost between 16 and 18 mil, up from 13 (offically 12) for TWOK. But given III's scope, it probably needed more, and they just spent the money on ILM to give the show scope that the art dept couldn't deliver, once they decided they couldn't afford to shoot Genesis on location in Hawaii and Vulcan in Red River Valley.

Each TOS film sequel cost more than its predecessor, except for TUC, which was made for 30 (TFF went way overbudget, mainly due to FX, which, believe it or not, cost much more than any of the ILM films. Trekbbs had a link that showed TFF actually spent over 5 mil on vfx.)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
FYI... the corrected discs have made it to the stores, apparently. I picked up a copy with the yellow UPC at Best Buy yesterday.
Fry's Electronics was still selling the uncorrected (non-yellow UPC) as of Sunday.The other local retailers I checked no longer stock it at those locations (Target & Wal*Mart)

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Guess what?
A poster at Bluray.com got the new disc, popped it in his computer and it shows an author date of June 9.
The error was first noticed late on June 6 by someone who got an early copy, news spread on June 7-- the official release day and Trekcore and Digitalbits contacted Paramount on June 8.
They were told that they would look into the matter.
And by June 9 they had confirmed the error, found the missing file, fixed it and re-authored the disc.

Wow, wish they were that efficient in the first place.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Or, they were aware of the error before it was reported and had already started working on a fix when it came out in the online press.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
There s some dude over there now saying he works for the company that made the error and it came to their attention on release day and they pluged it in and confirmed it right away and had it fixed within hours. I guess they read the first reports online and checked right away.

Britton

Screenwriter
I finally fired this one up after it had been sitting on the shelf for months. It is a corrected version.

Unfortunately, there are some serious lip syncing issues! The audio is noticeably ahead of the video, and its especially bad during the extended scene in engineering when Kirk is doing his inspection. I am using a Samsung UBD-K8500, outputting 1080p, since I do not have a 4K set (player was a Xmas gift I didn't ask for but happily acccepted).

I tried the following and it did not fix the sync:
1) Setting the audio output of the Samsung player to PCM.
2) Taking my receiver out of my setup by connecting the hdmi cable from my Samsung directly to my tv and playing the sound through the tv speakers.
3) Using the second hdmi output on my Samsung player for audio only.

Is anyone not having lip sync issues? I may pull my Oppo BDP-83 out of the mothballs and see if it works any better despite it being quite an older player.

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I had posted quite a while ago that I was also having lip sync issues using a four year old Sony BD player. It's frustrating. The only other disc I've had this same issue with was "Monsters University."

Britton

Screenwriter
I had posted quite a while ago that I was also having lip sync issues using a four year old Sony BD player. It's frustrating. The only other disc I've had this same issue with was "Monsters University."

I'll report back once I've tried it on another player.

I'm a little bafffled. Would've thought the Samsung UHD player would be able to handle it fine.

Britton

Screenwriter
I tried the disc on a Sony BDP-S3700, and the lip syncing issues are still there. It's still especially bad when Kirk and Preston have their interaction in the extended inspection scene.

Paramount really blew it this between the initial recall and now the syncing issues on the corrected disc. I wish I wasn't so far past the return period. I'll be sticking with the 2009 release and hoping they get it right the next time.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've been holding off watching this blu Ray. I do have the corrected disc. I may check in this weekend. I don't see anyone else mentioning the synch issue. However I have reason to believe it's a HDMI problem and not the blu-ray. When I watch the TOS blu-rays, there tends to be a very very slight lip synch issue. And that set came out in 2009. So what I've done is set my preamp to by-pass mode so it by-passes any processing the pre-amp will do. Then I switch it back to HDMI and the audio is in synch. It must be a timing issue in the HDMI.

However this has been happening to a degree on the TAS Blu Rays, So I just use by-pass mode or just use the TV speakers and the lip synch issue is gone that way. HDMI can't seem to get the lips to synch up on the TAS set.

Britton

Screenwriter
Thanks Nelson. I connected the Sony player straight to the tv with my hdmi cable and the syncing is good.

I have a Denon AVR-3808 CI and so far I have been unable to figure out the bypass mode for it. What exactly does the bypass mode do? Does it just send the video signal from the player to the tv via the pre-amp with no processing? If so, then I am not sure the 3808 has such a mode.

It's been a while since I watched any of the TOS sets but I do recall constantly fiddling with the audio delay.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Nelson. I connected the Sony player straight to the tv with my hdmi cable and the syncing is good.

I have a Denon AVR-3808 CI and so far I have been unable to figure out the bypass mode for it. What exactly does the bypass mode do? Does it just send the video signal from the player to the tv via the pre-amp with no processing? If so, then I am not sure the 3808 has such a mode.

It's been a while since I watched any of the TOS sets but I do recall constantly fiddling with the audio delay.

Page 30 of the manual covers the HDMI settings in the 3808.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Britton, on my pre-amp, the by-pass feature literally by-passes the processor and the pre-amp simply acts as a pass through. Essentially it becomes a volume control and source switch.

For example, I use an Oppo 105 as my player for DVD's, Blu-rays, CDs and audio files from a hard drive. Because the Oppo DAC sounds so good, I use the by-pass on the pre-amp and play audio straight from the Oppo.

Britton

Screenwriter
Britton, on my pre-amp, the by-pass feature literally by-passes the processor and the pre-amp simply acts as a pass through. Essentially it becomes a volume control and source switch.

For example, I use an Oppo 105 as my player for DVD's, Blu-rays, CDs and audio files from a hard drive. Because the Oppo DAC sounds so good, I use the by-pass on the pre-amp and play audio straight from the Oppo.

Okay, gotcha. I take it you are using the 5.1/7.1 analog output connections from the Oppo to the pre-amp in that case. Thanks for all the feedback. Please let us know how it goes when you do get around to watching the disc.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Britton, I finally watched Star Trek 2: The Vengeance of Khan. :) sorry I didn't get to it sooner.

I wanted to avoid watching the whole movie, but it was so engaging that I watched it entirely. It has a very dark image, and the color of the uniforms seem so dark maroon. Not that I'm complaining because it's been so long since I last had seen it. I'd been on a self imposed restriction to watch this film. Why, because I watched it to death after it first came out on VHS, laser disc and DVD. I know it by heart, and I hated to over watch the strength of the ending.

I watched the Directors Cut version, so there was at least a few short bits of material I was less familiar with. My take on the film having been so long away is that it feels so 1980's for some reason. Probably because I saw it theatrically then, and Shatner was on his revival with TJ Hooker.

DeForest Kelley really was right on as McCoy and Shatner was right back in form as Kirk with the script that brought back his character's ability to size up the situation and react after input from Spock or McCoy. I was also very surprised to find Kirstie Alley's performance as Saavik as really good. It's too bad she had bad advice at the time of a Star Trek 3 and 6.

Watching Nimoy was also bittersweet. His character grew so much in this film and his performance was terrific. It's also a shame that Montalban and Shatner never had any scenes together on the same set, but the editing and the acting was so fine by both, you really believe they are together and insulting and jabbing each other. Next up will a viewing of Space Seed.

This just makes what they did with Into Darkness so much a slap in the face.

On Britton's question of the audio lip synch issue. I used my HDMI connection to listen to the multichannel audio as usual. There was a very, very minor lip synch issue. Almost unnoticeable. So I used by-pass to skip the HDMI processing and the lips were in synch, so I reset my processor back to HDMI and it was in synch for the rest of the film. No issue, except perhaps there is a setting in my processor to fine tune that delay out.

Britton

Screenwriter
Hey Britton, I finally watched Star Trek 2: The Vengeance of Khan. :) sorry I didn't get to it sooner.

I wanted to avoid watching the whole movie, but it was so engaging that I watched it entirely. It has a very dark image, and the color of the uniforms seem so dark maroon. Not that I'm complaining because it's been so long since I last had seen it. I'd been on a self imposed restriction to watch this film. Why, because I watched it to death after it first came out on VHS, laser disc and DVD. I know it by heart, and I hated to over watch the strength of the ending.

I watched the Directors Cut version, so there was at least a few short bits of material I was less familiar with. My take on the film having been so long away is that it feels so 1980's for some reason. Probably because I saw it theatrically then, and Shatner was on his revival with TJ Hooker.

DeForest Kelley really was right on as McCoy and Shatner was right back in form as Kirk with the script that brought back his character's ability to size up the situation and react after input from Spock or McCoy. I was also very surprised to find Kirstie Alley's performance as Saavik as really good. It's too bad she had bad advice at the time of a Star Trek 3 and 6.

Watching Nimoy was also bittersweet. His character grew so much in this film and his performance was terrific. It's also a shame that Montalban and Shatner never had any scenes together on the same set, but the editing and the acting was so fine by both, you really believe they are together and insulting and jabbing each other. Next up will a viewing of Space Seed.

This just makes what they did with Into Darkness so much a slap in the face.

On Britton's question of the audio lip synch issue. I used my HDMI connection to listen to the multichannel audio as usual. There was a very, very minor lip synch issue. Almost unnoticeable. So I used by-pass to skip the HDMI processing and the lips were in synch, so I reset my processor back to HDMI and it was in synch for the rest of the film. No issue, except perhaps there is a setting in my processor to fine tune that delay out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks