What's new

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Director's Cut (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
152679_slip.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My Star Trek on video history is a little fuzzy.

Has there ever been an extended cut of this film released before?

Anyone know how much extra footage there is and what the scenes are of?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My Star Trek DVD Collection 7_2008_c.jpg

At least for the first two movies on DVD they had directors cuts so unless they are adding more footage it is just a better transfer. I could have sworn that I heard something about Star Trek: Wrath Of Khan coming out on 4K UHD blu-ray this year.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have been reading that a 4k is probably due.

It's so odd. I always read that "Wrath of Khan" was the best transfer of the TOM Blu-ray releases. It's funny to hear that the transfer on this upcoming one is even better.

I had the SE of Star Trek. Might still have it. Just forgot what extra scenes were added to it.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The extra scenes comprise a total of three-and-a-half minutes and mostly involve the relationship between Scotty and Midshipman Preston. (Preston is revealed to be his nephew.).

The last DVD release was comprised of the Director's Cut.

It's widely acknowledged that the initial theatrical release of WoK in the first Blu-ray box set was the only movie which had been fully remastered for that release. But there's always room for improvement. For example, some review sites stated that the color timing was off compared to the theatrical exhibition.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm happy to support this release, in the hope that Paramount will remaster the remaining films (including the director's cut of The Motion Picture) and put those out on blu-ray.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm happy to support this release, in the hope that Paramount will remaster the remaining films (including the director's cut of The Motion Picture) and put those out on blu-ray.

I will absolutely support it as well. Preordered!

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
The added footage is comprised of 9 parts in 8 scenes. Without spoiling the content for those haven't seen them...

an extended Kirk-McCoy bit
a bit with Kirk-Preston-Scott (longest)
a Carol & staff-Chekov bit
a Carol & her staff bit
a McCoy-Spock-Kirk bit
a Kirk-Scott bit
a Kirk-McCoy bit (2nd longest)
a Kirk-Spock bit
a Saavik-Spock-Kirk bit

It comes to exactly 3 min 30 seconds and it's always nice to see more of the regulars and Saavik whose screen time dwindled in act III.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
None of those trims add to the movie's length in any meaningful way, and they pretty much all enhance the film, whether it's clarifying a plot point or giving more emotional weight to what's happening onscreen. I wonder what the motivation was for cutting them in the first place.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
None of those trims add to the movie's length in any meaningful way, and they pretty much all enhance the film, whether it's clarifying a plot point or giving more emotional weight to what's happening onscreen. I wonder what the motivation was for cutting them in the first place.

For me, it all kind of cancels itself out. I don't mind the extra footage, but I don't need it, either. Actually, for the three Trek films with alternate cuts, I have three different opinions:

TMP: I like the Director's Edition best.

TWOK: I think the theatrical is paced slightly better, but the extra footage is kind of interesting, so it's a toss-up.

TUC: I prefer the theatrical version, as the Starfleet Marines bit seems like half of a subplot, and the torpedo bay scene just feels awkward and redundant.

I don't recall, but does the Directors Cut use the alternate Kirk/Saavik in the turbolift scene early in the movie, or not?

It's the same as in the theatrical. The ABC version was the only one that used the alternate version with more close-ups.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For me, it all kind of cancels itself out. I don't mind the extra footage, but I don't need it, either. Actually, for the three Trek films with alternate cuts, I have three different opinions:

TMP: I like the Director's Edition best.

TWOK: I think the theatrical is paced slightly better, but the extra footage is kind of interesting, so it's a toss-up.

TUC: I prefer the theatrical version, as the Starfleet Marines bit seems like half of a subplot, and the torpedo bay scene just feels awkward and redundant.

If nothing else, it really helps to have met Scotty's nephew earlier in the film - otherwise it seems kinda random that the chief engineer would just show up on the bridge holding the body of one of his co-workers. When you know it's someone he's got a bond with, and that Kirk is aware of that bond, the whole thing makes so much more sense.

For TUC, which torpedo bay scene? It's been a while since I've seen either version. I think my favorite version was the "Special Home Video Version" which had the extra footage but not the ridiculous white flashes during the mind meld scene.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I get where Paramount didn't want to hunt for the film of the deleted scenes, but I agree that they should have included the 3 scenes readily available online--- the one above, the scene where it is mentioned that Saavik is part Romulan and the scene at the end where Kirk formally introduces Saavik to David. That would have taken no work at all and would have been handy to have on the disc rather than having to find them on Youtube

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
It's the same as in the theatrical. The ABC version was the only one that used the alternate version with more close-ups.

I wasn't sure. I have both the original DVD and the DE DVD, but I haven't watched either in years now. And, I wasn't at home when I asked this question. I've seen the alternate turbolift scene before on Youtube, but I couldn't recall if it was in the DE, or at least provided as an extra - but I'm guessing it's nowhere but on Youtube, and in the hands of those who VCR'd it off the ABC airing years ago and still have that copy on tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks