What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Stalled series? There's Hope! (1 Viewer)

brett tolino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
brett tolino
This is the first time I've come to this site in a long time.

I used to post about the shows I wanted to see released or state why I believe a series release did not 'perform to expectations' but was continually put down by some of the know-it-all-people who come here and trash the posts claiming 'The series didn't sell, get over it, its not coming. No one wants it, etc.' and its nice to see there may be some hope on the horizon.

For me, I've stopped buying everything TV on DVD.

I used to be quite the spender and supporter of TV on DVD but after the Dynasty debacle, where Paramount is releasing it piece meal in volume sets, I just gave up. In today's economic climate, its just too expensive to buy piece-mealed then, only to have the studios release the shows I supported seasonally released with extra bonuses unavailable previously in a boxed set. I didn't want to go through that with the volume sets like I did with I Love Lucy.

Also, after years upon years of waiting for many of the shows I purchased to see completion, I guess I just lost interest.

So, here's to hoping some of these shows will see the light of day:

Knots Landing
Party of Five (last tv on dvd I bought)
All in the Family
One Day at A Time
Charlie's Angels
Eight is Enough
Alice
Six Million Dollar Man
Bionic Woman

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert

Hi Brett, I remember reading your posts. I have been checking on news for a while but, like you, I've stopped buying everything TV on DVD right now for the simple reason that nothing released has been of interest to me. I wish classic tv would pick up again on dvd. And not just one release but several in a month like it used to be.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Regarding stalled series, has Universal stopped putting out classic TV releases? It seems like it's been months and months since we've seen any announcement out of them regarding both classic shows they have in progress (i.e. Murder She Wrote, Rockford Files) or new shows. They have apparently been licensing a few out. And they haven't announced any classic shows that are new to DVD. Yet they've been offering them up online like crazy (Netflix and Hulu come to mind).

Honestly, it seems like CBS Paramount is the only one continually issuing the classics on DVD (and despite the occasional screw-up i.e. The Fugitive, they are generally doing a good job). Sony, Fox and Universal appear to be pulling away from the biz for the most part.

Does anyone have any insight as to what's going on? Is everyone moving away from packaged media towards internet streams where they can get advertising revenue? My understanding is the Return on Investment is (or was) much greater with DVD vs. internet releases.

brett tolino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
brett tolino

Thanks Robert!

I still check the news on TVonDVD.com because I would like to buy more TV on dvd but what's being announced currently does not interest me either.

Like you, I'm all for Classic TV on dvd!;)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
it seems like TV-DVD has only become good for current programs. There are five TV-DVD sets coming soon on my "must get" list, and only Family Ties season 4 ISN'T 2007-2008 related (well, South Park's 11th season started in early 2007, but still... it's hardly vintage). There are so many great programs from the 50's-90's that are just sitting around collecting dust and the companies are doing nothing about it.

Real Name
Ryan
I would love to see the rest of Superboy come to DVD (Seasons 2-4). The recent "Superboy DVD Campaign" proves that there is a large demand for the rest of the show on DVD.

I'm not sure if this counts as an abandoned/stalled show, but I would also like to get SpongeBob Squarepants - Season 5:Volume 2 on DVD. I hope the execs at Paramount will confirm the release soon.

The Marvel Action Hour animated series is another show I'm interested in seeing get completed. The fans got the Fantastic Four portion of the Marvel Action Hour back in 2005, but I hope BVHE (or if some other studio picks up the license to issue it) at some point releases the Iron Man one.

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richie
I used to check TVshowsondvd.com every day to see keep abreast of the releases of classic shows.....but the good stuff has become so infrequent, why bother?

And even if something good does come out occasionally, I will no longer buy it unless it is something that compeletes a set I've already started collecting. I will no longer buy the first season or two of any show, for fear that I will have to wait years to get future seasons...if at all.

What they've with All In The Family and Taxi is a disgrace! If sales were good enough for them to put out more than the initial season, then they should warrant the rest of the series- because naturally, the people who bought seasons 1-6 of AITF and 1-3 of Taxi, will almost certainly buy the remaining seasons- so what's the problem?!

Personally, I don't care about extras or other frills (The extras usually royally suck- and even when they are good, you watch them once and that's it- just give me the shows...in a timely fashion!)

This treatment has really tuirned me off of buying DVDs. I had started amassing quite a collection...but I've stopped- as having a bunch of incomplete series doesn't interest me...nor does waiting 10 years to complete a series.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I agree with the same thing. It's funny that after three or four seasons, a company decides to throw in the towel. If the first few seasons justified another set, why stop? There is no reason any series with three or more seasons out on DVD should be abandoned. I mean, it takes Fox 2/3 of the way into Bob Newhart to realize he's not going to make the same money for the company that The Simpsons (which seems to have gotten abandoned too even) does?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

But you're guaranteeing that the show won't be continued if you don't buy it.

The problem with classic TV, and the subject of an upcoming editorial, is that there can be HUGE dropoff between sales of season sets. You want to know why a show got to season 4 and not further? It's because 30% of the people that bought season 1 collected up to season 4. The dropoff is simply too huge for the companies to continue releasing the show. I have sales data from one studio, and they saw nearly a 70% dropoff between seasons 1 and 2 for a series. YIKES!

Gord

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
well, one thing the studios don't seem to consider is that a lot of fans don't necessarily rush to the store to get season 3 or something of a show they like. They'll get it in their own time. I have a friend who bought Roseanne and Golden Girls season 1's when they first came out, and three years on he's just finally getting around to getting the rest of the sets. Just because something hasn't sold YET doesn't mean it's not going to sell ever. When it's an older show, people don't feel the need to rush and get it asap to catch up before the next season begins as is the case with Lost, 24, Prison Break, Housewives, etc...

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Gord,

The dropoff in sales is a very valid concern and I look forward to reading your article. If I may please make a request: assuming you can get some comments from CBS/P, please address how the use of split seasons has impacted the sales decline between seasons. Obviously this technique must be working for them or they wouldn't use it so frequently. Do the split seasons partially mitigate the dropoffs because more stores will stock them or because the price point is (in theory) lower for a half season.

I'm personally not crazy about split seasons but if it makes these releases economically viable I'm more than happy to support them.

Thanks.

Steve

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
So does this mean the studio gives up or is it possible they would pick it up again in the future? Doesn't give me a strong feeling about completing some series I've already begun collecting.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Steve, I've heard (from more than one studio), that retailers were scared of high-priced classic TV sets, so they put pressure on the studios to reduce the price, which resulted in the split seasons. They'd rather have two sets at $34.95 than one set at $70. I believe the first split set was Fox's season 2, vol 1 release of Lost in Space.

I don't think I'll get any co-operation from CBS/Paramount right now; I didn't even bother approaching them for the article.

Gord

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

But i don't quite understand that, In a few instances sure it can makes sense. But most of the split sets you have two-sets @ $39.99 msrp over 1 set at $49.99 msrp. What makes more sense to me is retailers would prefer the 1 set for shelf space purposes. This simply cries of studios trying to maximize profits in most cases. Which from the start i was very much against. But i have warmed up to it aslong as they follow through till the end of shows run.

Edit To Add: I see what your doing your doubling the msrp which is a copout in a way. If a show was originally being released with a full season ala dynasty for $49.99 msrp. Then you come along and for Season 3 and give the reason you did it just does not fly. Now for a show that has never come out and you want to say if they were to release a full season set it would be double the msrp. Fine that is one thing but to change the rules in the middle of the game. No doesn't fly for me.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Of course that's why they do it. It's a win-win for the studios and the retailers because the retailers get the lower price they want on individual releases and it doubles (or more) the studio and retailer's take in the end. It's a business so they're going to go for as much money as they can.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Gord, thank you. I understand your reluctance to approach CBS/P although in my opinion your earlier editorial that may have caused this impasse was entirely accurate and justified. They've done so much for classic TV on DVD that I feel badly that their reputation has taken a major hit recently. At the same time, they did it to themselves and have nobody else to blame.

Curt*K

Auditioning

Whats is up with CBS Paramount? They have stalled several of my shows as well as other studios. I dont care whether its a split season or a full season set as long as as I get to finish the series.

Here is a list of my stalled series:

Baa Baa Black Sheep
Seaquest DSV
Mork and Mindy
The Big Valley
Simon and Simon
St Elsewhere
Fall Guy
Hart to Hart
TJ Hooker
Quincy ME

I am anxiously awaiting to see how they doe with Jake and the Fatman as well as Cannon.

Thanks

Curt*K

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It's not just the editorial. It may not even be that at all. CBS/Par is also upset with us for other things, such as when they send info and art to retailers that isn't meant for the press's eyes just yet, and then my retailer friends forward it on to me and I go ahead and post it. So I guess we're upsetting their marketing plans somehow, or the natural order of things, or whatever.

What they simply don't get, I suppose, is that in an internet world it makes no difference. A typical fan of a show doesn't give a crap if he sees art and extras first at our site, or at a retailer's website. And if someone sees it at the retailer site first, then they'll probably send us e-mails telling us that we're falling down on the job, because someone - a retailer! - beat us with this "news".

So what would you do in my shoes? The only possible response I have for the studio about this situation is "tough"...which doesn't really earn us any friends over there. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks