What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Stalled series? There's Hope! (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
They didn't release S11 of The Simpsons in December 2007 because they would have been creating their own competition for the video release of the movie. By releasing The Simpsons Movie and S11 at different times, the consumer doesn't have to choose between the movie or the season set and Fox makes as much money as possible.

As for a slowdown, they always say that the hardest part of the releases is getting the commentaries recorded (presumably due to scheduling) so if anything is slowing down releases, it would be that. I think it's safe to assume that The Simpsons is one of Fox's bestsellers so if they're slowing those down then they would have probably stopped releasing everything but 24 and The Family Guy too.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Controversy's over, here is the "heart attack":

The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour DVD news: Rumors for The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour on DVD | TVShowsOnDVD.com

I think I said somewhere along that way that this mystery item would not be a show from the 50's or 60's. My apologies, as I actually haven't had the pleasure of watching any of the Smothers Brothers shows so far (looking foward to experiencing it finally on this release), and at the time I got the 1975-dated show mixed up in my head with the 1967-dated show. Sorry for the mislead! I would have corrected it earlier, but could not figure out how to do so without tipping my hand.

As for the rest, interesting guesses along the way. Hopefully everyone gets what they want sooner or later!

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I thought the heart-attack involved a show post 70's ... Ahh well the Smothers Brothers does nothing for me.. Zero! But for those that enjoy it, they are probably happy about it. Hopefully one of my shows will be news in the coming months. Dave I see that you goofed up the timeframe of the show. Why I outta! ;)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

Me either, as I find the show one-sided and sanctimonious (and if the network hadn't cancelled them the audience would have eventually grown tired of it), but if it gets more variety shows out, than that's a good thing.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I guess its like Gord said, a heart attack is not a good thing. :)

I tried to watch this show again a few years ago when TV Land? ran it. Damn its dated, to the point of not funny. Same is true with Laugh In as well. IMO of course. But for you guys that love the show, enjoy. I bet TL does a wonderful job with it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I thought Laugh-In held up better, largely because of the sheer energy its talented ensemble, and the fact it didn't take itself seriously at all; it had the feel of a burlesque show transplanted into the 1960s. Of course it's kitsch and reflective of the pop culture of the time, but that's a huge part of its appeal, to me anyway.

I can't agree with that at all. To me, "bad TV" constitutes the shows with no redeeming values at all. Shows with no entertainment value whatsoever, not even as kitsch. Not mediocre shows you can just turn off and forget about (which often get listed as the worst of all time, but in fact are so inconsequential as to not even be worth that designation), not even shows that are so ridiculously goofy that you can't help but watch, but the utter dregs of the medium. Some are so bad they make you worry about the future of Western Civilization.

Sid and Marty Krofft produced "Pink Lady and Jeff," a show where I thought I could at least laugh at how misconceived it was. Nope. It was excruciatingly bad and an absolute chore to watch. The only thing funny was that Larry Hagman turned down SNL but did this turkey. That, to me, is bad TV. I'm not familiar with the stuff like H.R. Pufnstuf, Lidsville, Sigmund and the Sea Monsters, etc. to pass judgement on it. They can't be anywhere near as bad. At least with shows like that you can be amused by how the Saturday morning network brass let such obviously drug-influenced imagery onto TV that kids would be watching. Pink Lady and Jeff is a show with a bad conception, and even worse execution. It helped destroy the venerable variety show; if The Brady Bunch Variety Hour couldn't do it, this show sure did.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Only if you're not old enough to remember the culture of the time. To many boomers it's still entertaining.

Okay, I just read the press release and it's officially weird. They're starting with the 3rd season? And it's a "best of"? Does that mean song performances will be edited out? If that's the case it may not be worth the effort to get the show. If I buy a variety show I want the music intact. Otherwise it's not variety, it's just skits.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I think season 11 and the movie would've both sold even more copies if Fox released them on the same day and places like Best Buy and Target had "buy both, save $10" type specials

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Yea, but i am 44. I remember watching this, and Laugh In, when they were new shows. Smothers Bros. was a favorite of mine, and that i was sad when it was gone. Remember as a kid when you wouldnt understand why it was gone, cause you liked it!
Anyway, you would have to be my age, or older to even know what the hell is going on. I do understand that it can still be enjoyed, it just didnt work for me. And it would be hard to have a "best of" if your gonna limit the seasons used.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
with all due respect? Why the hell not? Mama's Family is still very popular in syndication, so I think there's a market for it on DVD if the DVD's were done correctly. And there are other 70's and 80's shows like Growing Pains, Chico And The Man and Alice that either are abandoned or only barely released on a "best of" set that people would want.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
Universal is doing a sale like that just this week with Incredible Hulk. They also did it when they released two Miami Vice seasons at once. Those types of sales are always enticing to fans.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

They're only doing 1950s shows because they haven't been touched at all. The 1970s and 1980s shows have been done, just halfheartedly.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Over on the Shout! Factory website Brian Ward has confirmed that the Universal fire will eventually impact their future release plans:

Although it is clear that the worst case scenario is that the prints Universal had been supplying (Ironside) and were planning on supplying (future releases) may have gone up in smoke could this be a blessing in disguise "if" Universal uses their insurance proceeds to strike new prints of these series which presumably would be better than the ones stored? For example, although quite acceptable the Ironside prints were timesped and lacked the crispness that CBS/Paramount shows from the same era exhibit.

Yes, I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy :)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

Depends on the studio's priorities. I'm still stunned over the lost of the 35mm prints used for the rep/revival theater circut!

Seems to me this 'vault' was the working library for the studio overall.

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
I think I've just about given up on completing any of the stalled series in my collection. I only collect the stuff from the '70's & '80's, and everything I've seen for the last few months in terms of news is all new stuff which is on the air now..
Quite dissapointing considering I've been waiting 3-4 years to finish some of these series..

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

I feel much the way you do.. While i collect a few current shows (Boston Legal, Galactica, House and a couple others), most of my tv collection is 70's and 80's stuff. It is quite sad that so many probably will not be finished. I keep holding out hope to receive an email as i check my mail everyday. But nothing has been announced in ages for the stalled stuff i am collecting. Yes sad indeed!

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
When are we going to hear about other stalled series been given a chance? Anyone with any sort of timeframe??
Thanks

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I know how you feel. I've been waiting a ridiculously long time for some news on a classic tv show I've been collecting. Even Kate & Allie which was said to be coming out has been silent. No news on a release date or anything. Gimme a Break!'s pointless bundle release had a date change and no one even posted news about it. Instead of nurturing what's left of classic tv fans, they are alienating us more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks