What's new

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Since we are discussing Elvis movies in addition to Spinout, I was quite surprised to read that Stella Stevens did not want to do and hated doing GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS!

Stella made no secret of her unwillingness to make 1962's Girls! Girls! Girls!

In 2004 she said: "I was sent the script by Paramount to read. And I thought, 'Hm, he’s from Memphis, and so am I. That’s a good idea to put us together.' So I read the script. I wound up throwing it across the room! I thought, 'What a piece of sh**. I’m not going to be in this.'"

Even when the studio threatened to blacklist her, Stella would not back down.

She added: "I said, 'I’ll starve. I don’t care. My child will starve because of you, and we will die because of you because I will not do this junk.' So they said, 'Please reconsider', and they promised that my next film would be with Montgomery Clift. And I said, 'Oh, well, yes. Okay, I’ll do the Elvis picture. It’s only six days’ work, and I’ll just forget about it.'"
Considering some of Stella's film in her later career, Girls! Girls! Girls! is Oscar material.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
Does anyone know if the BLUE HAWAII 4k release sold well enough to warrant Paramount issuing a follow-up for one of their properties?
The 4K disc of Blue Hawaii has serious problems with the DolbyVision encode on many projectors. I have confirmed this with several projector owners. The included Blu ray disc is spectacular, but Paramounts version of DolbyVision is not ready for many 4K projectors. Saturday Night Fever (another Paramount 4K) has similar problems.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Considering some of Stella's film in her later career, Girls! Girls! Girls! is Oscar material.

In her defense, she received an Oscar nomination for her performance in The Ballad of Cable Hogue, a far superior film than Girls! Girls! Girls!

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I like Stella Stevens fine but her quote is a little ironic seeing that she ended up in stuff like Bikini Hotel and Megaconda.
However, this is a Spinout thread and the film looks BEAUTIFUL! One of the most colorful BDs ever.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Unfortunately, her comments in later interviews about making the film are personal. She and Elvis did NOT hit it off.

That is unusual, because it’s difficult to find anyone who worked with Elvis that had a bad word to say about him, both in front of and behind the cameras. By all accounts, he was a total professional.

bobclampett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Banks
The 4K disc of Blue Hawaii has serious problems with the DolbyVision encode on many projectors. I have confirmed this with several projector owners. The included Blu ray disc is spectacular, but Paramounts version of DolbyVision is not ready for many 4K projectors. Saturday Night Fever (another Paramount 4K) has similar problems.
What projector model do you own?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Spinout 12.19.66.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Unfortunately, her comments in later interviews about making the film are personal. She and Elvis did NOT hit it off.

That is unusual, because it’s difficult to find anyone who worked with Elvis that had a bad word to say about him, both in front of and behind the cameras. By all accounts, he was a total professional.
To get some perspective on this, it's essential to read the interview with Laurel Goodwin by Tom Lisanti in Drive-In Dream Girls.

bobclampett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Banks
I have a Barco Balder Cinemascope model and have friends who have a Sony 5000.
They make great projectors. Visiting family in Temecula CA about 10 years ago was really impressed with the Barco projectors the Regal cinema chain used there. Not so much with the Sony's used at Edwards. Really bad contrast ratio. The Barco Balder like 99% of projectors doesn't support Dolby Vision. Was wondering if you tried turning off HDR and if that made a difference on Blue Hawaii. Haven't bought the Blue Hawaii 4k disc yet so can't say how it looked on my projector, Benq X3000i. Definitely not in the same league as the your Barco. I tend to prefer Elvis movies (and soundtracks) that are heavier on the Rock & Roll like Spinout but hope to add Blue Hawaii 4k at some point.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
They make great projectors. Visiting family in Temecula CA about 10 years ago was really impressed with the Barco projectors the Regal cinema chain used there. Not so much with the Sony's used at Edwards. Really bad contrast ratio. The Barco Balder like 99% of projectors doesn't support Dolby Vision. Was wondering if you tried turning off HDR and if that made a difference on Blue Hawaii. Haven't bought the Blue Hawaii 4k disc yet so can't say how it looked on my projector, Benq X3000i. Definitely not in the same league as the your Barco. I tend to prefer Elvis movies (and soundtracks) that are heavier on the Rock & Roll like Spinout but hope to add Blue Hawaii 4k at some point.
It plays nicely with most HDR material but someone mentioned Paramount uses a double incode method on their DolbyVision titles . Saturday Night Fever is bad also. It doesnt help to turn HDR on or off. Other studios 4K material looks great, as well as pre 2023 Paramount titles.
Thanks for your comments!

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Renoir is my favorite director but I love these 60s movies . Spinout or The River is a tough choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.