What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Fright Night (1985) (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
90eccdc8-6bbf-4ad8-993a-1ef0d4687be0.png
THE FAN-FAVORITE 1980s HORROR CLASSIC DEBUTS ON
4K ULTRA HD™ WITH OVER 14 HOURS OF SPECIAL FEATURES
4a9019dd-d8e0-d7e6-fbdf-2eebefb516b7.png
dc61a5df-539b-55ba-b679-56e859984bbd.png
AVAILABLE AS A LIMITED EDITION STEELBOOK
OCTOBER 4TH
SYNOPSIS
Meet Jerry Dandrige. He's sweet, sexy, and he likes to sleep in late. You might think he's the perfect neighbor. But before inviting Jerry in for a nightcap, there's just one thing you should know. Jerry prefers his drinks warm, red, and straight from the jugular! It's FRIGHT NIGHT, a horrific howl starring Chris Sarandon as the seductive vampire and William Ragsdale as the frantic teenager struggling to keep Jerry's deadly fangs out of his neck. Only 17-year-old Charley Brewster (Ragsdale) knows Jerry's bloodcurdling secret. When Charley can't get anybody to believe him, he turns to TV horror host Peter Vincent (Roddy McDowall), who used to be the "Great Vampire Killer" of the movies. Can these mortals save Charley and his sweetheart Amy (Amanda Bearse) from the wrathful bloodsucker's toothy embrace? If you love being scared, FRIGHT NIGHT...will give you the nightmare of your life.

DISC DETAILS & BONUS MATERIALS

4K ULTRA HD DISC

• Feature scanned from the original camera negative and presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision
  • All-new Dolby Atmos audio + 5.1 + original Dolby Stereo
BLU-RAY™ FEATURE DISC
  • Feature presented in High Definition, sourced from the 4K master
  • 5.1 + original Dolby Stereo
  • Special Features:
    • NEW: Deleted Scene Storyboards – Tom Holland guides us through the film’s only deleted scene, using his personal pre-production storyboards
    • NEW: Holland/Beyda Spec Trailer with an Introduction by Tom Holland – the never-before-seen alternate trailer cut by Fright Night editor Kent Beyda with the guidance—and narration—of Tom Holland
    • Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Tom Holland, Actors Chris Sarandon & Jonathan Stark, Moderated by Filmmaker Tim Sullivan
    • Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Tom Holland, Actors William Ragsdale & Stephen Geoffreys, FX Artist Randall Cook, Moderated by Journalist Jeremy Smith and Filmmaker Tim Sullivan
    • You're So Cool, Brewster! The Story of Fright Night
    • What is Fright Night
    • Tom Holland: Writing Horror
    • Theatrical Trailers
BLU-RAY™ SPECIAL FEATURES DISC
  • Special Features:
    • NEW: Fright Night 35th Anniversary Script Read – an anniversary cast reunion and script reading featuring writer/director Tom Holland and special guests including Rosario Dawson, Jason Patric, and many more!
    • NEW: The Queer Lens: Bryan Fuller in Conversation with Amanda Bearse – a candid discussion between Fright Night aficionado Bryan Fuller (Hannibal, Queer for Fear: The History of Queer Horror) and Fright Night star Amanda Bearse about the Gothic’s queer roots, the film’s queer subtext, and its metaphorical power
    • NEW: A Novel Approach: The Splatterpunk Story of the Fright Night Novelization – Tom Holland, Fright Night novelization authors John Skipp and Craig Spector, and publisher Mark Alan Miller discuss how the progenitors of the splatterpunk genre came to work on the book, their writing process, and the novel’s enduring legacy
    • NEW: SFX Storyboard Comparisons – a selection of original storyboards from key effects sequences, compared with their final filmed versions
    • Roddy McDowall: From Apes to Bats
    • Tom Holland and Amanda Bearse Talk Fright Night
    • Round Table with Tom, Stephen and William
    • Shock Till You Drop Presents Choice Cuts with Tom Holland and Ryan Turek
    • First Ever Fright Night Reunion Panel - Fear Fest 2 (2008)
    • Weekend of Hell Panel with Amanda and Stephen
    • Vintage EPK with Behind-the-Scenes Raw Footage

CAST AND CREW
Written and Directed By:
Tom Holland
Produced by: Herb Jaffe
Cast: Chris Sarandon, William Ragsdale, Amanda Bearse, Stephen Geoffreys and Roddy McDowall

SPECS
Run Time:
Approx. 106 minutes
Rating: R
4K UHD Feature Picture: 2160p Ultra High Definition, 2.39:1
4K UHD Feature Audio: English Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Compatible) | English 5.1 DTS-HD MA | 2-Channel Surround DTS-HD MA

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Really want this, but can't upgrade everything to 4k! :(
So, if I want to keep the isolated score I must keep the TT Blu-ray.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Really want this, but can't upgrade everything to 4k! :(
So, if I want to keep the isolated score I must keep the TT Blu-ray.

I'm all about upgrading to Atmos. My rig's Dolby Surround and DTS: Neural X upscaling are both really effective, but ultimately I can't resist a native Atmos or DTS:X soundtrack!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Will get this as it's one of my favorite 80's films, and given the new extras and Atmos remix.

Though it's kind of odd to see Sony finally showing some interest in this title, with not just 4K and Dolby Atmos but with new extras too, given the way they treated it as a bastard step-child for years. Only after Twilight Time sold out their two limited editions almost immediately did Sony seem to show any interest in this film and put out their own blu-ray.

Now if someone could just figure out how to do the same for Fright Night Part 2 (1988), which has never had a decent release, ever, on home video, IMO. My first VHS was an EP speed pan-and-scan version and the Artisan DVD seemed like just a dupe of that same VHS master. Nothing official since then, though an HD master seems to exist for television airings and has been released on disc in Europe (though likely a bootleg).

There were reports in late 2020 that Director Tom Holland was working on a sequel that would ignore all other sequels/remakes and pick up after the original film. I haven't heard anything about that recently.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Will get this as it's one of my favorite 80's films, and given the new extras and Atmos remix.

Though it's kind of odd to see Sony finally showing some interest in this title, with not just 4K and Dolby Atmos but with new extras too, given the way they treated it as a bastard step-child for years. Only after Twilight Time sold out their two limited editions almost immediately did Sony seem to show any interest in this film and put out their own blu-ray.

Now if someone could just figure out how to do the same for Fright Night Part 2 (1988), which has never had a decent release, ever, on home video, IMO. My first VHS was an EP speed pan-and-scan version and the Artisan DVD seemed like just a dupe of that same VHS master. Nothing official since then, though an HD master seems to exist for television airings and has been released on disc in Europe (though likely a bootleg).

There were reports in late 2020 that Director Tom Holland was working on a sequel that would ignore all other sequels/remakes and pick up after the original film. I haven't heard anything about that recently.

I don't know how well FRIGHT NIGHT did theatrically. If it did only moderately well, that could be the reason why it went under the radar with Sony for so many years.

But you are correct that it was Twilight Time that showed Sony how popular this film was and how big a fanbase it had.

I would almost guarantee, given Sony's track record for putting out quality 4k catalog releases that this is going to look and sound sensational.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't know how well FRIGHT NIGHT did theatrically.
Yes, it wasn't a blockbuster, but it was profitable and has seemed to become a cult favorite in the years since it was released theatrically and is a perennial favorite on TV around Halloween.

It grossed about $25 million in 1985 (about $64 million adjusted for inflation), against a reported budget of about $8 million at the time. Oddly, Sony opened the film the first week in August against Back to the Future and NL European Vacation. Seems like a Halloween release would have been more appropriate.

1657561190759.png

Last edited:

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Fright Night was well-liked by us 80s teens at the time. Then, so were MOST of the films on that list. What a time to be alive. Fright Night got real popular, picked up steam on the premium channels.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't know how well FRIGHT NIGHT did theatrically. If it did only moderately well, that could be the reason why it went under the radar with Sony for so many years.

But you are correct that it was Twilight Time that showed Sony how popular this film was and how big a fanbase it had.

I would almost guarantee, given Sony's track record for putting out quality 4k catalog releases that this is going to look and sound sensational.
I remember seeing it in a movie theater back then and it was far from being crowded. Those were the days when I would go to the movies every single week, some times multiple times whether on the weekend and/or during a weekday matinee.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I remember seeing it in a movie theater back then and it was far from being crowded. Those were the days when I would go to the movies every single week, some times multiple times whether on the weekend and/or during a weekday matinee.

I was working at a movie theater when that movie came out

You have a better memory than I, as I can't remember how full the house was for those performances

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I purchased both of TT BD releases so I'll naturally purchase this 4K release too. I might have purchase the digital, but I'm not confident it will have the Atmos track nor the bonus materials.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Yes, it wasn't a blockbuster, but it was profitable and has seemed to become a cult favorite in the years since it was released theatrically and is a perennial favorite on TV around Halloween.

It grossed about $25 million in 1985 (about $64 million adjusted for inflation), against a reported budget of about $8 million at the time. Oddly, Sony opened the film the first week in August against Back to the Future and NL European Vacation. Seems like a Halloween release would have been more appropriate.

View attachment 144479
Honestly, that is a great opening against Back to the Future and European Vacation.

For my part, I distinctly remember going to see Follow that Bird with my mom that week (I was 5).

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Between this and Bram Stoker's Dracula, there will be more vampire action than you can shake a wooden stake at, coming from Sony on 10/4!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Honestly, that is a great opening against Back to the Future and European Vacation.
Well, it wasn't a direct head-to-head opening, but they were still popular films at that time. BTTF was in its 5th weekend, and NLEV was 2nd weekend. But FN was that weekend's biggest new release over Weird Science and Follow that Bird. And it had a second weekend drop the next week of only 30%, which seems to indicate word of mouth was pretty decent even at that time.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sony keeps pleasantly surprising us with these deep catalog 4K releases, particularly films the studio hasn't shown much love for over the years:

Real Genius
I Know What You Did Last Summer

and now... Fright Night

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The picture on the front page referencing this release is not from this film. It's not even from the remake of this film. It's from the quickie cash-in, Fright Night 2: New Blood (2013).

How does that happen?

1657896270879.png

EDIT: Thanks to whoever fixed this. Much better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks