What's new

Speculation for Warner Bros. 85th Anniversary Celebration (1 Viewer)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The way it has been going, I'm concerned that 85th Anniversary will be celebrating "silence" ...I just can't get my hopes up....especially when they did get to 200 catalog titles as promised. "Goodbye Mr Chips" was supposed to be early 2007...now they've announced up to March ( no Chips or QUO VADIS) or a promised Natalie Wood Collection for late 2007 or early 2008.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Which is why studios don't like doing chats and announcing titles with a targeted release date because if a particular title doesn't come out in that timeframe they'd targeted, we have people complaining that the studio is not coming through with their promises regarding titles and release dates.

Crawdaddy

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I can't complain of Warners. Pratically everything they promissed us they released, something not right on scheduled, but it was worth the waiting. Even the Eleanor Powell set that they said they "hoped" would be released by the end of last year (which I didn't feel that sure about) was remarketed as part of the classic musicals box set due next april (for me the best announcement so far).
As for Quo Vadis, it was been said to be undergoing an extensive restoration, so maybe they will get it ready for Easter Time.
And their annual chat is, for me, THE MOST ANTECIPATED DVD EVENT, every year. I hope they will be with us again in 2008.

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
All the musical box set annoucement all I really want is more Ginger Rogers, Greer Garson, and Norma Shearer.

Rod J

Premium
Real Name
Rodney Jewett
Speculation!
They will repackage some already released some titles with 85th anniversary covers and no remastering (like the John Wayne anniversary discs).

WadeM

Supporting Actor

Ditto... I especially want Carbine Williams to finally get released, but any Stewart's always good!

DanMel

Second Unit
I want to see more released on:

Gary Cooper, Spencer Tracy, Clark Gable, Bette Davis and Jean Harlow. Also, I didn't get into Cary Grant until Notorious was out of print from Anchor Bay and Criterion and not sure what movie company owns the rights to this RKO title now. If it is WB then this is my number one re-release title for 2008 as I just bought 39 of Cary Grant's other titles and this is the only missing dvd that I care to own of his movies.

Test Pilot with Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy and Myrna Loy needs to be released in some kind of box set or on it's own soon. It's a 30's mgm title so I think WB owns the rights to this title and should release it as soon as possable as it is one of the best movies that Gable, Tracy and Loy ever did. I would like to see it in a Clark Gable Vol 2 set or a Spencer Tracy Vol 1 set.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
I hope we'll see a 3rd Controversial Classics Set and a 5th Film Noir Set but every other classic release is fine with me, too.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

The first reel looks a little dupey, but the rest looks fantastic.

Like the rest of the Selznick library, it's owned by Disney as part of the ABC Films catalog. MGM/Fox has had distribution rights for several years, but they haven't done anything with it yet.

(Also, I'm willing to sell my DVD if so interested)

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Just be grateful for that they do realise.

Warners do a bloody good job.

My wallet will be busy for the first few months this year alone.

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme
I want
QUO VADIS
How the West was won as Special Edition
Many Westerns in general
AND
Audio commentaries for all their classic relaseses.
I'm still sad to have Gregory Peck's Captain Horatio Hornblower R.N. without a commentary.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

I agree! I just watched this a few weeks back and thought it looked excellant. I was planning to sell it off after this last viewing, but enjoyed it so much I didn't want to give it up.

It is amazing that Warners first big 'celebratory act was alienating tens of thousands recent HD DVD converts. :laugh: Can't wait to see what further celebrations they have planned.

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
Just announced "The Bette Davis Collection Vol 3" for 4/1 six disc set includes :

In This Our Life
The Old Maid
The Great Lie

Don't know the other films and specific extras are not mentioned

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks