What's new

Speculation for Warner Bros. 85th Anniversary Celebration (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I think there are more MGM stars that Warner owns the movies of that are currently under represented on DVD.
Where are more films of Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy (without Hepburn), Robert Taylor, Elizabeth Taylor, 30's Joan Crawford, Jean Harlow, Norma Shearer, Eleanor Powell, Howard Keel, Kathryn Grayson, Jane Powell, Red Skelton etc.

Also the movie series like Andy Hardy and Dr. Kildare.

Hopefully the 85th celebration will concern all films Warner's owns and not just those that were released by Warner Bros. when new.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

THIS IS CINERAMA for one...

(Those two alone paired with extensive documentaries, interviews, footage, etc. in the extras department would round out a nice 2-disc standard ed. for HTWWW and a 4-disc ult. ed. for the whole shebang.)

I'm not sure where the rights lie but what about the travelogue series with Cinerama Holiday and South Seas Adventure, etc.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
BTW, it sounds to me like this 85th Anniversary promo is going to be more than just a string of box set announcements and star focus on the release calendar...

It seems like WHV are going to be presenting new marketing concepts as far as their classic catalog titles are put out and perhaps some brand new series to go along with it... I can't wait to find out more.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
It would be really interesting to see what will happen during the next 12 months with regards to United Artists since their 90th anniversary is in 2009. Especially with Warner also at the forefront.

What are the chances of seeing more of the unreleased movies from the beginning of the beginning of the 1920's ?

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I think the rights for all the three panel Cinerama travelogue style films from This is Cinerama to South Seas Adventure are held by Disney. So don't expect any DVD release!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
That's too bad... I'd especially like to see TIC released and I was under the impression that somehow Warners had that one, but I guess not. Wasn't their discussion on this very forum a couple of years back about the possibility of it?

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
Well it's January now! Anybody have an idea when the first annoucement will be?

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

I'm with you. 85 years ... when did that become a meaningful milestone? Oh, I'm sure Warner will try to leverage the 'event', but every year Warner puts out films and box sets that reflect their impressive catalog.

Do I expect WHV to put out releases to honor their 85 year history regardless of whether they are money-makers? Nope. So just another year, same process.

ReggieW

Screenwriter

If I don't see the long overdue Jean Harlow Collection this year, I could personally care less about any anniversary.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I don't care if this celebration is due to marketing purposes, since they releases more and more classics, it's excellent for me.
Well, so far we got a Joan Crawford Collection, more gangster and pre-code and, for me the best yet, the musicals box set.
Well for 2008, and in celebration of its 85 anniversary I hope WB announces the highly antecipated Jean Harlow collection and:

Andy Hardy Movies
John Garfield collection
a Ginger Rogers collection (what a great box set this could be)
a Robert Taylor collection
a second volume for Clark Gable
a second volume for Gary Cooper (specially an official version for Meet John Doe. Today We Live, Task Force and Saratoga Trunk wouldn't hurt either)
a Spencer Tracy Collection
a Lana Turner Collection
the mentioned second volume for Busby Berkeley
a large promotion for Bette Davis centennial
5 specifics Barbara Stanwyck titles (His Brother's Wife, The Gay Sisters, The Two Mrs. Carrolls, Cry Wolf, B.F.'s Daughter)
more Cagney, Bogart, De Havilland, Flynn, Sheridan and Garbo
a 5th volume for the film noir collection
Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald
The Picture of Dorian Gray
The Human Comedy
Night Must Fall
Barrets of Wimpole Street

Richard M S

Screenwriter
All of Raphael's wish list (which matches mine completely) along with

Waterloo Bridge
Esther Williams Collection, Volume 2

Corey

Screenwriter
I hope the Bette Davis promotion has at least 10 films:

-Beyond the Forest
-Dangerous
-The Great Lie
-In This Our Life
-All This, And Heaven, Too
-The Old Maid
-The Corn Is Green
-Juarez
-A Stolen Life
-Watch on the Rhine

It can be a big centennial set like Garbo's.

Frank M

Stunt Coordinator
I expect a second volume for James Stewart for his centennial in May. It could include Carbine Williams, Malaya, Magic Town, No Time for Comedy, The Mortal Storm, The Shopworn Angel and other films from the 1930's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks