What's new

Speakers Set Up (1 Viewer)

Long Nguyen

Auditioning
Real Name
Long
Hi all,

Just moved into a new home so I need to set up my home theater system again. Previously, I have a 7.1 system with Polk CSI A6 as center; Polk RTI A7 as main, Polk FXI A4 as surround, Polk Monitor 30 for rear, and Hsu VTF-3 MK5 as sub. Receiver is Yamaha Aventage RX-A1080 with Emotiva XPA-2 and XPA-3 as amplifiers.

Now, my new living room is not ideal. It's 16 ft wide, 9 ft heigh that open to the kitchen with a countertop island. With the layout, I don't think I can set up my surround in the traditional way so I think of going dolby atmos system of 5.1.2. Right now I'm thinking of two ways

1) Ceiling mount my Monitor 30 and use the FXI A4 as rear. If going this route, what would be a nice ceiling mount rack that can hold the monitor 30, and what would be the ideal angle?

2) Or should I need to buy a pair of ceiling Dolby Atmos speaker? If I need to, what would be a good speaker to buy? My budget is around $300.

Here are some pictures for visualization. Any ideas are welcomed. Thanks

Attachments

• 20200412_171601.jpg
    20200412_171601.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 255
  • 20200412_171727.jpg
    20200412_171727.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 262

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’d go with the Monitor 30’s on the back wall and sell the FXi. Bipoles work best in “shoebox” rooms mounted to the sides of the seating. They won’t do well as rears in a 5.1 arrangement. I don’t know how they’d work as Atmos overhead speakers, but I’ve never heard anyone recommend them for that application. In-ceiling is the way to go with Atmos by most accounts.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Long Nguyen

Auditioning
Real Name
Long
I’d go with the Monitor 30’s on the back wall and sell the FXi. Bipoles work best in “shoebox” rooms mounted to the sides of the seating. They won’t do well as rears in a 5.1 arrangement. I don’t know how they’d work as Atmos overhead speakers, but I’ve never heard anyone recommend them for that application. In-ceiling is the way to go with Atmos by most accounts.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thank for the suggestion. Do you have any idea of good in-ceiling speakers to go with my setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks