What's new
World Wide Stereo

speaker question ....?? (1 Viewer)

f1nuts

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason cottee
having got the plasma, the xa2 tosh, will be looking to upgrade speakers and receiver soon.....

i currently have a htib sony 6.1 system , optical for audio, so want to go with a hdmi receiver soon for sound. being new to home surround this was within a budget for me at the time.

i have a 600sq ft lounge and found this basic 6.1 system to be fairly impressive in sound.

i want to upgrade the speakers to start with and picked up a polk cs250-s center speaker for only a couple of bucks and asume this is a fairly old speaker although looks and sounds like new .

is using this speaker going to affect the rest of the surround speakers significantly of the htib , should i hold off till i have a matching set of polks, if so what should i be looking for in the polk range to match that center.

also what about speaker placement, is it best to have the speakers as far apart as possible to send the sound around the room, or is there a limit to how far apart speakers should be......i only ask this as currently i have them as the book tells me to position them... with my main listening position dead center of the room the rear being 3-4ft behind, left and right surround about 14ft either side of my ears , fronts around 14ft also....thanks

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris

14 feet apart for the fronts sounds a bit too wide in my opinion, especially for a 600 square foot lounge with HTIB speakers. Try measuring how far back you are from your left and right speakers and then use that as the distance to put the front left and right speakers apart - to make an equilateral triangle. See if you prefer the way that sounds when you are sitting in your sweet spot, compared to what you have now.

Here's a good primer for how to position your speakers: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/tut...-speakers.html

f1nuts

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason cottee
thanks for the reply.........yes the polk center sounds better....so have gone back to the sony center, till i can get some other polks.

the reference link for setting speakers for your room , is pretty much how mine is ..i am about 12ft away from center speaker, and can not do the same distance for front sides, but just measured agian , and distance to center speaker from sides is 9 ft , ....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satimis
Recent bookmarks