What's new

Sony's Missing Columbia Titles. (2 Viewers)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
There was a series of films made by Warwick Films in the UK during the 1950s and distributed by Columbia but the majority of them have been ignored over the years. High Flight (1957)

This is the first time I have seen anyone mention HIGH FLIGHT. It is an extraordinarily mundane movie with Ray Milland in the RAF. It was, oddly, paired with THE 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD in 1958, which is the only reason I saw it -- twice, once in White Plains, NY, and the other in NYC).

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
David, how is the PQ of this release, and has it any extras?
Looks okay to me, sharper, but I'm no expert on evaluating PQ. I'm watching on a 32" screen. Gate weave is noticeable during the Columbia logo and credits, but since the movie takes place at sea, it's not noticeable elsewhere. Not sure if there was any restoration. Extras include french dubbed audio track, French subs, trailer (3 min) possibly in high def, and a contemporary director interview at a film showing (38 min); the questions are spoken in French, director answers in English.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
MacKenna’s Gold
I had read little bits and pieces years ago that Mackenna's Gold had been under restoration and was going to make an appearance. I watched it (I also saw it theatrically upon its initial release.) on the Criterion channel probably two years ago. It was magnificent, restored (had the scenes with Julie Newmar at the lake in it) and was hoping that was the springboard for a release. Anyone know anything else on the progress of this title? Agree with you folks who are fans of one of my favorites, Strangers When We Meet. Hanging on to my DVD until something else happens.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Looks okay to me, sharper, but I'm no expert on evaluating PQ. I'm watching on a 32" screen. Gate weave is noticeable during the Columbia logo and credits, but since the movie takes place at sea, it's not noticeable elsewhere. Not sure if there was any restoration. Extras include french dubbed audio track, French subs, trailer (3 min) possibly in high def, and a contemporary director interview at a film showing (38 min); the questions are spoken in French, director answers in English.

Many thanks, sir.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks