What's new

Sony Mastered in 4K Blu-rays Available For Preorder (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Peter Neski said:
Ghostbusters never looked good ,and at least from Screen Grabs ,still doesn't look great
My definition of good is looking like film, no contrast boosts, no changing the colour timing or degraining to the point where people look smooth and detail is lost, to that end i think this new release Ghostbusters looks like it could be superb.

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I picked up "Ghostbusters" and "Spider-Man," and both have some troubling issues. The picture cuts out for a few seconds every few minutes, and I'm playing them on a relatively new Sony TV and Blu-Ray player, which is ironic since these are Sony mastered titles. Nothing is wrong with the equipment or HDMI cable. I popped in my old BDs of "Ghostbusters" and "Spider-Man," and they played fine. I suspect a firmware update will be coming soon, but I was also undewhelmed with the picture quality - when I could see the picture! - and will be returning them.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I have no Mi4K titles, so I won't speculate too wildly, but it's interesting to read Jeff's comment above and suddenly my Sony BDP-S790 had a firmware update last night... :P

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
The Sony Store has placed these non 4k titles under the display for there 4k sets,seems like a con Job ,since these BRs aren't really 4k

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Moises said:
...Most notable to members of this forum: there's more than enough disc space on the new "Mastered in 4K" disc for the extras they chose not to include for Ghostbusters. Can't wait for "Mastered in 4K DELUXE"!
Wouldn't that be special for the 30th anniversary next year.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I have seen some screencaps, definately a small increase in detail, not huge but its there.

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Jeff F. said:
I picked up "Ghostbusters" and "Spider-Man," and both have some troubling issues. The picture cuts out for a few seconds every few minutes, and I'm playing them on a relatively new Sony TV and Blu-Ray player, which is ironic since these are Sony mastered titles. Nothing is wrong with the equipment or HDMI cable. I popped in my old BDs of "Ghostbusters" and "Spider-Man," and they played fine. I suspect a firmware update will be coming soon, but I was also undewhelmed with the picture quality - when I could see the picture! - and will be returning them.
I have both of those titles in 4K and no issues playing either one of them (nor any of the other 3 I picked up). Not necessarily worth double dipping for if you have the original releases but at $15 each (for most), a fair price for the quality you get.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Contast and colours are back to how they should be with Ghostbusters, look at the screencaps, detail may not be massively improved ( i didn't expect it to be ) but now we get shadow detail back, colours looking more normal and the removal of the contrast boost means the grain spikes are gone.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cap1=22168&cap2=22178&art=full&image=9&cID=1699&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

Still for me i won't bother upgrading until true 4K comes along or it's available in the UK at an under £8 price.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Japan is getting a bunch of M4K titles on December 20th, including this one:

51-2L6XWgsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Note that it's two BDs, probably because they split the film.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Scott Strang said:
What good are these? Are they just hi bit bd's? I didn't know there were any 4k players out.
To answer your second question: Largely, yes. I believe there is also some proprietary content that can further enhance the disc when viewed on Sony equipment--namely their 4K UHDTVs, but in essence, they are still 1080p resolution BDs, just with high(er) bitrates.

I will be getting the LoA one, though. :)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
So has anyone seen these new 4K transfers on Bluray disc yet? I don't think I would replace a good solid transfer that I already own on Bluray but if I was to buy a title I don't already own I would look at one of these new 4k masters. Heck I am already dying to get a new 4K display! I am in dire need of a display upgrade anyway.

My next display will be one of the following - Panasonic, Sony or Samsung! Absolutely no no no no LG!!!!!

I have a feeling that movies in 4K may be nothing more than a nitch and mostly enthusiast and people with money will have 4K libraries and that 1080p will be around for some time to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks